Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 

On the roster: Evan Moore, Travis Dekker, Donald Lee, Jermichael Finley, Carson Butler, Tory Humphrey.

How many theyll keep: 2 or 3.

Best guess (*=starter): Lee*, Finley, Butler.

Breakdown: A year after Lee had one of the more productive seasons by a tight end in Packers history (48 receptions for 575 yards and six touchdowns), his numbers dropped (39-303-5) along with the rest of the position group. Tight ends accounted for lower percentages of receptions (16.3 percent, down from 17.8 percent in 2007), receiving yards (13.3, from 16.1) and TD catches (21.4, from 30) with Aaron Rodgers passing than they did in 2007 with Brett Favre. Lees drop was most pronounced, as his yards per catch dipped from 12.0 to 7.8 and he didnt have a reception longer than 29 yards.

Humphrey (11 catches for 162 yards) was a non-factor as a receiver in most games, while Finley (six catches for 74 yards, one TD) had all sorts of problems before flashing the last two weeks. Lee (6-4, 248) remains the most versatile tight end on the roster, a physical blocker with good hands, but doesn't scare a lot of people downfield. He almost certainly will remain the No. 1 tight end because Finley (6-5, 247), for all the physical talent that made him a third-round pick last year, remains young (22), raw and at times undisciplined.

Finleys size and athletic ability gives him a high ceiling as a receiving threat, particularly in the red zone, and hes a lock to make the team. As I wrote earlier this month, the likely third spot comes down to Humphrey (6-2, 255) who re-signed for one year and $460,000 after getting non-tendered as a restricted free agent and a couple players who never have appeared in a regular-season NFL game.

Moore (6-6, 247) has a big frame and flashed some athleticism in training camp last year, and hes had a year to study the offense while rehabbing a knee injury that landed him on injured reserve. If his knees OK, the biggest question with him is blocking.

Butler (6-4, 255) received a $6,000 signing bonus, tops among the Packers undrafted rookie signings on offense, and has an intriguing combination of size (7-foot-plus wingspan), speed (4.6 40) and hands. But he never lived up to his potential at the University of Michigan while repeatedly landing in the doghouse with two coaches, then leaving school a year early. Dekker (6-4, 256), undrafted out of Air Force, will sit out at least one season while completing his military obligation. The guess here is the Packers waited out Humphreys injury issues, didnt get a ton from him last year and are willing to take a chance if a younger player stands out in camp. Whether Butler or Moore will do that is impossible to say.

"packers gazzette.com" wrote:

Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I thought this was a interesting position since it's one of our least used positions on the field.

I remember last year Lee really wanted more passes and was pushing for them. He didnt get them; maybe the coaches didnt see some things in him that they would of liked. Let alone maybe he couldnt get open like our main 2 receivers DD and GJ.

Lots of people on this forum like finley. None can deny he was pretty raw last year. Missing numerous passes and doing some poor plays.

Obviously it seems Mike McCarthy is giving him a chance; He's got the attributes to be a good TE its just if he can pull it off.

Even thou humphrey only caught a few passes; IMO he was a great go-to guy. Had great hands and usually had a little speed after making that catch.

Perhaps this has to do with he's a free agent and feels he needs to work really hard for his play time etc ...

I dont know much about our other prospects; the author thinks we wil sign Butler. I'm leaning toward humphrey again since we already signed him.

What do you guys think?
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Lee, Finley and Humphrey I think are on the roster this year. I think Finley takes over as starter eventually this season.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Lee, Finley and Humphrey I think are on the roster this year. I think Finley takes over as starter eventually this season.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'd love to see that. Nothing against Lee, but I think that he was overachieving in 2007, more than underachieving his entire career. We need a playmaker at TE. Even Ted saw that, when he tried to bring in Gonzalez.

I think this is one of our overlooked weak points. It'd be great if we would've signed a good receiving TE, if only to mentor Finley, who was obviously very raw and didn't seem to be knowing what he was doing half the time.

Then again, who on earth would we have signed.
RaiderPride
14 years ago
I feel Jermicheal will be the go to T.E. by game four of next season.

I love this kid.... (A Third Round Pick) He is Young, young, young.....

Remember he was a sophomore when he was drafted by the Packers.

"Jermichael is a great kid who has worked hard to improve in each of his three years with us," Texas head coach Mack Brown said. "He finished his career ranked among the most productive receiving tight ends in school history and handled himself well both on and off the field during his time at Texas. He's leaving in good academic standing, and we hope he will come back to finish his degree in the future. We thank him, support him and look forward to following him in the NFL."

Watch this KID.

He is going to surprise in 2009, and excel in 2010.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Bigbyfan
14 years ago

I feel Jermicheal will be the go to T.E. by game four of next season.

I love this kid.... (A Third Round Pick) He is Young, young, young.....

Remember he was a sophomore when he was drafted by the Packers.

"Jermichael is a great kid who has worked hard to improve in each of his three years with us," Texas head coach Mack Brown said. "He finished his career ranked among the most productive receiving tight ends in school history and handled himself well both on and off the field during his time at Texas. He's leaving in good academic standing, and we hope he will come back to finish his degree in the future. We thank him, support him and look forward to following him in the NFL."

Watch this KID.

He is going to surprise in 2009, and excel in 2010.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (6h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (9h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (11h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (12h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (23h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Around The NFL / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.