Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

CEO Mark Murphy remains vigilant, looks to future

Why, a man wanted to know, havent the Green Bay Packers installed railings along the steps in Lambeau Field?

For Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy, who recently faced about 40 people at the Howard-Suamico Optimist Club at Rivers Bend Steak and Seafood restaurant in Howard, the topic was deliverance from the usual diet of questions he has faced through his first 21 months atop the corporation ladder.

It has been a period dominated by high-profile matters the unveiling of the new practice field and the progress of a football team that has won eight of 20 games since Murphy became boss at the end of the Packers 2007-08 season.

Nothing got as much attention, however, as the spectacle of the breakup with Brett Favre.

It was Murphy, not General Manager Ted Thompson, who made the final decision to part ways with Favre 14 months ago. Murphy said that he, Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy agreed to take the high road in their public statements about Favre despite cries of protest from many fans.

It was a situation that was somewhat unprecedented in the NFL, Murphy said. Im proud of the way we handled a difficult situation.

A day after the Packers 30-23 loss to the Favre-led Minnesota Vikings, Murphy told Press-Gazette reporter Tony Walter that the decision on Favre wasnt a decision made for one game.

Murphy has also made significant moves that some team officials say will have a greater impact on the franchise. They include his prominent role in the National Football League labor negotiations, his restructuring of the upper management at team headquarters, and his steering of a master development plan that could expand the financial impact of the Packers in neighborhoods near the stadium.

Former team president Bob Harlan ran the corporation the way he could at the size that it was, said Peter Platten III, vice president of the teams Executive Committee. Now its bigger. We knew this (hiring) decision was critical to the organization, and we had to find someone who could deal with the issues and secure the Packers future.

Murphy has done that, Platten said.

Succeeding Bob Harlan

Murphy, 54, became the Packers 10th chief executive officer in January 2008 after four years as athletic director at Northwestern University. He succeeded Harlan, whose leadership guided the Packers through one of their brightest eras that included a Super Bowl title and the renovation of Lambeau Field.

I just try to be myself, to be open with people, Murphy said. Im not afraid to make the tough decisions when they have to be made.

Another tough decision was the development of the Ray Nitschke practice field at a time of economic stress locally and across the country.

He told us that there is never a bad time to invest in the future, said Jason Wied, the Packers vice president for administration and legal counsel.

Murphy knows he will be judged by many on the teams record but said its too early to draw any conclusions.

Were 2-2 now so its still premature to make final judgments, he said. Weve all seen enough positives.

Murphy, who played eight seasons for the Washington Redskins, talks to Thompson on a daily basis but says it is not his style to micromanage.

It was Murphys experience working for the NFL Players Association from 1985-88 that led Commissioner Roger Goodell to appoint him to the Management Committee Executive Council in July 2008. The eight-man council, which is the bargaining team on a potential collective bargaining agreement, includes Dallas Jerry Jones, Carolinas Jerry Richardson, New Englands Robert Kraft, Pittsburghs Art Rooney and Denvers Pat Bowlen.

Thats a big chip (in the game) for us, Platten said, noting that Goodell mentioned the advantage of having Murphy on the negotiating team before he was even hired. It really increases our presence in the league.

Goodell praised Murphy from his New York office.

Mark has a wealth of experience as a former player and administrator at both the collegiate and NFL level, Goodell told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. His experience with the NFL Players Association, and now as a member of the NFLs management team, is invaluable as we work towards securing another collective bargaining agreement.

Management changes

Murphy waited a few months last year before changing the upper management structure of the franchise. As he did at Northwestern, he created a leadership team of a handful of vice presidents so fewer people reported directly to him.

That team includes Vice President of Football Administration Russ Ball, Vice President of Finance Paul Baniel, Vice President of Organizational and Staff Development Betsy Mitchell, and Wied.

One of Murphys initial goals when he arrived was to stress the importance of marketing. He started the Tundra Tailgate Zone last year, a tent-covered area east of the stadium where fans with or without tickets can gather prior to and during home games.

He also hired marketing veteran Laura Sankey as senior vice president of marketing and sales last fall. But she resigned last week.

Murphy said, It just wasnt the right fit for either of us, and said he probably wouldnt hire her replacement until after the current football season.

Unlike Harlan, Murphy doesnt always answer his own phone.

But Murphy has been visible in the community, making more than 100 speeches to community groups since he joined the Packers and building relationships with area politicians.

The latter is vital as he leads the franchise through the development of a master plan that is aimed at increasing tourist interest in the area. He wont discuss details of the plan but said the vision includes working with the county, city of Green Bay and village of Ashwaubenon to maximize revenue possibilities from U.S. 41 to Ashland Avenue and from Lombardi Avenue south on Oneida Street.

Hes not taking his eye off the current situation, but hes looking down the road, said Larry Weyers, executive chairman of Integrys Energy Group and treasurer of the Packers Executive Committee. When we were interviewing him for the job, a criteria was, Is he going to fit into the community and this organization? Mark has surpassed that.

UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

It was Murphys experience working for the NFL Players Association from 1985-88 that led Commissioner Roger Goodell to appoint him to the Management Committee Executive Council in July 2008.

The eight-man council, which is the bargaining team on a potential collective bargaining agreement, includes Dallas Jerry Jones, Carolinas Jerry Richardson, New Englands Robert Kraft, Pittsburghs Art Rooney and Denvers Pat Bowlen.

I thought Goodell was more or less on Bretts side during it all, but if he appointed Murphy for this post during that whole Brett issue,one might speculate that Goodell liked how Murphy was handling it all

but that is me just SPECULATING
yooperfan
14 years ago
Experience with the players association.
Building a bigger beaurocracy in the front office.
Politicking with the local pols.
Cosmetic improvements.
Improving the economy of Green Bay.
building tourism.

How about building a better football team.

I'm not impressed.
14 years ago
Does every damn thread have to go back to the same thing, yooper? Seriously?

I got to meet Mark Murphy at Fan Fest a little while back, and he really struck me as a quality person. He spent at least a couple of minutes talking to us. You can tell he has his head on straight just from reading this article.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago

Does every damn thread have to go back to the same thing, yooper? Seriously?

I got to meet Mark Murphy at Fan Fest a little while back, and he really struck me as a quality person. He spent at least a couple of minutes talking to us. You can tell he has his head on straight just from reading this article.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Until the Green Bay Packers get turned around again the answer is, yes.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The moment a Packers-related article mentions Brett Favre, I just skip over it. If after two years journalists still can't find another angle for their stories, they should voluntarily resign their positions.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.