Rockmolder
14 years ago
Up Close: Barbre's Offseason Workout 

By Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 05/08/2009

It hasn't undergone a major sea change, but the Green Bay Packers' offseason program is a little different this year under new strength and conditioning coordinator Dave Redding.

One of the biggest things the players have noticed is the constant movement and constant action as they go through their workouts. They may be in the weight room for only an hour or so, but the activity in that hour is practically non-stop.

To provide a close-up look, Packers.com followed third-year offensive lineman Allen Barbre, known as one of the team's "workout warriors", through a morning workout recently in the team facility at Lambeau Field. With edited video as an accompaniment, here's a diary of Barbre's workout that day:

I'm loving this new work-out regime already. We've talked about it before, but you really see how he's pushing these guys to their max. Ofcourse, they shouldn't overdo it. Everything you do in TC makes an impact on your body. Something you don't want to do to much off, but with the undisciplined play last year and the overall horrible performance of our O-line, I think they can use some of this.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Reducing the actual workouts to an hour or so day is an AWESOME development. Working out two or three hours a day does virtually nothing for improving overall fitness and contributes to an increase in injuries.

I think one of the problems our team had last year is they were simply overtraining.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
YES YES YES...

I felt stupid whenever I wanted to bring it up last season, but it seemed odd how many got injured across the board and how those who weren't injured looked to be playing hurt.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
djcubez
14 years ago
It's funny to see Rodgers cheer everyone on in the video.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Reducing the actual workouts to an hour or so day is an AWESOME development. Working out two or three hours a day does virtually nothing for improving overall fitness and contributes to an increase in injuries.

I think one of the problems our team had last year is they were simply overtraining.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I agree, as long as you don't want to do too much in that one hour. I mean, you're pushing these 300 pound guys to their limit in the weigth room and I asume they'll have to hit the field for some other drills after that.

Not saying that I'm not liking it, I love what they're doing, maybe this'll leave for time for beating the basics into their head again.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
by keeping them moving constantly, it's quite possible to get the same amount of work in that you would in two or three hours of more casual lifting. I only have an hour a day to work out. I get in 30 minutes of cardio, and lift for the last 30 minutes. It's amazing how much a person can get done in 30 minutes if you're pushing hard.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
Hey guys, a more in depth look at the evolution of training, with a slight focus on the Packers' program:

GBPG Link 

Weight training evolves, adapts to demands of game

When Brett Favre stayed home in Mississippi for most of the 2005 season, he embarked on a personal-training program at the Green Bay Packers prompting that helped nudge the buzz words core training into the mainstream.

Four years later, that phrase remains widely misunderstood, but Favres well publicized foray into a personalized and core-oriented program embodied the latest evolution in athletic training.

Especially over the past six or eight years, advances in the understanding of anatomy and movement have led to important changes in training for professional athletes that are trickling down through all levels of sports. Those changes have prompted trainers to adapt the use of traditional weight-room work to individual athletes and their specific sports and combine it with other training methods, both old and new, to better transfer training to the field of play.

It used to be just as simple as go in the weight room, throw some weights around, try to get stronger, said Ken Croner, the trainer from Athletes Performance in Tempe, Ariz., who went to Mississippi to work with Favre in 2005 and 07.

But through studies, through personal experiences trainers have had with athletes, theyve found there is probably a better way, because the body functions as a unit. Theres that old adage you should train like you play, and a lot of times if we look at the athlete individually we can help the body function better.

For all the gains made in anatomy and kinesiology (the study of human movement), there still are differences among well respected trainers around the world on how to best train athletes. Training, not only for competitive sports but for general fitness at large, is a burgeoning industry, and in the Internet age coaches and athletes at all levels can find an avalanche of information, some reliable and plenty not.

The differences in opinions even among the most successful trainers suggests sports science has a long way to go. But professionals seem to agree that the greatest recent advancements in athletic training are the personal screening of athletes and a move toward more core-oriented, sports-functional training.

Professional trainers routinely put clients through a series of diagnostic tests to identify weaknesses and imbalances in sports-related movements. There are any number of test routines, though most consist of six or eight basic movements.

Packers strength and conditioning coaches do that with every new player, and they retest all players periodically to monitor improvements as well as changes caused by injuries. A players workout program is then tailored to correct imbalances a weak ankle, leg, hip, shoulder or whatever and build from there.

The biggest advances are in the approach to anatomy, said Mark Lovat, who is in his 11th year as an assistant strength coach for the Packers. A more functional, anatomical approach to looking at athletes, looking at (movement) patterns and recognizing postural distortions and addressing those or not contributing to those, thats really where its at.

Screens often reveal that while training at all levels is getting more sophisticated, many workout programs are surprisingly bad. Ed Fitzsimmons, director of strength and conditioning at the University of Buffalo, said he routinely finds glaring weaknesses and basic functional deficiencies in Division I athletes who look like physical specimens when they show up on Buffalos campus. Theyve been athletic enough to compensate for the fundamental shortcomings of their high school workouts, but they are injuries waiting to happen.

They may show you theyre great athlete, they seem very athletic, but its mostly directed at the sport, he said. When you start to look deeper, they really are missing some vital components.

From the screenings, though, workout programs can vary greatly, depending on the sport and the teams training philosophy.

