Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:29:06 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 67

From Bob McGinn:

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers played four football seasons with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

His coach, Mike McCarthy, didn't know about that. His offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin, didn't know about that. Almost nobody knows about that.

But it's true, and now the story will be told.

It should answer some of the doubts regarding Rodgers' durability, at least the part about his toughness. And it will shed additional light on his absolute refusal, from an early age, to take no for an answer when it comes to his ultimate success on a football field.

If true, and I can't imagine it not being so with someone like McGinn writing this up, that's pretty damn impressive.

Hard to knock a guy who does that.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Sponsor
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:38:18 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

I'm new to JS Insider, but... I'm gonna guess McGinn is going to reveal more about this later.
Offline TengoJuego  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:10:43 AM(UTC)
TengoJuego

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2010

United States

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 1

He played with us with that injury? Damn...thats scary.
Offline RaiderPride  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:13:55 AM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 103
Applause Received: 192

There is a great deal of amazing info on Chico that will come out in the press.

Did you know he was originally left handed?

He was left handed from birth. He wrote left handed, threw left, and was all round left handed.

Then one Saturday morning in Chico, California, when he was ten years old, he had his left hand completely cut off by a neighbors lawn mower while jacking around with buddy.

He was too scared to tell his parents, so he sewed his left hand back on himself, and never told a single person. This is why he throws right handed now.

He has always been a gamer.

You will see.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:39:22 AM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
He played with us with that injury? Damn...thats scary.

Um I thought Bob was referring to Rodger's earlier days, probably when he was in highschool.

If he did have a torn ACL for four years (including during any of his first three with the Packers) and McCarthy didn't know, someone should be fired from the Packers' medical staff. (you know, medical staff should have detected it and told McCarthy...)
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:46:06 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,896
Applause Received: 1,407

I watched a program on the NFL channel last night. They had a player who part of a year with a torn ACL. 4 years would make him #1 tough guy.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline dhazer  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:45:07 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 195

Gimmie a break. The players go thru major physicals before the draft so the teams would know about his acl. More bs trying to make Rodgers look good. Oh ya Raider did you hear how when Rodgers was in college he was in a plane and got bored so he jumped out and crushed both his legs but he didnt tell anyone about it and he just walked away lol. Cmon folks time to be real about some of this stuff.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Bigbyfan  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:11:57 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

Gimmie a break. The players go thru major physicals before the draft so the teams would know about his acl. More bs trying to make Rodgers look good. Oh ya Raider did you hear how when Rodgers was in college he was in a plane and got bored so he jumped out and crushed both his legs but he didnt tell anyone about it and he just walked away lol. Cmon folks time to be real about some of this stuff.

Ummm,RP was being just a little bit sarcastic..... just a little
blank
Offline dhazer  
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:15:33 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 195

Bigby when i said get real i was referring to Mike McCarthy not knowing about torn acl and if it happened when he was in high school it would have been made public. i was having fun with Raider :p
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:18:24 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 172
Applause Received: 374

There is a great deal of amazing info on Chico that will come out in the press.

Did you know he was originally left handed?

He was left handed from birth. He wrote left handed, threw left, and was all round left handed.

Then one Saturday morning in Chico, California, when he was ten years old, he had his left hand completely cut off by a neighbors lawn mower while jacking around with buddy.

He was too scared to tell his parents, so he sewed his left hand back on himself, and never told a single person. This is why he throws right handed now.

He has always been a gamer.

You will see.

R.P.

I also heard that story RP.
But it was a little different. He was originally left handed, but when he got his left hand cut off, he sewed it back on backwards. Thus, when he threw the football, it had the spin of a guy throwing it right handed. He thought "What the heck......if the ball is gonna spin that way anyway, i might as well throw it right handed." Thus he switched to right handed throwing.
That also is why when he first came here, he held the ball so high by his helmet when he dropped back to pass. He had to check to make sure his left hand was spun around to hold the ball correctly.
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigbyfan  
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:35:36 PM(UTC)
Bigbyfan

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 71

Bigby when i said get real i was referring to Mike McCarthy not knowing about torn acl and if it happened when he was in high school it would have been made public. i was having fun with Raider :p

Then forget what I said, forgive me. I am just upset that the Predator aka Atari Bigby is not playing tonight
blank
Offline bigfog  
#12 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:18:23 PM(UTC)
bigfog

Cripes? Does he eat glass in his spare time too?

How can you have a torn ACL for 4 years? That doesn't seem possible. Wouldn't it heal on its own?

Color me confused.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Online mi_keys  
#13 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:26:02 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 345

Cripes? Does he eat glass in his spare time too?

How can you have a torn ACL for 4 years? That doesn't seem possible. Wouldn't it heal on its own?

Color me confused.

Maybe it didn't heal over that period because of continuously playing on it? I don't know, that's pretty intense.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline CDNRodgersfan  
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:33:39 PM(UTC)
CDNRodgersfan

Applause Received: 1

I'm far from a doctor but from the Merriman thing I remember them saying that's the biggest problem from ACL to MCL. The MCL will heal itself but the ACL will never heal without surgery. Not to be a pessamist but some of these stories get a bit exagerated as I believe he may of had a tear or something. I just don't believe a guy could do anything with a completely torn ACL. Look how far Merriman lasted, although if this was high scholl I'd beleive it cause I remember at 18 there were no injuries that could hold you down except maybe a bad bout of craps. LOL
Offline schroeder84  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2008 8:27:16 AM(UTC)
schroeder84

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 8

I'm far from a doctor but from the Merriman thing I remember them saying that's the biggest problem from ACL to MCL. The MCL will heal itself but the ACL will never heal without surgery. Not to be a pessamist but some of these stories get a bit exagerated as I believe he may of had a tear or something. I just don't believe a guy could do anything with a completely torn ACL. Look how far Merriman lasted, although if this was high scholl I'd beleive it cause I remember at 18 there were no injuries that could hold you down except maybe a bad bout of craps. LOL

I have a completely torn ACL and a completely torn MCL. Usually, MCLs do repair themselves (except for mine, due to location of tear). ACLs, if fully torn, generally do not repair themselves. It doesn't hurt at all for the most part - the biggest problem is instability and future arthritis caused by rubbing from the instablity. Proper physio and leg strengthening can help protect from that. I am up for surgery to staple/screw down the MCL and replace the ACL. It's the MCL I miss most.

I have a crazy friend who plays hockey and fastball on bad knees - 1 completely torn ACL and the other ACL partially torn. She wears a big brace on the one and a smaller brace on the other and does just fine. She will get her knee fixed when she is no longer able to play (she has said that for the last 10 years, and is still playing high level at age 43).

It's entirely possible to play for years on a damaged or completely torn ACL. It can affect performance, but it doesn't necessarily make somebody really tough for dealing with pain.