Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Williams knows Bucs will put focus on him

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep08/stramon0924.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - While the Green Bay Packers are hopeful cornerback Al Harris will return this season from a spleen injury, his replacements are gearing up for their increased roles in the interim.

Tramon Williams, who will replace Harris as the right cornerback, got a glimpse Wednesday into his new world as a dozen television cameras and double the amount of reporters encircled his normally docile locker.

"I love the cameras, man," Williams said with a big smile. "I'm good."

Well away from the spotlight and out of touch with most of his teammates, Harris continued to spend his days seeking multiple medical opinions about the ruptured spleen he suffered Sunday night when Harris collided with linebacker A.J. Hawk.

Coach Mike McCarthy said there was a "good chance" Harris would avoid surgery, which would very likely end his season.

"It's a serious injury," McCarthy said. "We will take a cautious approach. Everything we'll do is in his best interests. We're talking about an internal injury. It's not a hamstring or something that's different based on the individual.

"We're getting as much information as possible. I'm hopeful that he'll be back. The time frame just hasn't been established yet."

What is known is that Harris will not do anything for the next week. If the third and fourth opinions Harris receives in the next two days don't turn up any new concerns, Harris will then be allowed to participate in non-impact workouts in the pool or on an elliptical machine, Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, wrote on nationalfootballpost.com.

If Harris shows significant healing on his next CT scan in a few weeks, Harris may then be allowed to resume "light football activities and practice," according to Bechta.

Harris will see his streak of 175 consecutive games played - which dates back to 1998 with the Philadelphia Eagles - end Sunday, as he has been ruled out for the game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"If Al was standing here, he'd tell you he wants to play this week," McCarthy said. "That's kind of how he feels."

According to Bechta, Harris asked one doctor to remove his spleen so he could play against the Bucs. Obviously the doctor frowned on that idea.

For now, Harris will have to watch his understudy, Williams, perform in his stead with the lessons he learned from watching Harris.

"Everything," said Williams, when asked what he took from Harris. "I mean, the guy's a great player. Just the way he prepares for a game, the way he studies a receiver, the way he breaks down film - just everything. I'm going to come out and bring everything to the table and show with that experience that I learned from him and myself."

It's been a quick rise from obscurity for the 25-year-old Williams. He walked on at Louisiana Tech and then was cut by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent in 2006. It took until Nov. 29 of that year for the Packers to sign him to their practice squad. But once Williams took the field for training camp last year, buried deep down the depth chart, he made an almost immediate impact.

"Tramon has been a great surprise for us," McCarthy said. "Just the way he developed from Year 1 to Year 2 in the off-season, he's a true testament to hard work, the off-season program. He had a good year last year, and we feel very comfortable letting him step in there and play. I'm excited for him, and we won't even blink with him in there."

It's good the Packers have confidence in Williams, because even he knows the odds are high that Bucs coach Jon Gruden and his 67-pass attempt offense that beat the Chicago Bears on Sunday will be seeking out No. 38.

"(I'm) the new guy. You've got Charles Woodson on the other side. Why not?" Williams said. "But, you know, we'll see what's going to happen."

While Williams has played well as the nickel back this season, he has only played on defense in 11 games dating back to last season, including the playoffs. He eventually supplanted Jarrett Bush as the nickel back as Williams proved to have a better combination of athletic ability and ball skills needed in the Packers' scheme.

While Williams has been solid for the most part, he has had some problems. He got nearly turned around by Calvin Johnson on one of his touchdowns for the Detroit Lions in Week 2. Williams also was a little out of position against Dallas on Miles Austin's game-clinching 52-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

But mistake-free performances by the other cornerbacks will prove to be more important with Harris out.

With Bush most likely to be needed at safety because of injuries there, Will Blackmon probably will replace Williams at nickel back. Blackmon, while a great athlete, has limited game experience.

Rookie Pat Lee will also be active for the first time and will be used mostly on special teams. However, with Woodson still dealing with a painful toe fracture, Lee could appear on defense in dime packages. He often looked lost at times in training camp and in the exhibition games. Lee said he's ready if needed, but it remains to be seen whether he can be successful.

"We'll find out," McCarthy said.

"We'll work all those combinations this week. It's important for all 45 of us to be ready to play. It's that type of game. It's going to be a physical contest, a competitive contest."

