RaiderPride
14 years ago
Just think for a moment.

Think for a moment about what it means to say "I was a member of the Green Bay Packers."

Think for a moment about how it would be to go through life, meet people, and when they asked you what you did in your life.... You could say..... "I was a member of the Green Bay Packers."

Even if it was for "One Fricken Year On The Practice Squad." that was a hell of an accomplishment, and set you aside from most people in a unique and different way.

What does it mean to be able to say that?

Well it means you were astronomically greater than any person you played high school football with in the "WHOLE DAMN STATE," A great accomplishment.

To play for the Packers... It also means that your talent was astronomically above, the players that were astronomically above every player in their state that played on your NCAA TEAM.

It means that you were astronomically above all of the players who you played against in every Non Conference game you played in, and astronomically above every player they ever played with and against in their high school and conference.

Now... You are drafted. You are actually signed. The brilliant minds, the best in the world of football say... "Yep Let's sign this kid." He has talent. He is astronomically above an astronomical number of people who ever played the game.

Now.. You sit on the sidelines... But suck up the game. You do not get the opportunity to get snaps... But you work hard in practice. You continue to grow, get better... learn... learn from mistakes, learn from coaches. You are one of the few who made it through the hell hole gauntlet to get to this point.

The coaches then see your talent and potential in practice... even though you have never proved yourself in the real deal... On the NFL Field Of Play.

You have done everything you can to work your way up to number two on the roster... You are now.... astronomically above every third and fourth stringer in the NFL.

Then... All of a sudden. The player above you retires.

YOU are now given the opportunity to prove what you have known, and to show why you were astronomically better than the best of the rest.

THEN AFTER A GREAT YEAR AS A STARTER... A Few Fricking Jack Asses on a Football Forum start saying things like.....

"YOU SUCK... YOU ARE A CALI PUNK.... YOU WERE HANDED THE JOB, AND NEVER EARNED IT. ALL YOU DID WAS HOLD A FRICKING CLIP BOARD FOR THREE YEARS.

Someone please explain humanity to me... I seem to be losing my grip on what is right, what is wrong, and why people are the way they are?

What makes people so bitter, that they can look at a special person who has worked hard, and then throw that person out of the car of life. at 70 miles per hour, on the busiest freeway in the state?

Shaking my head.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
I like how u set that one up... good point +1
blank
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
This post has that story behind it that is life. I don't see this as a set up. Let's all sit back and think about how petty some of the stuff we care about really is. All I can say thank you for this post. It has so much to do with what I was thinking at this very moment at night.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Cheesey
14 years ago
I don't understand it either RP.
I mean, what crime did the kid commit to get treated so lousy by some of the so called "fans?" Because he EARNED a chance to show what he can do? I mean, didn't a certain second stringer also get that chance when Don Majkowski got hurt? I bet the same people that are pissing and moaning did so when this "unknown" stepped in to take over.
Plus, those of us that remember the 1970's and 80's remember Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, John Hadl, David Whitehurst and so on. The ONLY guy that was decent was Lynn Dickey. Aaron Rodgers did better last year then ANY of our QB's during that time. But people throw him under the bus simply because he replaced someone else.
I've seen it before.......like when Ray Nitschke was on his way out. The guy that replaced him was treated like crap. Not at all fair.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
First good post RP... I don't think the kid was handed the job. He worked his tail off behind the scenes to earn a shot at lining up the starter.

Anyone doubting that.. queue up some footage of Rodgers against the Pats a couple of years ago to last season.. doesn't even look like the same player... it clearly shows the progression and the amount of work the kid put in.

Right to plan.

And now to make this clear.. since I can honestly say I have threw that label on him in another thread.. so I will address it.

YOU ARE A CALI PUNK....

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I am sorry, but in the interview in question, if you were to ask me my impressions.. a week later I stand by my words.. in that interview, which is out of character with others he has done, he comes off and as arrogant jackass... I am forming my own opinion upon his words. As the leader of my team, I expect more from the lead QB; I think it only fair to speak my opinion upon it.

You can call it a "shtick" or whatever you want.. to me it matters not. As a leader of a publicly owned franchise, avoid such interviews in the future.

I don't know Rodgers as a person and in most other cases he has handled himself with class. So broadly I don't believe him to be reflective of these two interviews.. but just the same, I wish him not to sound like a jagoff with a star on the side of his helmet either.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

I don't understand it either RP.
I mean, what crime did the kid commit to get treated so lousy by some of the so called "fans?" Because he EARNED a chance to show what he can do? I mean, didn't a certain second stringer also get that chance when Don Majkowski got hurt? I bet the same people that are pissing and moaning did so when this "unknown" stepped in to take over.
Plus, those of us that remember the 1970's and 80's remember Scott Hunter, Jerry Tagge, John Hadl, David Whitehurst and so on. The ONLY guy that was decent was Lynn Dickey. Aaron Rodgers did better last year then ANY of our QB's during that time. But people throw him under the bus simply because he replaced someone else.
I've seen it before.......like when Ray Nitschke was on his way out. The guy that replaced him was treated like crap. Not at all fair.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I'll go you one better, Cheese. Comparatively speaking, did that QB that took over for Majkowski "earn" his job more than Rodgers?

I think a fair-minded person would have to say no.

Good post.

+1
Trippster
14 years ago
First let me say this, Aaron Rodgers was not the best in the state when he went to college. Hell, he didn't even get a scholarship to a DIV I school. He rose as he matured through college.

I am not dissing him by any means. He FAR SURPASSED any expectations I had for him.

People rate professional against other professionals, not all the wannabe's. Anyone and I mean ANYONE that has made it to the professional ranks in ANY sport is FAR superior to 99% of the rest of the athletes that play their sport. However, If you are the least football player in the NFL, you stink in comparison to other NFL players. That is what people refer to when they speak of stinking. Even then, Rodgers belongs nowhere near that catagory.

Now, if you are playing football with your other 50 yr old buddies and they all are eons better than you....then you do stink!

<<<dismounting soapbox>>>>>>
"Let Your Light Shine!"