porky88
14 years ago
When you're comparing Thompson to Matt Millen like some have, you've been more wrong than right. That has been over the top criticism and that is what makes some roll their eyes. I'm not patting anyone on the back for that.

The criticism of Thompson has been sometimes fair and sometimes unfair. I think criticizing the move to release Michael Wahle and not retain Marco Rivera is wrong. They were the right moves. There really isn't much of a debate about that especially with Rivera.

Where Thompson failed was in replacing them at least right away. To be fair, the interior line is not the weakness of the offensive line any longer.

The tackles are.

The irony to that is Thompson is usually pretty quick to get rid of veterans even if they're still playing good. Wahle, Darren Sharper, and Brett Favre come to mind.

He replaced Favre with Rodgers. Not bad and Sharper with Collins. Again, not bad.

He missed the boat this time though with Chad Clifton and now he may have to turn to Mark Tauscher as well to pretty much save the season. Thompson never found any tackles to replace them with. The only tackle on the roster Thompson has brought in is Breno G. Everyone else is either a true guard or a guard being asked to play tackle.

That is just ridiculous and there isn't anyway to put it.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

and Sharper with Collins. Again, not bad.

He missed the boat this time though with Chad Clifton and now he may have to turn to Mark Tauscher as well to pretty much save the season. Thompson never found any tackles to replace them with. The only tackle on the roster Thompson has brought in is Breno G. Everyone else is either a true guard or a guard being asked to play tackle.

That is just ridiculous and there isn't anyway to put it.

"porky88" wrote:

Agreed with you about the line.

But of all the ironies, Darren Sharper has Hall of Fame numbers. Yes, we know his weaknesses. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about if you were born in 2020 and were a Packers fan and never watched Darren Sharper play and just looked at his stats, you'd think anyone would be a fool to get rid of him.

That's the funny thing about stats.

59 career INTS 1311 career INT return yards 10 TDs from INTs 99 longest

Once led the NFL is INTs. Currently leading NFL in INTs. Twice led the NFL in INT return yardage. Twice led the NFL in INTs returned for TDs. Currently leading the NFL in INTs, INTs returned for TDs, and INT yardage.

Funny, huh?

Oh, and Porky, I generally agree with your criticisms, because they're fair. You give credit where it's due but also criticize when it's necessary.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I think Sharper did the most of his damage while with the Vikings and that needs to be considered as well as his contract demands. Which, don't make much sense. Because the Packers were offering him more money to stay in GB in a paycut than he accepted to go with the Vikings. The departure of Sharper falls equally on Sharper himself as much as our GM.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

The irony to that is Thompson is usually pretty quick to get rid of veterans even if they're still playing good. Wahle, Darren Sharper, and Brett Favre come to mind.

He replaced Favre with Rodgers. Not bad and Sharper with Collins. Again, not bad.

"porky88" wrote:

I'm noticing this more and more, and absolutely no offense meant to you. It's almost like Rodgers playing well has led to the conclusion that Favre was replaced with Rodgers. I almost never hear mention of the entire retired/unretired/retired/unretired/retired again as MM/TT are flying down with the red carpet saga.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
I'm just going to pass over the guy who wants everyone to pat him on the ass for his "correct predictions" - your priorities are embarrassingly out of whack.

As stated before by many: Thompson, barring some total collapse or something nobody here could predict, will not lose his job. He's just done too much good for the team as a whole.

There IS talent on this team - a lot of it. Some of that talent was here before he got here, but much of it is his doing. There are weak spots as well, but until someone shows me a team that has no weak spots, I don't see how that's a strike against Thompson specifically - could be said about any GM of any team.

That talent is not performing at a consistently high level. This doesn't fall on the GM, folks, it falls on coaching.

Now, I'm one who resists knee-jerk "Fire him!" reactions, but if anyone thinks that's due to some man-love for McCarthy, they're wrong. The reason I don't like that whole game is that it almost never works. Yes, the Dolphins turned things around in a season - or did they? They don't look so hot this season. What's more likely is that you waste your talent by changing shit up on them season after season. New schemes, new coaches, then more new schemes and more new coaches. It never ends. THAT is what I recall about the 70s and 80s - trying a new coach/scheme again and again. Gregg, Infante, blah, blah, blah.

