Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Are third-string QBs going extinct? 

Being a backup QB can be frustrating at times, but the job pays well and has many built-in benefits, writes Matt Mosley.

By Matt Mosley

One of the best ways to drive up your price as a backup quarterback in the NFL is to make sure you never take the field. I mean, if Matt Schaub can just keep this up, he'll be remembered as the man Michael Vick prevented from leading the Falcons to the Super Bowl.

Never before has so much money gone to men whom teams are praying they won't have to use.

Even though the league has gone to great lengths to protect quarterbacks, teams still pay a premium for reliable backups. Guys such as free agent Anthony Wright celebrated Jeff Garcia's success in Philadelphia because it makes their inactivity more marketable than ever.

Wright, 31, was in Denver on Wednesday interviewing to be Jay Cutler's backup, but by the time he arrived home Thursday, the Broncos had won a dubious bidding war for the services of former Redskins first-round pick Patrick Ramsey, who commanded $1.5 million in guaranteed money.

Wright, who spent last season backing up Carson Palmer in Cincinnati, has noticed a disturbing trend in the clipboard community: the disappearance of the third-string quarterback.

"If you have a pocket quarterback, there's not as much reason to carry three," he said. "It's the guys who run around all the time who get hurt."

Teams such as the Super Bowl champion Colts have eliminated the third wheel, in part, because coaches would rather obsess about deploying a fourth tight end or an eighth defensive back.

I counted at least 10 teams that began last season with only two quarterbacks on their 53-man rosters, and six of those teams made the playoffs. Because of the copycat nature of this league, don't be shocked if more of your favorite third-stringers go missing. It's easier -- and less expensive -- to simply keep a young quarterback on the practice squad. But it does eliminate one of the greatest gigs in all of sports.

A third-string quarterback for the Cowboys once told me he played golf three times a week. And that was during the season. Most career backups don't completely embrace their status until they wake up one day and realize they have functioning knees and pension plans. Backups are usually among the most popular players on the team because they represent change and a false hope for tomorrow.

Wright said the best backups are the ones who have a clear understanding of their roles.

"First, you have to provide assistance to the starter during the game," he said. "And second, you have to be mentally disciplined enough to prepare like you're going to start every week. When I hear some guys say they weren't ready, it just kills me."

Does the name Billy Joe Hobert ring a bell?

Wright, an undrafted player out of South Carolina, said Ravens coach Brian Billick told him he was the club's best quarterback heading into the 2003 season, but that Kyle Boller (first round) and Chris Redman (third round) would be first- and second-string.

"He told me I probably wasn't going to get a fair chance," Wright said. "And I wasn't happy about it."

Wright ended up replacing an injured Boller and led the Ravens to a 5-2 record over the final seven games. Last year, he had a great relationship with Palmer, who often asked for his input during games.

It's not easy to be friends with a man who covets your job, and that's why some teams try to pair young quarterbacks with veterans. Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo worshipped Vinny Testaverde when the two were together in 2004, and Bill Parcells gave his former Jets quarterback a lot of credit for Romo's development.

On the other hand, Romo and Drew Bledsoe never connected, making the veteran's demotion last season even more awkward. To keep their edge, backup quarterbacks often compete in other sports during the offseason. Romo used to spend part of his offseason playing basketball and flag football.

"I had to either play basketball or rush home and play a video game," Wright said. "Or I might really come hard in seven-on-seven drills. You have to find a way to keep the edge."

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
Yeah, grab Jeff Garcia. I would definitely do that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
RainX
14 years ago
Suprised, but not overly shocked they cut Brohm. You'd like to have thought he would have shown more improvement by now.

Looking at the QBs who are floating out there on waivers right now, there is probably a decent chance Brohm will end up back on the practice squad if the Packers want him back. A year off the active roster and on the practice squad probably won't hurt him considering he would probably have been inactive most game days anyways.
blank
porky88
14 years ago
If Flynn plays for a long period of time, Green Bay will not do anything at all. Maybe four wins over 16 game season.

So two quarterbacks vs. three is really meaningless unless one of those three is a veteran talent and the third is a developmental player.
gakko
14 years ago
Garcia just thinks he's god because he married this girl that never would have married him if he wasn't an NFL QB. hahaha
blank
14 years ago
1) There is no need for the 3rd QB if he is on the practice squad.

2) Others are out there available if you are worried about another team signing him. Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington, Andrew Walter, etc.

3) If there is too much response he can be withdrawn from waivers.

4) Practice Squad is a lot cheaper than 2nd round contract money.
blank
packersfan99
14 years ago
Yes Maybe Brohm goes to the practice squad, i don't think any other team claim him from the waivers, so there is a pretty good chance that him come back to the team

I don't like Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington, Andrew Walter, i was betting on Colt Brennan but he is on IR now
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
If the rumor is true...

Garcia is going to look good in a Packer uniform.

He can move a football team.

Everyone always says Garcia is this, that and the other thing...usually not very nice things, btw--- right up until he starts playing in an emergency situation--Then the critics usually say, "oops".

The big question isn't what we do here, it is what other teams do.

My bet is that we are gambling that no one signs Garcia until opening day, and that we will do so then.

His price will be cheap, and his guarantee will be null. (Vested vet stuff)

This is all based on a rumor, (Not the part about when he might get signed by us--that's a different rumor--PFT stuff) but the source is batting .500 so far, and that was a pretty good "hit" on the Brohm getting cut thing....I'm just sayin'...
Kingdom22
14 years ago
Well let's just sign Jeff Garcia and we are good. That means Ted would really really want to win. We need a Vet QB on that chart guys. Who better than a proven backup QB that has come in and done a great job when called upon.
blank
porky88
14 years ago
Garcia strikes me as a guy who doesn't know his role. I'm not sure he would be content with backing up Rodgers. I much rather have A.J. Feeley who knows his role although it seems like he may sign with New England soon if he hasn't already.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (8h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (23h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (23h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.