nerdmann
14 years ago

I think Ted can and will get the correct Olineman here, where the future coach asks for something different.

My question is does Ted have the balls to cut McCarthy lose?

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Mike McCarthy has until the end of this year to save his job, imo. At least save his credibility with me.
He needs to get this team performing like they are able to on a consistent basis. He's great at scheming and developing QBs, but he can't get his guys read to play, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I think Ted Thompson has the balls to cut Mike McCarthy loose. That's not my concern. My concern is can he bring in a coach that will inspire our better free agents to re-sign with the team? Players like Charles Woodson (yes, yes, I know he's under contract for a few more years) have stated in no uncertain terms that they want to win a Super Bowl. If they start to get the feeling that this administration won't get it done, will we start to see an exodus out of Green Bay? Are the continual irrational fuckups we see purely the result of poor coaching, or are they a form of rebellion, greasing the way under the head coach? If McCarthy really is starting to lose the team, as some speculate, Ted Thompson needs to take action before we lose the roster too.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I don't see Mike McCarthy losing this team. They still fight to the whistle and never give up. They've always done that.
The only excuse I can think of is that it's a real young team. Sometimes you get sloppy play from young players like that. Dunno. But it's starting to piss me off.
Remember, Mike McCarthy was hired in large part to develop Rodgers. He's obviously done that.
Here's another issue. If Mike McCarthy goes, does Capers automatically replace him? I'd love to keep Capers as DC.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Ironic that the vikes fan on here is the most rational. On Defense this team needs youth to fill in for Woodson and Harris, but otherwise is fine for years to come. !

Offense needs a replacement for Grant, and 1-2 real tackles (Barbre/Lang are/will be very compotent back-ups) and maybe one more wr to replace Driver. Otherwise that too is going to be very good for years to come.

If Ted Thompson FINALLY splurges this offseason on 1-2 tackles, and maybe some inside depth, this is a young team poised for some very good things in the future!

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I agree with your last statement.

But really, do you think he'll do it? Has he shown, ever, that he places the appropriate priority on the o-line?

It's a fair question at this point, since we're risking a potential pro-bowl QB behind that "Baby Swiss" line.

"evad04" wrote:

I think if you look objectively at last season our biggest problem was on defense. Ted Thompson reacted by (and understand, this is a big move for him) trading up into the first round and thus locking up two great additions to our 3-4.

I can already promise you (not that it will take much convincing) that our offensive line is this year's singular issue of failure. Thompson is no beduin. He's been around, he understand football, and I'm confident that the offensive line will be suitably addressed. It's not like this offensive line has ever played worse, and moreover it is serving as an OBVIOUS impediment to our success.

My point here is Thompson addressed last season's inequity, the defense. If you want to argue he should have done more with the o-line, that is absolutely fair. My point is that I think given the failure of this unit (the o-line) he'd have to be crazy not to address it.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

You have a sound point (and aside from the fact that Capers appears to be Brett's bitch, I do think that D will round into something very good). I do assert (not arguing, as I know you agree) that more could have - and absolutely should have - been done to address that line. Perhaps Ted put too much weight on McC's counsel in that instance - I suppose we'll never know. What I do believe, and very strongly, is that any GM who doesn't exhaust every avenue available to him isn't doing the best job he can do. I'll need to see that effort this offseason from Thompson, because Rodgers' health is at stake, be it physical or mental.

It's obviously priority No. 1, followed by upgrades at RB and safety - count me in the "not yet ready to riot but getting very skeptical" camp, and ready to riot if our extremely promising QB doesn't make it out of this season intact.

"musccy" wrote:

Capers' D didn't lose either of these games.
UffDaVikes
14 years ago

Well, I have also been looking at 2010 FA prospects.

Remember, the CBA "off" agreement will be more favorable for teams that don't make the playoffs- FA-wise.

What is it? Top 8 are "effectively" out of the running for FA acquisitions, correct?

I'm going to be looking into all of that when I calm down some more.

You could expect a geezer to be available.

That might be about right for us, though.