IF the Packers could get someone like Cowher in, and then leave him the hell alone and allow him to put a structure and culture in place, I would be all for that. Pittsburgh hasn't just "gotten lucky" with their coaching - that's a part of that team's culture, and that consistency is why they're in the running almost every year. If we're talking about putting something like that in place, that would be good.

But if it's just another cycle of trying something new every time our increasingly whiny and skittish fan base blows a fuse, then no thank you. If I wanted that, I could root for the damn Texans.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
My negative feelings with regard to TT:
1. I didn't like the way he handled Mike Sherman.
2. I think he's a lousy judge of OL talent, or a lousy judge of people who judge OL talent, or both.
3. I'd rather he take a bit more risks in free agency.

But of these only #2 bugs the crap out of me. #1 is ancient history -- everyone screws up in year 1. And #3, I don't think he's done particularly badly over the years with his FA approach (and he'd have done worse if he'd listen to me on non-OL moves).

As for McCarthy. Of the people in Favregate (Favre, Thompson, Murphy, McCarthy, Rodgers), McCarthy to me came out looking the worst. Rodgers came out of it looking like a leader. I understood Thompson and Favre. Murphy, well, frankly, I haven't expected much from him and so haven't been disappointed. But McCarthy and his "train has left station" and his Fleischering...that bugged me.

But I keep wondering what the heck happened to the McCarthy of 2007. Was he a one-hit wonder? In 2007 he wasn't this coach-speak, predictable, can't solve the same problems week after week; in 2007 he brought us the Fab 5 and discovered that Ryan Grant could be a running back and had the elephant formation and....where the heck did that Mike McCarthy go?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
14 years ago

As for McCarthy. Of the people in Favregate (Favre, Thompson, Murphy, McCarthy, Rodgers), McCarthy to me came out looking the worst. Rodgers came out of it looking like a leader. I understood Thompson and Favre. Murphy, well, frankly, I haven't expected much from him and so haven't been disappointed. But McCarthy and his "train has left station" and his Fleischering...that bugged me.

But I keep wondering what the heck happened to the McCarthy of 2007. Was he a one-hit wonder? In 2007 he wasn't this coach-speak, predictable, can't solve the same problems week after week; in 2007 he brought us the Fab 5 and discovered that Ryan Grant could be a running back and had the elephant formation and....where the heck did that Mike McCarthy go?

"Wade" wrote:

Yeah, I didn't like that either (Favregate). I do think Rodgers came out of it looking good. I got a lot of respect for Rodgers for that.

The '07 Mike McCarthy died. We have a retarded doppleganger pretending to be Mike McCarthy right now.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
porky88
14 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I'm noticing this more and more, and absolutely no offense meant to you. It's almost like Rodgers playing well has led to the conclusion that Favre was replaced with Rodgers. I almost never hear mention of the entire retired/unretired/retired/unretired/retired again as Mike McCarthy/Ted Thompson are flying down with the red carpet saga.

"porky88" wrote:

Yeah I hear what your saying. In the end though it's all about perception and the perception is Rodgers replaced Favre. Nobody will care about the stuff in the middle even though, like you pointed out, there is more too it.
dhazer
14 years ago
will you guys stop bashing Ted Thompson your not leaving me any ammo, get on your own damn train :P

oops to late it already left the station πŸ˜›
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be πŸ™‚ (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
David - I actually think Ted Thompson is average. I don't hate him. I think we're a 9-7 team, which is better than 17 other teams.

The criticism I have is does he have what it takes to make us a perennial Playoff team? That's the thing that gives us the best chance at winning a SB - being a perennial Playoff team.

Not with this OL. We'll go one and out every year.

I used to criticize Sherman, but now looking back, at least he gave us an OL and didn't get Favre killed. Rodgers is getting killed back there. 20 sacks in 4 games, I'm seriously concerned for him.

Sherman didn't give us a D though. So it was like the Lynn Dickey years all over again - score lots of points and pray it's more than they'll score.

So, with TT, it's a different Achilles' Heel.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? πŸ₯Ί I think that means you missed more than half of them 😒
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead πŸ€ͺ
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Β© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comβ„’. All Rights Reserved.