Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Brad Jones and Jarius Wynn might be late-round draft picks, but they have one distinct edge over most of their Green Bay Packers teammates: They were selected specifically to play in the new 3-4 defense.[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20090501&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=90501150&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=180&Border=0[/img_r]

Unlike first-rounders B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews, who also were drafted to fill roles in the front seven of the 3-4 scheme., Jones and Wynn arent expected to start right away and arent even shoo-ins to make the roster. Nevertheless, the Packers scouts saw something that suggested they could be part of the roster turnover that inevitably will accompany the dramatic change in scheme over the next two or three years.

The 3-4 scheme is as much in my view, as part of the vision, about player acquisition and about defense, coach Mike McCarthy said Friday.

Wynn, a defensive end from Georgia, and Jones, an outside linebacker from Colorado, have the general skill set 3-4 teams look for at their respective positions, but not the eye-catching attributes of the higher-round picks. They made their first appearance in Packers uniforms Friday at the teams opening practice of rookie-orientation camp

Wynn at 6-foot-2 5/8 and 275 pounds is a little small for a 3-4 defensive end, but the Packers think he has the frame to hold more weight comfortably.

Jones, 6-3 and 238, also is a just a touch on the light side for his position but said he adds weight easily if necessary, though the Packers have not said anything about that yet. More importantly, he had something of a breakout season last year playing the role of a 3-4 outside linebacker for Colorado last season, even though the scheme officially was a 4-3. He said he rushed the passer both from a standing position and three-point stance, and also had extensive responsibilities in pass coverage, depending on the defensive call.

It seems like its an ideal circumstance really, Jones said of being drafted by the Packers. I cant tell you how much Im excited to be in this circumstance where theyre switching over a 3-4 and they chose me, a guy whos familiar with the 3-4 and did that in college, to come play.

Though many 3-4 teams use high draft picks to fill the key playmaker roles at outside linebacker in the 3-4, they also take their shots in later rounds for backups and developmental prospects. Like all positions the failure rate is higher in the later rounds than early, but 3-4 teams also have uncovered some good players by taking those shots. [img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20090501&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=90501150&Ref=V1&Profile=1058&MaxW=180&Border=0[/img_r]

The best known is Pittsburghs James Harrison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie out of Kent State in 2002, was released three times, but kept working and improving until last year he was named the NFLs defensive player of the year for the Super Bowl champions.

Another developmental outside linebacker who became a playmaker was Adalius Thomas, a sixth-round selection by Baltimore in 2000. He became a starter in 2002, and his production increased to the point that in 2007 he hit the free-agent market and signed a deal with New England that paid him $22 million the first two years.

Others who are starters or top backups as 3-4 outside linebackers are Clevelands David Bowens (fifth-rounder, starter) and Alex Hall (backup); Baltimores Jarrett Johnson (fourth-rounder, projected starter) and Antwan Barnes (fourth-rounder, backup); and Miamis Cameron Wake (undrafted CFL signee, projected starter) and Charlie Anderson (sixth-rounder, backup).

Jones was a three-year starter at Colorado who put up pedestrian numbers his first two years, but then in his expanded hybrid role as a senior had 78 tackles, including 14 for a loss, and seven sacks. The school also credited him with 14 quarterback hurries. He wasnt invited to the NFL scouting combine but helped himself this spring when he ran in the 40-yard dash in about 4.60 seconds at his campus workout.

His best chance to make a mark this season will be on special teams, which he played all four seasons at Colorado even though he was starter most of that time. McCarthy repeatedly has preached that switching to the 3-4 will improve the Packers special-teams play because more linebackers will be on the roster, and Jones is the kind of player hes talking about.

So Jones will get every chance to make this team as a seventh-round pick. But as far as becoming a real player?

Its all going to come down to hard work, he said. How hard do I want to work? How hard do I want to work in the weight room? Studying and learning the defense? And how hard do I want every play to make something happen?

The Packers drafted Wynn to play the lowest-profile and to some degree grunt position in the 3-4, defensive end. In the new schemes defensive ends primarily are two-gappers, that is, they play head-up over the tackles and try to occupy them so the linebackers can make tackles in the running game.

Wynn played both defensive end and tackle last year (three sacks, six hurries) and had the frame and power to convince the Packers he could play end in the 3-4. Teams using the 3-4 generally want their defensive ends to weigh anywhere from 290 pounds to 320 pounds, and the Packers might want Wynn to get that big in the future. But for now theyve told him to get in the 280 range, which is only about five pounds more than his current weight.

Wynn was a junior-college transfer whose time at a two-year school appeared to be of immense help. Rather than attend a conventional junior college, he went to Georgia Military College in Milledgville, Ga. The cadets had to abide by a rigid and full daily schedule that ran from formation at 5:45 a.m. to taps at 11 p.m.

His two years there still show. When meeting with reporters in the Packers locker room Friday he stood straight, looked each questioner directly in the eyes, and included sir or maam in his answers.

(The school) taught me a lot of discipline, respect, honor, he said. Just hard work

What do you think about that?
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Well I see Jarius Wynn will be #94....

Anyway, I think we got two good back-ups and special teams players.
UserPostedImage
AJistheHawk50
14 years ago
they were drafted especially for the 3-4 so they better show promise
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Well, I understand the Wynn pick if he's going to bulk up a little. I thought he was to light to play the DE and to big to play OLB, combined with a pretty bad 40.

I hope he'll stay effective while gaining a couple of pounds. Getting an extra D-lineman can't hurt us at all.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.