The Packers have long talked up their young players in the secondary, and their confidence in them should their 30-something starters, Harris and Woodson, finally start to show their age. The Packers maintained they had a succession plan in place. While Harris might indeed be back this season, the opportunity is there for those young players to show they are ready now.

"Absolutely," Blackmon said. "I don't want to sit here and state the obvious, but that's pretty much what it is. If someone goes down, it's an opportunity to step up. We'll show we're ready."

I just listened to him on the radio. Tramon Williams that is. Sounds like a good guy and pretty level headed. I hope he plays well enough that we don't miss Al Harris. I bet Charles Woodson isn't happy about losing Al, aside from being his friend of course. Now he's never going to see a ball thrown his way lol
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
Tramon has improved. Yet he will be targeted.

There is only one way to stop being a target.

If Charles toe keeps getting worse it could be Williams and Blackmon as starters backed up by Bush and Lee.

I expect another High, quality draft pick at CB next season.

The Packers need quality to push and then replace Woodson and Harris.
blank
obi1
15 years ago

Williams knows Bucs will put focus on him

[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep08/stramon0924.jpg[/img_r]Green Bay - While the Green Bay Packers are hopeful cornerback Al Harris will return this season from a spleen injury, his replacements are gearing up for their increased roles in the interim.

Tramon Williams, who will replace Harris as the right cornerback, got a glimpse Wednesday into his new world as a dozen television cameras and double the amount of reporters encircled his normally docile locker.

"I love the cameras, man," Williams said with a big smile. "I'm good."

Well away from the spotlight and out of touch with most of his teammates, Harris continued to spend his days seeking multiple medical opinions about the ruptured spleen he suffered Sunday night when Harris collided with linebacker A.J. Hawk.

Coach Mike McCarthy said there was a "good chance" Harris would avoid surgery, which would very likely end his season.

"It's a serious injury," McCarthy said. "We will take a cautious approach. Everything we'll do is in his best interests. We're talking about an internal injury. It's not a hamstring or something that's different based on the individual.

"We're getting as much information as possible. I'm hopeful that he'll be back. The time frame just hasn't been established yet."

What is known is that Harris will not do anything for the next week. If the third and fourth opinions Harris receives in the next two days don't turn up any new concerns, Harris will then be allowed to participate in non-impact workouts in the pool or on an elliptical machine, Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, wrote on nationalfootballpost.com.

If Harris shows significant healing on his next CT scan in a few weeks, Harris may then be allowed to resume "light football activities and practice," according to Bechta.

Harris will see his streak of 175 consecutive games played - which dates back to 1998 with the Philadelphia Eagles - end Sunday, as he has been ruled out for the game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"If Al was standing here, he'd tell you he wants to play this week," McCarthy said. "That's kind of how he feels."

According to Bechta, Harris asked one doctor to remove his spleen so he could play against the Bucs. Obviously the doctor frowned on that idea.

For now, Harris will have to watch his understudy, Williams, perform in his stead with the lessons he learned from watching Harris.

"Everything," said Williams, when asked what he took from Harris. "I mean, the guy's a great player. Just the way he prepares for a game, the way he studies a receiver, the way he breaks down film - just everything. I'm going to come out and bring everything to the table and show with that experience that I learned from him and myself."

It's been a quick rise from obscurity for the 25-year-old Williams. He walked on at Louisiana Tech and then was cut by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent in 2006. It took until Nov. 29 of that year for the Packers to sign him to their practice squad. But once Williams took the field for training camp last year, buried deep down the depth chart, he made an almost immediate impact.

"Tramon has been a great surprise for us," McCarthy said. "Just the way he developed from Year 1 to Year 2 in the off-season, he's a true testament to hard work, the off-season program. He had a good year last year, and we feel very comfortable letting him step in there and play. I'm excited for him, and we won't even blink with him in there."

It's good the Packers have confidence in Williams, because even he knows the odds are high that Bucs coach Jon Gruden and his 67-pass attempt offense that beat the Chicago Bears on Sunday will be seeking out No. 38.

"(I'm) the new guy. You've got Charles Woodson on the other side. Why not?" Williams said. "But, you know, we'll see what's going to happen."

