Trippster
14 years ago
I believe he did that once, vs. the Vikings, knowing that Crosby can easily hit the 45-50 yarder.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
DGB454
14 years ago
Why does it feel like the Bears always beat the Packers by reading all these posts?

I don't think I have alzheimers... didn't we did stomp the Bears last season 1 game and started out doing it again in the second game ? If I remember right it was the defense that fell off and allowed them to finally get back into the game. It was only the 07 season where they beat us both games. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Frankly I have no worries. I believe we will either win both games against them or split the season.
warhawk
14 years ago

Please, someone for the love of god, explain a few things to me.

What instances are you referring to when saying that the packers are too conservative. Were we not one of the top passing teams?

Do you want trick plays? They are gadgets of the overmatched, of which we certianly are not.

I for one, would be happy with an exact repeat of our offense from last year. QB with 4k yards and 3-1 td/int ratio and a halfback that gained over 12oo yards. Conservativeness does not get you those stats.
As far as McCarthy not taking the bears seriously, what is the record of the last say 12 games between us? Didn't we split last year? Two years ago when Favre cried after the game?

Lovie announced his job was to beat the Packers. that is because realistically, that was all he could do to set goals. Our goals are to win the division, confrerence, and Superbowl. I could give a rats ass where our wins come each year as long as our goals are achieved.

"Trippster" wrote:

There are a couple of cases that have been brought up here and I have defended McCarthy's logic.

One was in the Vikes game when Rodgers made a clutch throw and got the ball in range and McCarthy ran it twice and then a quick slant to Driver that resulted in 4th down and a long FG try.

I understood it because the O line was very porous that day and Rodgers was getting hit a bunch and especially from the blind side with Clifton getting manhandled by Allen. The last thing we needed there was a sack or a fumble or INT. If you remember the Houston game after the pitiful holding call Mac DID call a pass and an interior DL broke free off the snap and sacked Rodgers taking us out of FG range.

THe other time people grumbled was in the Bears game when we got it to the 30 and Mike McCarthy called three run plays. I understood this as well. We essentially had the game ultimately settling for a FG try with the ball on the 20. You don't jeapordize a win at hand by throwing the ball around on a cold and windy day on a short field. The odds were heavily in our favor at that point and Mac went with the odds.

You have to look at the situation and how the game is being played out. I think Mike McCarthy would have been more aggressive in that Vikes game had it played out like the first time when our Oline gave up zero sacks and protected Rodgers very well. That's not how the second game went.

People would have called for MM's head had he called a pass and Rodgers gets hit and loses a fumble there and a chance to win the game or gets sacked and taken out of FG range all together.

Nobody would have said a thing if Crosby hits the FG's.

I wouldn't doubt to see McCarthy more aggressive this year. He's got Rodgers with more experience and knows what he can do and in the back of his mind he put it on Crosby before and he left him out to dry.
"The train is leaving the station."
Blank402
14 years ago
I hate when people criticize McCarthy for a "lack of creativity" just beacuse he doesn't run trick plays or something. His offensive play book has been said by many to be the thickest in the league. He has a very varied offense that can give the defense many different looks.

The conservative argument does have ground, but it's often overblown. He did get "conservative" at the end of the Vikings and Bears games last year, but considering both those kicks were well within Crosby's range, I don't really blame him. And really, his problem in those situations was putting too much faith in his running game to move the chains.
blank
shield4life
14 years ago
I just hate it overall when it's 3rd-1, 3rd-2 and 4th-1 and we got to go to the air instead of running it.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
14 years ago

Please, someone for the love of god, explain a few things to me.

What instances are you referring to when saying that the packers are too conservative. Were we not one of the top passing teams?

"Trippster" wrote:

I can almost assure you that 95% of the reason people call his play calling conservative is because of the instances last year at the end of the first half where he decided to kick a field goal instead of taking a shot at the endzone first. And Crosby seemed to miss every one of those attempts. After that, people were just looking for calls that could be viewed as conservative, and stockpiling them in their memory.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

A couple of quick thoughts...

1) As hard as it seems to be to conceive the notion.. I don't think the Bears are the primary rival anymore for the Packers.. I think the purple to the west has held that position for the better part of a decade or longer.

2) Yes there has been a couple of lopsided wins by them against us, but I think it has more to do with the players on the field in those games than the coaching.. plain and simple... their players were jacked up to play us.. much more so than ours... in most of those blowouts.. we have gotten beat at the LOS.. handily... part of that may be coaching.. but most of it is pure desire or lack of it by us...

3) If we play "flat" at all this year.. meaning we come into a game without the attitude to kick the opponents ass.. I will be extremely disappointed in the new hires on the defensive side of the ball.. if nothing else that unit should be the emotional fireplug of this team..

Basically.. there were games last year and towards the end of 07' where we where a team just going through the motions.. That is what I am sick of.. that and the piss poor excuses in the pressers.. Pad level shouldn't be an issue after a couple of years..

"pack93z" wrote:

Growing up on the wisconsin/illinois border with cousins etc all being bears fans... you can really feel the rivaly in the fans with its a bears/pack game. Sure when farve (notice I said when) joins the vikes - that should heat things up a bit with the viks.

I think the bears vs pack will always hold a sweet spot amoung annoucers
Cheesey
14 years ago
I think a few trick plays thrown in might just open things up a bit. If the other team KNOWS you have nothing up your sleeve but your arm, they can stop you almost every time.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

I think a few trick plays thrown in might just open things up a bit. If the other team KNOWS you have nothing up your sleeve but your arm, they can stop you almost every time.

"Cheesey" wrote:

McCarthy is a great coach up until the final five minutes (give or take) of the game. Then he'll often do some things that seem uncharacteristic like playing it safe. He did this against Carolina and Chicago this year. Those are things he doesn't do at all until the game is on the line.

Even with Brett Favre he made some stupid calls. Such as a slant route when you have one yard to go to score a touchdown. Play ended with a pick and the Packers loss that game.

As far as getting outcoached by Lovie Smith. Certainly not a terrible thing. Worse things could happen. Lovie Smith is a great coach. Clearly, he's the best in the division in my opinion. GB blew them out at Lambeau and outplayed them in Chicago so it's not as if McCarthy was terrible against them like he has been in the past.

Hopefully that continues. I think he knows about the struggles against the Bears. The team knows too.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.