Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

MINNEAPOLIS - Last Sunday the Packers got back on track with some explosive gains in their win over the Rams, and they continued that trend on Monday night with three big-yardage scoring plays by young players.

After the Packers fell behind 7-0 on Vikings quarterback Brett Favre's 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Visanthe Shiancoe late in the first quarter, Green Bay's offense responded quickly.

Facing a third-and-5 at the Green Bay 38, quarterback Aaron Rodgers found tight end Jermichael Finley wide open down the right sideline, who made a move to elude safety Tyrell Johnson, and took it all the way for a 62-yard touchdown, the longest touchdown catch by a Packers tight end since Jackie Harris' 66-yarder vs. Denver on Oct. 10, 1993.

"I had a wheel route outside the numbers," Finley said. "(Antoine) Winfield thought that I was going to take it out to a corner route. I kept it high and he crashed down. I broke off the safety and the back-side corner tried to catch me. I pushed off and was able to get into the end zone."

The touchdown catch was part of a big evening for Finley. After showing flashes of his big-play ability at the end of his rookie year last season as well as during the preseason this year, Finley got off to a slow start, catching just five passes for 62 yards in the first three games.

But Finley broke through in a big way on Monday night, finishing with career-highs in receptions (six) and yards (128). In addition to the long touchdown, he also picked up 37 yards on a reception over the middle late in the fourth quarter, giving him the two longest receptions of his career.

The 128 yards were the most by a Green Bay tight end since Harris posted the exact same number of yards on five receptions in the Denver game in 1993, and Finley and Harris are tied for the most yards by a tight end in one game in franchise history since 1966.

After the Vikings took a 14-7 lead in the second quarter on another Favre touchdown pass, Green Bay's went three-and-out on its next possession. But the Packers came up with another big play to even the score, this time from their defense.

Minnesota took over at their own 44 following an 18-yard punt return by Jaymar Johnson. On first down, running back Adrian Peterson was stacked up for a 2-yard loss by defensive end Johnny Jolly and linebacker Brandon Chillar, and linebacker Clay Matthews came in to strip the ball right out of Peterson's hands. He had a clear path to go 42 yards down the right sideline for the touchdown.

"I just made a play on the ball," Matthews said. "Fortunately we had a few guys holding him up and he had that ball loose. I just made a play and ripped it away. I couldn't see myself running to the end zone but it was a big momentum change.

"Hopefully it's just something we can improve, being a ball-hawking defense and getting after it."

Matthews' fumble return for a score was the longest by a Packers rookie in franchise history.

Even though it was the first touchdown of his career for the rookie out of Southern California, Matthews elected not to keep the ball after he scored, instead throwing it deep into the end-zone seats.

"What I didn't know is the fine that will soon come, so don't expect that from me anymore," Matthews said.

The Packers' third and final score of the evening also came by way of the big play from one more young player.

Trailing 30-13 late in the fourth quarter, Rodgers found second-year wide receiver Jordy Nelson on a short pass over the middle, and Nelson took it 33 yards for the score.

The 33-yarder was the longest catch of Nelson's career, eclipsing his 29-yard touchdown pass at Detroit last season in Week 2. Nelson finished the game with three receptions for a career-high 47 yards.

UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
Cool article!

matthews talked about throwing the ball high into the stands - that was funny; I remember I had to watch that twice thinking "they still give fines for that stuff right?!" ... I assume he just threw it because he was so excited
and thats cool; he deserves it. What a Great play.

I never thought I would be saying this so quickly after last year - but I am really starting to like finley. MAn deserves 2 thumbs up for his plays in the MN game.

oh and I wasnt that 'horrifed' by langs blocking either. Seemed to be doing a 'alright' job vs the allen man. Well least for a rookie.
Bet he was glad for the experience even thou he was probably pretty nervous.
millertime
14 years ago
Nice. If we can buy Rodgers some more time, our passing attack will rival any team in the league. I really thought James Jones would step it up this year and prove he could be a true number 2 when Driver retires. So far, he just hasn't gotten the looks because how bad our o-line is.
aa-rod_is_cool
14 years ago
We should be having some big plays from young guys being that we are ( and have been ) the youngest team in the NFL.

Ya an no doubt matthews should be starting over Poppinga.. I mean really, WHAT has Poppinga done this whole year? All Ive seen him do is miss tackles and lose contains on running plays.

An its nice to see jordy nelson doin some work after his bad start of the season with all the dropped passes
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I absolutely love Jermichael Finley as a player. I'm glad that he showed a little knowledge about the game there, as well. Haven't seen that from him too often.

Even though it was the first touchdown of his career for the rookie out of Southern California, Matthews elected not to keep the ball after he scored, instead throwing it deep into the end-zone seats.

"What I didn't know is the fine that will soon come, so don't expect that from me anymore," Matthews said.

C'mon, seriously?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.