wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

Chandon Sullivan was one of the Packers’ best surprises during its NFC Championship Game run in 2019. A 13-3 season, NFC North championship, and postseason run to the NFC Championship  Game were all fantastic surprises for the Green Bay Packers  over the course of the 2019 season. And while the team ultimately did fall short of its Super Bowl  aspirations, it was an encouraging sign for an organization that underwent a head coaching change the previous offseason and took an expensive gamble on a number of prized free agents.
Outside of Matt LaFleur’s rather surprising start to his NFL head coaching career, the Packers received a number of noteworthy, and perhaps overachieving, performances from other newcomers to the roster. As Green Bay enters the offseason and turns its attention toward the 2020 season, here is a look back at some of those surprising individuals from the past year.
Chandon Sullivan 
The second-year pro had to scratch and claw to make the Packers’ final roster, but by season’s end, Sullivan  became a real contributor in the secondary.
Although he only had one interception on the season, Sullivan leap-frogged recent draft picks Ka’Dar Hollman and Josh Jackson  and cemented himself as a dime cornerback so much that Tony Brown  became expendable. Sullivan added six pass deflections and a forced fumble while playing behind Jaire Alexander , Kevin King , and Tramon Williams. For what it is worth, Sullivan posted a higher grade from Pro Football Focus than all but Williams during the 2019 season. From roster bubble to a 16-game contributor, Sullivan should have another opportunity to make a difference next season.
Allen Lazard 
When the Packers initially trimmed their roster down to 53 at the end of summer, Lazard  was one of the final casualties despite having a solid training camp and earning a bit of praise from Aaron Rodgers. It did not take long for Lazard  to find his way back to Green Bay in some capacity, signing to the practice squad the following day and then getting elevated to the active roster three days later. What a difference he made for the offense from that point forward.
In a season in which Green Bay saw very few young receivers take a step forward as hoped, Lazard  may have guaranteed a roster spot for himself in 2020. The former Iowa State Cyclone appeared in all 16 games and even made three starts en route to a 35-catch, 477-yard season with a trio of touchdown receptions. While Lazard is not an athletic wonder, he does bring size to the position and became a reliable route runner over the middle. He continued to gain Rodgers’ trust over the course of the season and was the team’s number two pass-catcher as it came to a close.
Za’Darius Smith
Sure, Smith’s contract suggested the Packers thought highly of the fifth-year pro when they signed him last spring. But who could have expected the quick impact the pass rusher could make?
On the field, Smith became a leader of the defense with his emotional play and consistent effort. A 16-game starter, Smith tallied 13.5 sacks in his first season with Green Bay, adding 17 tackles for a loss and 37 quarterback hits, according to Pro Football Reference. Smith eventually worked his way into the Pro Bowl , but he was an absolute disrupter for the Packers’ defense and a player opposing offenses needed to account for at all times. While Preston Smith was also an instrumental addition to the team, Za’Darius gave Green Bay the type of versatile pass-rushing demon it searched for for a very long time. The future is bright for a player like Smith just entering his prime.
B.J. Goodson 
The Packers received Goodson  for next to nothing in a trade with the New York Giants  prior to the start of the regular season, but the fourth-year inside linebacker went on to start nine games for the Packers in 15 total appearances.
While Goodson ’s stats were not flashy with 35 tackles and no takeaways, the fact that he started half the team’s games was surprising. Oren Burks  was supposed to nail down that starting spot next to Blake Martinez  before a late injury in preseason. Although the Packers did use a combination of Raven Greene  and Ibraheim Campbell  in the inside on passing downs, Goodson’s overall addition and average of 17 snap counts per game were not expected in 2019.
Elgton Jenkins 
Darnell Savage  turned in a promising rookie season with 14 starts, but he was a first-round pick at a safety position looking for immediate upgrades. Jenkins, taken in the second round, was expected to sit behind Billy Turner  and Lane Taylor  at guard for a season before fighting for a starting role. When Taylor  was injured and lost for the season after just two games, that opportunity came quicker than expected.
The results were surprisingly comforting. Though Jenkins was penalized 10 times during the entire year, including six holding calls, he earned a spot on the Professional Football Writers of America All-Rookie team for his outstanding play. Jenkins allowed just one quarterback hit and no sacks as a pass protector, while only posting one blown block  in the running game. Green Bay has a decision to make in the offseason on its future at right tackle with Bryan Bulaga  entering free agency, but Jenkins’ play as a rookie is reassuring at the left guard spot for a long time to come.

