wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 years ago

Though there is no reconciliation in sight yet, the fact that the two sides are still on speaking terms and are trying to work through the issues is a good sign. The saga of Aaron Rodgers’ discontent with the Green Bay Packers  took another turn on Monday afternoon. The reigning NFL MVP remains unhappy with his employers, according to new reports, but the two sides are at least on speaking terms even if they are not close to getting Rodgers back into the fold just yet.
On Monday afternoon, [URL=https://go.redirectingat.com?id=66960X1516590&xs=1&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfl.com%2Fvideos%2Frapoport-packers-have-made-significant-long-term-contract-offer-to-rodgers&referrer=sbnation.com&sref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.acmepackingcompany.com%2F2021%2F5%2F10%2F22429162%2Fpackers-aaron-rodgers-have-been-negotiating-but-still-need-to-iron-out-issues" rel="sponsored nofollow noopener" target="_blank]NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport said on that network[/URL] that the two sides have been talking over the past few weeks. Rapoport says that the Packers have offered Rodgers a “significant, long-term contract extension,” which would seemingly address one of Rodgers’ primary concerns — his future as the team’s starting quarterback.
General manager Brian Gutekunst and team president Mark Murphy both have stated publicly that their goal is for Rodgers to be the Packers’ starting quarterback moving forward, using phrases like “for the foreseeable future” and “in 2021 and beyond.” Knowing the length and structure of a proposed extension would provide much more clarity to what those comments actually mean and what time frame the Packers’ brass actually sees for Rodgers.
Rapoport further noted that “the two sides have been negotiating — it’s not like they’ve been talking to themselves.” That’s a positive sign that at least Rodgers and his camp have not fully shut the door on a return to the Packers, which was the implication of the report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter  that broke on the first day of the 2021 NFL Draft . Instead, Rapoport says that “there certainly has been some engagement from Rodgers’ side.”
Indeed, the fact that Rodgers’ camp is engaged seems like a step forward — a small one, at least. Last week, Rapoport’s colleague Mike Garafolo reported  that after the season Rodgers told some free agent players that “I’m probably not going to be here (in Green Bay).” Rapoport reiterated and reframed that report Monday, saying that “Rodgers has talked to several different players about joining him somewhere else,” though he noted that the Packers still publicly state that they will not trade him. In terms of a timeline, those conversations with free agents would have taken place prior to the start of the league year in mid-March, and the fact that Rodgers and the Packers are still talking is a positive sign.
One other notable nugget from Rapoport is that the Packers “have done a lot of different things to try to make Aaron Rodgers happy.” Although Rapoport provided no details beyond that of the contract offer, one possibility is giving Rodgers clearer lines of communication on personnel moves — after all, that appears to be one of his biggest sticking points with the organization , and Gutekunst even acknowledged he made mistakes in that area regarding the Jordan Love pick .
Meanwhile, Packers players continue to take questions about the situation from the media. In an interview with Colin Cowherd of FOX Sports Monday, wide receiver Davante Adams said that he has spoken to Rodgers, noting that “a lot is still being figured out on his end.” Evidently Adams understands the frustrations Rodgers has expressed about the team, noting that he is “100% behind” his quarterback and that “a few things need to get ironed out.” However, he expressed confidence that the two sides would be able to come to an amicable arrangement: “hopefully I’ll be back on the show and we’ll be celebrating.”
Any indication that the two sites are still talking is better than the situation that Adam Schefter of ESPN described before day one of the 2021 NFL Draft , when he suggested that Rodgers was dead-set against returning to the team. Schefter has since pulled back from that reporting somewhat, though his explanation that it was based on “an accumulation of information”  conflicts with his original report, which explicitly said that league and team sources communicated the information that day.
Ultimately, the Packers and Rodgers still appear to have a long way to go before coming to a reconciliation. Talking about the situation is the first step, however, and it is a positive sign that the two sides are doing so.

Continue Reading @ Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

Little steps is better than not speaking at all. It's probably going to be a long, slow painful process (from the fan's perspective.) but more than likely we'll all get there.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Well, at least they are talking.
If Rodgers is our QB this year, he better be as good as he was last year, or I believe the fans will turn on him.
That’s what I think at least.
UserPostedImage
Emeraldgreen
2 years ago
What is there to fix in the system that Rodgers isnt happy about. He got a nice hefty contract, he plays of a legendary team, he has made historic records for himself as a Packer. What else does he want? He is being a spoiled brat if you ask me. And if he should get any type of injury during a game or elsewhere, sit him for the rest of the season and let someone else take over at QB. I hate GREED !! The amount of money this guy is being given and he wants to complain? Let me see him earn a pay check at my salary, and see what struggling is like in the everyday life for millions of people, including die hard Packers fans who take the time to buy tickets and see the team play.
Cheesey
2 years ago

What is there to fix in the system that Rodgers isnt happy about. He got a nice hefty contract, he plays of a legendary team, he has made historic records for himself as a Packer. What else does he want? He is being a spoiled brat if you ask me. And if he should get any type of injury during a game or elsewhere, sit him for the rest of the season and let someone else take over at QB. I hate GREED !! The amount of money this guy is being given and he wants to complain? Let me see him earn a pay check at my salary, and see what struggling is like in the everyday life for millions of people, including die hard Packers fans who take the time to buy tickets and see the team play.

Originally Posted by: Emeraldgreen 

You got that right, my friend!
He’s already made more money in the last 15 years then everyone in this site has made combined. Yes, he’s a great QB. But he seems spoiled and used to getting his way. At some point, someone has to have the guts to say NO to “his highness”.
I don’t want him gone as our QB. But if he’s going to be a cancer on the team, then maybe it’s time to move on.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
If there is ANY truth that he talked to other players about going to another team, then I don’t want him back.
I doubt we will ever know for sure what the truth is in this situation, until years from now.
Maybe not even then.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago
It may suck, but I am thinking it might just be best to sell high. Can we possibly get more for Aaron that we can right now? Heck if Davante is pissed maybe you add him in the trade as well. Denver is the trade partner with the most to give so getting back Teddy (for a year), Surtain, Jeudy and some picks. I am on board. Getting picks even allows us to possibly trade for another QB if Jordan doesn't pan out. My fear is being spiteful and Aaron coming back not committed and reducing his trade value or putting us in a poor bargaining position. I think we are in the best possible trade position now.
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago
I saw someone say that the thing that needs to be "ironed out" is that he wants a no trade clause. A few years ago he pointed out that MLB has the clause and he thinks the NFL should have it too.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

I saw someone say that the thing that needs to be "ironed out" is that he wants a no trade clause. A few years ago he pointed out that MLB has the clause and he thinks the NFL should have it too.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

A “no trade clause” from someone that wants to be traded???🤪
Huh?!?
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Hockey has no trade clauses as well for players. As a fan from Ottawa, I can say when you want to deal players you lose ton of value and players already do not want to come to your city just like Green Bay.
wpr
  • wpr
2 years ago

A “no trade clause” from someone that wants to be traded???🤪
Huh?!?

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

No. After he works out a satisfactory deal he doesn't want to be traded 2-3 years from now.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.