I just don't wanna hear no damn Crabtree-like talk when the draft starts rollin' in.

DanjustDan posted some stuff about some QB out of Appalachian State ...like yesterday. I read it this morning. I damn near blew a gasket, and he never even SAID anything. LOL

"dfosterf" wrote:

I might suggest Ryan Cook of the Vikings, who is scheduled to be a FA next year if I am not mistaken.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

I think Ted can and will get the correct Olineman here, where the future coach asks for something different.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Mike McCarthy has until the end of this year to save his job, imo. At least save his credibility with me.
He needs to get this team performing like they are able to on a consistent basis. He's great at scheming and developing QBs, but he can't get his guys read to play, imo.

I agree with this post of yours. However, McCarthy won't be fired this year. I think Thompson and McCarthy are attached to each other for the rest of their run in Green Bay or until one steps aside. I don't think Thompson will fire McCarthy. Now, Murphy could fire Thompson and bring in his own GM and that GM could fire McCarthy, but again, I don't see that happening this year either.

Not that it shouldn't though because if this team falls back like it did a year ago, it should.
djcubez
14 years ago

I think we are a really good team. We lost to cinci, whos good, and minnesota twice. In this game is we eliminate a couple mistakes I think we win. State of the Franchise = good

"El3ment12" wrote:

It's hard not to like your optimism but now that I've had a whole day in between the Vikings loss I've been thinking more clearly. All three losses are against either the Vikings (7-1) and the Bengals (5-2). It's hard to admit as a Packer fan but the Vikings are a good team and we did play two emotionally fueled games against a quarterback known for legendary games in high emotion situations. If we can continually put up points through the passing game and fix at least half our usual mistakes I think we'll be a better team. The 3-4 is still developing and should hopefully improve over the coming weeks. The two losses to the Vikings leave a bad taste in all Packers fans mouths but the season isn't over--far from it--and even with the bad there's a lot of good to look forward too.
djcubez
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"nerdmann" wrote:

I agree with this post of yours. However, McCarthy won't be fired this year. I think Thompson and McCarthy are attached to each other for the rest of their run in Green Bay or until one steps aside. I don't think Thompson will fire McCarthy. Now, Murphy could fire Thompson and bring in his own GM and that GM could fire McCarthy, but again, I don't see that happening this year either.

Not that it shouldn't though because if this team falls back like it did a year ago, it should.

I think the 3-4 scheme change and bringing in an entire defensive coaching staff buys both Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy one more season, barring a Lion-like season this year.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

Depends who is out there. Let's say there's a good HC just hanging by the telephone and Murphy lets Ted Thompson know his job is on the line if he keeps Mike McCarthy and fails to call this good HC.

I'm under the impression that TT's job is a lot more safe than MM's. As a team, we have talent. We have a pathetic OL, but other than that, we're an above average ball team, and dare I say have potential to be elite if we had an average OL. That's our Achilles' Heel. That said, we falter with bad playcalling, bad penalties, bad leadership. That's on MM, not TT.

As I said in another thread, I like Mike McCarthy as a person. He's a damn good QB developer. But that's all he should be. It's the Peter Principle. Mike McCarthy has successfully risen to a level of incompetence. He should be a QB Coach, not a HC.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Stevetarded
14 years ago

Remember, the CBA "off" agreement will be more favorable for teams that don't make the playoffs- FA-wise.

What is it? Top 8 are "effectively" out of the running for FA acquisitions, correct?

I just don't wanna hear no damn Crabtree-like talk when the draft starts rollin' in.

DanjustDan posted some stuff about some QB out of Appalachian State ...like yesterday. I read it this morning. I damn near blew a gasket, and he never even SAID anything. LOL

"dfosterf" wrote:

I wouldn't consider Armanti Edwards to be Crabtree like though. He will probably go somewhere like the 6th or 7th round or be a UDFA.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I wouldn't consider Armanti Edwards to be Crabtree like though. He will probably go somewhere like the 6th or 7th round or be a UDFA.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I know. I was making fun of myself.