Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I am chopping at the bit already to study a couple of these big ol' boys.... if we still have questions on the line next year.. there should be a couple of answers here.

Look at the freaking tackles.. Link.... 

NFP Senior Offensive Line Breakdown

FROM WES BUNTING:

The offensive line has recently become one of the most desired and popular positions on draft day. This years draft saw a total of six offensive linemen selected in the first round; in 2008, there were eight. So if the past is any indication, the 2010 class looks to be headed toward a lofty number of first-round picks.

The 2010 offensive line group is one of the most talented senior classes to come along in years, especially at the tackle spot, where its possible that as many as four senior tackles could earn potential first-round grades. But for now, heres a first look at the 2010 senior offensive line class.

The Top Three

OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State (6-5, 300)

Okung nearly declared for the 2009 draft, where he likely would have come off the board some time during the early/mid-first round. Instead, he decided to come back for his senior year and is now considered the top offensive lineman in the class. Okung is a gifted athlete who uses his long arms and smooth feet nicely in pass protection. He possesses a quick first snap off the ball and has the athleticism to reach the corner vs. the Big-12s top speed rushers. He also is very comfortable in space and exhibits the body control to effortlessly redirect. He needs to add a bit more power to his lower half, but he does a nice job consistently anchoring into his stance and stalling bull rushers. He has top-10 pick written all over him.

OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma (6-5, 309)

Williams, a former right tackle, will be switching to the left side and will have to keep the blind side of QB Sam Bradford clean in 2009. Hes a coordinated offensive lineman who possesses the body control and quickness to mirror defensive linemen in space. Hes a tough kid with a strong upper body and displays a jarring punch on contact. Williams seems to take pleasure in really getting after defenders in the run game and does a nice job finishing his blocks. He showcases the type of nastiness and grit you like to see from a big-time tackle prospect, but its his feet that will allow him to make a seamless transition to the NFL. Williams didnt receive much attention last year because of his highly publicized teammates, OT Phil Loadholt and OG Duke Robinson, but if you talk to any coach or scout, theyll tell you that Williams consistently graded out higher than either of them on game days.

OT Ciron Black, LSU (6-5, 325)

Black is a thickly built, physically imposing offensive tackle who has the lower body strength to consistently drive defenders off the ball. However, its Blacks gracefulness and fluidity in space that make him such a unique lineman. Not only can he create holes in the run game and engulf opposing defenders at the point, hes also very comfortable in space against even the top pass rushers in the SEC. Black displays a quick kick step, good flexibility and uses his long powerful arms to keep defensive linemen off his frame. Hes a three-year starter who has played in 40 consecutive games at LSU and possesses the versatility to play on either the left or right side of an offensive line in the NFL.

The Next Two

OG Sergio Render, Virginia Tech (6-3, 318)

Render is a thick, long armed guard who can be downright dominate at the point of attack. He is a natural bender with good flexibility and pad level, and showcases a jarring initial pop on contact. He consistently wins his initial hand battles and has the lower body strength and footwork to either drive defenders off the ball or simply turn them out of plays. Render is also gifted athlete who has no problem chipping on a lineman at the line and getting out to the second level. He exhibits natural coordination in the pass game and has the size and lower body strength to absolutely engulf defenders at the point. Render has the makings of a big time starting guard in the NFL, who can come in and start from day one due to his power, length and body control.

OG John Jerry, Mississippi (6-5, 348)

Jerry is an intriguing offensive lineman who moves extremely well for his size. He obviously has the power to anchor vs. the bull rush and can consistently drive defenders off the ball, but its his body control and fluidity in pass protection that make him such a unique prospect. He possesses a rare combination of size, power and athletic ability for the position and at times is downright dominant in SEC play. However, Jerry needs to do a better job working on his technique and learning to play with more natural leverage and pad level. He also needs to keep his weight in check because he has a tendency to wear down, which causes him to play too high. Even so, the guy has the skill set to become a very good starting interior lineman at the next level and is an ideal fit for a power run scheme.

The Rest

OT Adam Ulatoski, Texas (6-8, 310)

A big, good-looking offensive tackle who moves well for his size and has the length to consistently keep D-linemen off his frame and away from the quarterback.

OG Mike Johnson, Alabama (6-6, 305)

A tall, long-armed guard who is very comfortable in space and has the athletic skill set to mirror defensive linemen inside. Hes a natural bender but may need to add a bit more base strength to his frame to keep from being bullied by bigger defensive tackles.

OT Sam Young, Notre Dame (6-6, 330)

A thickly built offensive lineman with good length and athletic ability for his size. However, he has a tendency to get too high in pass protection and struggles playing with leverage.

C John Estes, Hawaii (6-2, 295)

A tough, athletic center who plays with natural leverage inside and has the ability to cut and seal at the second level.

OG Brandon Carter, Texas Tech (6-7, 354)

A massive interior lineman who plays with a mean streak and loves to his finish blocks. He lacks ideal fluidity for the position, but when hes asked to play in a phone booth, the guy is downright dominant at the point of attack.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
I wouldn't mind having Render out of VT. We could use an extra guard (to replace Colledge if he beats him in training camp) and he seems like he will be a good pro.

By the way, I used to have a topic about 2010 draft picks but for some reason it got merged with a different topic.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Everyone might as well get real acquainted with that list and ones just like it.

By far and away the biggest question mark I still have going into this season. I'm looking for some surprises from our talent pool on the o-line for 2009. Pleasant ones, for once. I keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

I have grown so weary of having a pack of not ready for primetime players on the o-line.

I would have grabbed Duke Robinson right after Meredith. That would have been an awesome trade-up, and an easily do-able one, imo.

If we had, I would not have anything to bitch about for this year in that department until training camp.

Whew--close call ! That would have sucked.

:thumbleft:
porky88
14 years ago
These are all Seniors

Bryan Bulaga of Iowa has a chance go very high as well and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in the top five when all said and done. That is the guy I'd watch especially since he's a pure left tackle in my view.

I actually wrote a mock for 2010 a week after the draft as a tease to next year really.

If you want to view it here's the link.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=651 
go.pack.go.
14 years ago

These are all Seniors

Bryan Bulaga of Iowa has a chance go very high as well and I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up in the top five when all said and done. That is the guy I'd watch especially since he's a pure left tackle in my view.

I actually wrote a mock for 2010 a week after the draft as a tease to next year really.

If you want to view it here's the link.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/articles/index.php?id=651 

"porky88" wrote:

I like the choice of Spiller there.....we do need a change of pace back.

31. Atlanta Falcons - Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College

The Falcons may look to address their linebackers or corners in next years draft. Herzlich will look to have another stellar season in 2009.

It's sad that the kid has cancer. Too bad he probably won't go pro (I hope I'm wrong).
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
Yeah I wrote that before he was diagnosed or at least before it went public. Unfortunately he has a tough journey ahead of him. Hopefully he can bounce back. It would be a great story.