While Williams has played well as the nickel back this season, he has only played on defense in 11 games dating back to last season, including the playoffs. He eventually supplanted Jarrett Bush as the nickel back as Williams proved to have a better combination of athletic ability and ball skills needed in the Packers' scheme.

While Williams has been solid for the most part, he has had some problems. He got nearly turned around by Calvin Johnson on one of his touchdowns for the Detroit Lions in Week 2. Williams also was a little out of position against Dallas on Miles Austin's game-clinching 52-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

But mistake-free performances by the other cornerbacks will prove to be more important with Harris out.

With Bush most likely to be needed at safety because of injuries there, Will Blackmon probably will replace Williams at nickel back. Blackmon, while a great athlete, has limited game experience.

Rookie Pat Lee will also be active for the first time and will be used mostly on special teams. However, with Woodson still dealing with a painful toe fracture, Lee could appear on defense in dime packages. He often looked lost at times in training camp and in the exhibition games. Lee said he's ready if needed, but it remains to be seen whether he can be successful.

"We'll find out," McCarthy said.

"We'll work all those combinations this week. It's important for all 45 of us to be ready to play. It's that type of game. It's going to be a physical contest, a competitive contest."

The Packers have long talked up their young players in the secondary, and their confidence in them should their 30-something starters, Harris and Woodson, finally start to show their age. The Packers maintained they had a succession plan in place. While Harris might indeed be back this season, the opportunity is there for those young players to show they are ready now.

"Absolutely," Blackmon said. "I don't want to sit here and state the obvious, but that's pretty much what it is. If someone goes down, it's an opportunity to step up. We'll show we're ready."

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I just listened to him on the radio. Tramon Williams that is. Sounds like a good guy and pretty level headed. I hope he plays well enough that we don't miss Al Harris. I bet Charles Woodson isn't happy about losing Al, aside from being his friend of course. Now he's never going to see a ball thrown his way lol

THAT is a good point. As humorous as it was intened to be, whoever takes Harris' position better be ready to be tested.

The learning curve is short and SHARP! What, with Seahawks and the Colts right around the corner, look for a lot of defensive adjustments. Unless he is able to step it up. And it is a BIG step!
blank
gbpfan
15 years ago
i know it will be a tough task for williams but it seems he is ready for it hope he shows it on the field,it also sounds like bush will see more action as a safety with the injuries there i hope these guys step up the talent is there and with wells coming back the o-line should improve i think the pack will be better than what people give them credit for not saying were elite just saying they can win games :icon_smile:
yooperfan
15 years ago
While Williams has played fairly well in short stints, I don't have alot of faith that he can hold up adequately for 30 minutes of defense.
I think the best scenario would be for the offense to control the clock and keep the defense off the field.
Of course Mike McCarthy would have to commit to a running game to do that.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

While Williams has played fairly well in short stints, I don't have alot of faith that he can hold up adequately for 30 minutes of defense.
I think the best scenario would be for the offense to control the clock and keep the defense off the field.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Part I of your post was 100% dead on. Yes. Eat the clock with the O.

Part II, we can make up for a running game with what BF did last year. Remember, we played the first seven games with no running game whatsoever, and I think we only lost one of them if I remember correctly.
Mike McCarthy will need to do the same thing. We'll need to control the clock. Get our O on the field, and stay on the field. What we really need to do is convert our 3rd downs. When you start converting 3rd down after 3rd down, we'll wear down their D and Williams in there in Harris' place won't even be an issue.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
obi1
15 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Part I of your post was 100% dead on. Yes. Eat the clock with the O.

Part II, we can make up for a running game with what BF did last year. Remember, we played the first seven games with no running game whatsoever, and I think we only lost one of them if I remember correctly.
Mike McCarthy will need to do the same thing. We'll need to control the clock. Get our O on the field, and stay on the field. What we really need to do is convert our 3rd downs. When you start converting 3rd down after 3rd down, we'll wear down their D and Williams in there in Harris' place won't even be an issue.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Zombie,

It will still be an issue... Williams should still be better than an Ahmad Carroll or someone like that... I think we will see double teaming to his side a lot.

Collins and Rouse/Bigby have their work cut out for them.
blank
Fan Shout
wpr (4h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (4h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (4h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (7h) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.