Continue Reading @ Shawn Wagner 

Shawn Wagner wrote:

Lazard and Goodson are a little bit of a reach. Overall I was pleased with the results.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
4 years ago
A reach? Lazard was undrafted, went to the practice squad initially, and ended the season as the Packer's #2 WR. To say he was a pleasant surprise is an understatement.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
4 years ago

A reach? Lazard was undrafted, went to the practice squad initially, and ended the season as the Packer's #2 WR. To say he was a pleasant surprise is an understatement.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I get it he was an UDFA who was cut before the season. All things considered he did a decent job. I didn't mean to imply he had a terrible season. I guess that shows how lousy the receiving corps were this year. 35 receptions (5th) on 56 targets (6th) for 477 yards (2nd) is considered wonderful.

My list would be Aaron Jones, Jenkins, Z Smith, Savage and Sullivan.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I get it he was an UDFA who was cut before the season. All things considered he did a decent job. I didn't mean to imply he had a terrible season. I guess that shows how lousy the receiving corps were this year. 35 receptions (5th) on 56 targets (6th) for 477 yards (2nd) is considered wonderful.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't think the stats alone are what is considered wonderful. It is getting that kind of production from an undrafted rookie that is wonderful.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
4 years ago

I don't think the stats alone are what is considered wonderful. It is getting that kind of production from an undrafted rookie that is wonderful.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I understand. I don't totally and completely disagree. That's why my first comment was that I thought it was "a little but of a reach". Not that Shawn's selections were unwarranted. I then posted my choices.

I see criticism of my opinion but I don't see anyone else putting their choices out there. I even think P Smith gave us more than expected.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I understand. I don't totally and completely disagree. That's why my first comment was that I thought it was "a little but of a reach". Not that Shawn's selections were unwarranted. I then posted my choices.

I see criticism of my opinion but I don't see anyone else putting their choices out there. I even think P Smith gave us more than expected.

I haven't really had time to look at it much. I do think the OLB's were heads and shoulders better than I would have expected even on a homer-ish level of thinking.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

He continued to gain Rodgers’ trust over the course of the season and was the team’s number two pass-catcher as it came to a close.

Ugh, that wretched phrase again. 🤮 Has there ever been another top-flight quarterback about whose tender feelings reporters and commentators were so solicitous the way they are for Rodgers'? I don't remember ever hearing endless references to Peyton Manning's or Brett Favre's need for trust in their receivers. I don't hear it with Tom Brady or Drew Brees either. They make do with what they have.

That being said, the drop-off in production between the No. 1 receiver and the No. 2 receiver is pretty dramatic. Like fall-off-a-cliff dramatic.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
4 years ago

Context is important. The article states that these players were pleasant surprises, not that they were all-pros. A pleasant surprise generally means to get more than you expected out of a player, or to get anything out of someone who is a fringe sort of guy like Lazard. At no point did the article claim he was "wonderful", in fact, the article states that he may have earned roster spot, which is a fairly reserved take on the young fellow.

These are not terrible choices, but all but Sullivan had high expectations going into the season.
blank
beast
4 years ago
Lazzard went from not making the roster to being the starter in the same season... if that's not the definition of a surprise, then I don't know what is....

He should clearly be on this list more than anyone else...

Sullivan as well....

Goodson I got mixed feelings about, but he was good in a very limited role...

But trying to think of other names, that are better surprise in positivitie ways is tough.

Maybe Bulaga? Clark being used in a new role, which I don't think suits him as well, think he can be an all pro NT but not as good as the 3 tech, but did better than expected. S Greene until his injury.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
4 years ago

Context is important. The article states that these players were pleasant surprises, not that they were all-pros. A pleasant surprise generally means to get more than you expected out of a player, or to get anything out of someone who is a fringe sort of guy like Lazard. At no point did the article claim he was "wonderful", in fact, the article states that he may have earned roster spot, which is a fairly reserved take on the young fellow.

These are not terrible choices, but all but Sullivan had high expectations going into the season.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I'm glad Lazard made the team and had a somewhat decent season all things considered. But don't tell me you had that high of expectations for the players I named.

You mean to tell me you expected Jones to lead the league in TDs? He doubled his output from last year. No one saw that coming. Not even close.

Z Smith got his big payday and it was hoped he would sort of kinda live up to it somewhat. People were saying GB only needed to keep him for 2 years of his 4 year deal. I don't think anyone expected him to step up as much as he did. He out performed that contract and earned every nickle he got and then some. 

Jenkins? Common man. Yes he was a second round pick but what a year he had. No one knew he would not only be the starter but he was a shut down lineman far exceeding his rookie expectations by miles. 

People hoped Savage would be a solid player given the dire need GB had for him but look at how many safeties need 2 or 3 years before they play at the level he played at this year. Nick Collins?

Just because someone is a big name doesn't mean they can't out perform what is expected of them by miles and miles.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.