wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Aaron did exactly what hes supposed to do, defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. That was our safety. On those type of vertical routes, what Aaron has to do is take away any underneath or inside throw. Aaron got a plus on that play because he did exactly what he was supposed to do.

"pack93z" wrote:

Thats not to say teams wont go after Kampman when hes in coverage. During a blitz/red zone period in Fridays practice, Kampman dropped to cover receiver Jordy Nelson in the flat. Kampman stayed with him until Nelson turned his route up the field. Playing zone, Kampman let Nelson go, but no one picked him up and he had an easy touchdown catch from Rodgers.

Greene doesnt, as long as Kampman or any other outside linebacker gets the proper help.

This is why I have never been completely sold on the Zone Defense. I know some teams do an excellent job with it. Many do not.
Just like a lot of teams ran the old Power Sweep but only GB excelled with it.

With that said, AADP is right. There will not be that many times a game when Kampy is dropping back into coverage. 1st, 2nd downs many times are running plays. If a team does pass, they will most likely only have 2 WRs and there is no reason for GB not to have adequate defenders to cover them.
If it is 3rd and long he will more than likely put a hand down on the LOS and rush the QB.
UserPostedImage
musccy
14 years ago
I'm with AADP and WPR on this...I just feel like this is an easy exploitation for opposing teams. Someone questioned how well he could even cover a scat back, and I agree...they don't need to show 3 wr sets and the pack could still be caught in a vulnearble coverage situation.

I like kampy, appreciate his work ethic, etc....I'm just not sold yet that it was wise to move him off the line.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I'm with AADP and WPR on this...I just feel like this is an easy exploitation for opposing teams. Someone questioned how well he could even cover a scat back, and I agree...they don't need to show 3 wr sets and the pack could still be caught in a vulnearble coverage situation.

I like kampy, appreciate his work ethic, etc....I'm just not sold yet that it was wise to move him off the line.

"musccy" wrote:

I disagree. Like I said in my last post, him being able to cover a bit deeper than a shallow zone is great. If he can combine that with a little speed, that's even better.

In the end, though, a 3-4 OLB is more of a glorified DE than anything else. He's not going to be a Brandon Chillar, but really, how many LBs overall can you name me who can run stride for stride with a receiver. Or even a scat back.

He doesn't need to have the athletics and skill sets of a Chillar. The reigning defensive MVP doesn't either. Ware, Suggs, Harrison, Taylor and Porter can defend against a slant and rush the QB, but they aren't asked to go man coverage on anyone or drop into a deep zone. Just look at that SB int. return. Harrison drops back no more than 4 yards and gets into the passing lane of the crossing slants. Great play for a 3-4 OLB.

Apart from that, we should have a player on the other side with a more complete skill set. Not the pure rushing, but a more adapt cover guy. Should see some of that in who ever starts. Matthews or Thompson.
dfosterf
14 years ago
I bet we get our asses smoked in zone coverage.

Hope not, but the bet stands.

Not being negative, either. I have no evidence that our personnel are capable of doing so, and when I start looking for some "hints" from past play...I get more nervous, not less. Not even talking about pass pressure, either. I think we will (finally) have that and still get smoked.

In a seemingly unrelated reflection, the fact that we were penalized more yards than any other team keeps popping into my thoughts on this matter.

No. I am not talking about who specifically got penalized. I'm reflecting on football smarts, or maybe just plain old generic smarts.

...And all those blitzes where we got our asses handed to us. We had to abandon that little plan, as I recall.

As stated, I will be pleased to be wrong about this.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

I disagree. Like I said in my last post, him being able to cover a bit deeper than a shallow zone is great.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Technically, Kampman was still abiding by zone coverage against Jennings. His assignment was to eliminate the underneath stuff, which he did. The only problem is that Atari Bigby had a blown assignment. Bigby should have been the one running with Greg step-by-step.

I'm not so much worried about Kampman being mismatched against slot WRs. We're all forgetting a reason that Mike McCarthy has cited many times for Kampman's switch to OLB: to make him a better pass-rusher on first and second downs. I fully expect Dom to use a lot of sub packages on 3rd down; we've switched base defences - and while that entails different looks, teams will still have to play nickel and dime packages. Kampman, for all that he is doing now with regards to coverage and dropping back is still the best pass rusher on this team, period.