Though some training components apply to almost all sports requiring explosive movements, functional training for football is different than functional training for a rowing or baseball, and functional training even within a sport can vary widely based on the position. A baseball player performs in short, explosive bursts with long periods of rest; basketball and soccer players combine constant motion with regular bursts in any direction; and football players perform explosively for several seconds, then rest for 15 seconds to 25 seconds, and do it again for up to 65 times a game. And within football, a quarterback requires far different training for scrambling and throwing than an offensive lineman for pushing against 300-pound defensive tackles or pass protecting against explosive 250-pound defensive ends.

So, the Packers set the tempo of their weight-room training to the tempo of their game. They structure traditional weight-room work to build power endurance that is, repeated strength-oriented bursts and in-between sets, they perform other exercises, such as for the abdominals. Most of their lifting is with free weights while standing, and the emphasis is on movements such as the squat and power clean that require triple extension that is, flexing the ankles, knees and hips that most sports require.

Its that ability to extend, extend, extend, said Dave Redding, the Packers new strength coach. Stop on a dime and start on a dime, change directions on a dime, plant your feet. To me, athletes should be training on their feet and in space, because thats what they do.

Weight-room training also seems to be evolving away from heavy work toward using lighter weights moved more explosively, though again, trainers differ on the degree. The biggest concern is injury, because heavier weights place greater stress on the joints and back. Some trainers also think that moving lighter weights faster builds power better than moving heavier weights more slowly.

Fitzsimmons, for instances, said his Buffalo basketball players usually use less than 50 percent of their one-repetition maximum in squats and Olympic lifts. The goal is to do the movement explosively over four or six repetitions per set.

Its the how, not how much, Fitzsimmons said. If I can keep them moving forward and doing it correctly with no shivering and waving back and forth, you have the same results.

The goal, after all, is not to get stronger for weight-lifting competitions, but to become more athletic in other sports. And thats where the generic phrase core training comes into play.

The core is commonly misconstrued as the abdominal muscles, but in fact its all the muscles, both front and back, from the buttocks to the top of the shoulder blades. The core is further broken down to the inner core, which is the muscles around the pelvis, and the global core, which is predominantly the muscles you can see. Together, core muscles connect and coordinate athletic movement of the arms and legs.

Its the word functional thats gotten so abused, Fitzsimmons said. Its more of training movements, not (isolated) muscles. But that in itself is not it. Its how you train them, then how you condition them, then how you connect them. If you dont connect them correctly you havent got anything. Most of our athletes coming up now are so severely unintegrated like that, they cant do anything.

There are almost limitless ways to strengthen the core and integrate it with the arms and legs, both with traditional weight lifting and especially without. The core is heavily involved in all major full-body movements, so squats and Olympic lifts help integrate the core. So do plyometrics (explosive jumps and hops), which were first studied systematically in the old Soviet Union in the 1950s and 60s and have become a staple of almost all training programs today.

But there also are numerous ways to target the core more precisely without isolating it, and thats often done with slightly new twists on exercises that go back years, decades, even centuries.

For instance, the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates made perhaps the first reference to a medicine ball as a training device more than 2,000 ago, and for the first half of 20th Century, they were a big part of training grainy film images show boxing legend Jack Johnson throwing one around while working out in the early 1900s. By the 1970s, medicine balls were considered outdated, but now theyre back as a major component in training because of the variety of moves, throws and twists that carry over to almost all sports.

What youre doing there is getting a lot of bang for your buck, Croner said. Developing power, developing speed, full-body stuff, which is no different than when youre on the field.

Calisthenics such as pilates, the core-oriented body-weight program designed by Joseph Pilates to train the Italian Army for World War I, are another way. Pilates classes not only are now popular in the general public, but professional trainers and therapists use many of those moves to strengthen the core and integrate it with the rest of the body.

Many trainers also advocate performing some exercises on unstable surfaces such as a Swiss Ball, wobble and slant boards, foam pads or a BOSU ball. They force the core and central nervous system to work harder to perform coordinated movements with the arms and legs.

We let them progress to a certain point on a (weight-lifting) load and then say, OK, lets go to an unstable surface, Redding said. That load (declines). Then well progress to a certain load with that surface and we make the surface more difficult. So the difficulty doesnt become the load, the difference becomes surface change.

In fact, the ways to train the body for athletic improvement are nearly limitless. Croner, for instance, tied rubber tubing to Favre and had him perform rollouts, scrambles and awkward throws against its resistance. Its all in the name of function.

What youre doing should be about performance, Lovat said. Were not training to see how much a guy can lift, thats not our competition. Our training is a means to another end, playing football. So were going to draw from wherever we see fit as long as its applicable to playing the sport.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I read that article a week or so ago. Very informative. Thanks for posting it here for our review.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago

I read that article a week or so ago. Very informative. Thanks for posting it here for our review.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

that's funny. I started it a week or so ago and am still working on it!
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
@ :58 someone falls over a hurdle (off camera) and Rodgers just busts out laughing.

I like the whole hour workout deal. I used to be one of the those 2-3 hour gym rats until I realized I was doing nothing significant. 1 hour is the way to go.

Babre has bad form when he lifts. Haha, he sways too much if that makes sense to anyone. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (12h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.