Don't think that Dom Capers is not well aware of that fact.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Not being negative, either. I have no evidence that our personnel are capable of doing so, and when I start looking for some "hints" from past play...I get more nervous, not less. Not even talking about pass pressure, either. I think we will (finally) have that and still get smoked.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Based on what I'd read on the Blitzburg 3-4 style Defence, the outside corner(s) were in man most of the time. Al quite obviously does not play nickel CB; and if anyone sees tape of the Steelers last year than they will realize that the outside CBs were often matched up man-to-man.

If the above holds true, then we should be fine. I still maintain that asking Al to play too much zone is being ignorant of Al's track record.

Otherwise, I think we should be fine with zone coverage. The biggest key in zone coverage is having athletic DBs - which we have. Williams, Bush, and Blackmon are all very athletic - and I think they can come to learn to play zone much better than years past as a result of better instruction and guidance.

As for the penalties... I'm hearing ya loud and clear df.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Based on what I'd read on the Blitzburg 3-4 style Defence, the outside corner(s) were in man most of the time. Al quite obviously does not play nickel CB; and if anyone sees tape of the Steelers last year than they will realize that the outside CBs were often matched up man-to-man.

If the above holds true, then we should be fine. I still maintain that asking Al to play too much zone is being ignorant of Al's track record.

Otherwise, I think we should be fine with zone coverage. The biggest key in zone coverage is having athletic DBs - which we have. Williams, Bush, and Blackmon are all very athletic - and I think they can come to learn to play zone much better than years past as a result of better instruction and guidance.

As for the penalties... I'm hearing ya loud and clear df.

"dfosterf" wrote:

For what I have read in camp and studying Caper D's, most of the time the corner are in man, I agree. The outside corners that is.. but there is one significant difference from the man and man press that we have been playing the last couple of years.

In the press, Al could neutralize some of the initial release and speed of the receiver and "cover up" some of his lost quickness. My biggest fear for Al more so than others on the team is the without the press, receivers will be able to beat Al in the first 10 yards and he will be out of position often this season.. which means one of two things.. he will be toasted often or that a safety will have to commit to helping on that side and creating even more of a center gap in coverage.

Reading some of the camp blogs the offense is finding success with the TE over the mid range middle and attacking the outer edges of the field.. with reports of Bigby being slow in coverage to start camp, there are some concerns to be had.

But those holes in coverage can be quickly remedied by pressure.. which is primarily why we went to the 3-4.. so that pressure better get home or we might see some coverage issues.

Back to topic of sorts, the good news is Kampman is getting his hips around and being able to trail a receiver, is that the match up we want, nope, but a good OC will find ways to isolate Kampman, Thompson and Matthews in coverage.. these types of reports help cool the fears of Kamoman getting beat in the short flare type routes or drags...

The good news in the division, neither the Bears or especially the Vikings are known to have strong OC's... lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
It's so nice to have AADP back in the fold, though he still hasn't contributed his member interview.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Well, I hereby promise to publicly eat crow if I'm proven wrong, but I'm sticking to my gut feeling that Kampy will make the adjustments and excel in his new role - I feel this for no other reason than his work ethic is unimpeachable. However, as AADP points out, I also feel pretty strongly that Capers isn't going to put packages out on the field for which he doesn't think the personnel are sufficient. He's just not. He'll line them up in the best position to succeed - that's his track record.

Put more simply: Neither Kampy or Capers has made a habit out of failure, so I'm not seeing how it'll happen this time. Could it? Sure. But I don't think it will.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I disagree. Like I said in my last post, him being able to cover a bit deeper than a shallow zone is great.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Technically, Kampman was still abiding by zone coverage against Jennings. His assignment was to eliminate the underneath stuff, which he did. The only problem is that Atari Bigby had a blown assignment. Bigby should have been the one running with Greg step-by-step.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Bigby isn't able to do that. He's nearly a LB playing SS.

Anyway, let's put it like this then. It's nice that he can stretch his zone far enough to keep the underneath stuff away. Even slightly deeper than expected.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (18h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (21h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.