longtimefan
15 years ago
ROAD TO 09 FOR THE PACKERS 

The Road to 09: Green Bay Packers

1. What do we make of the Packers defensive line?

A new coordinator usually signifies plenty of changes when it comes to personnel. In Green Bay, Dom Capers brings his 3-4 defensive front to Lambeau Field and the Packers are going to have to find some players to fit the new scheme.

Yes, theres always a chance that through springs mini-camps and the early part of training camp that Capers will find what hes looking for from the holdovers on the 08 roster. But that doesnt mean the Pack wont look to the draft later this month to fill a spot or two in their front three.

I like defensive end Cullen Jenkins in any defensive front. The guy can play football, and he has the size (6-2, 305) to play DE in a 3-4 front. However, I would expect the Packers to at least consider defensive end with the No. 9 pick in the draft. Justin Harrell (6-4, 310), a former Packers first-round pick, has played 13 games in two NFL seasons cant stay healthy, and Mike Montgomery (6-5, 273) is an undersized back-up who is better suited to come off the edge from a 4-3 front.

At the nose tackle position, Ryan Pickett (6-2, 330) has the size and quickness to play the position, but that doesnt mean well see immediate production from the former Ohio State star. The nose demands production, plus theres a lot of responsibility that goes along with it. Can Pickett be that player for Green Bay? Maybe, and Boston Colleges B.J. Raji would be a great pick for the Packers but I doubt hell fall to No. 9.

You need size and quickness from any 3-4 front to be an effective defense. Should be interesting to see if the Packers add a starter or some depth in the draft to a unit that has to stay healthy in 09. Green Bay gave up more than 131 yards a game on the ground last season and that just isnt good enough.

2. Do the Packers need offensive line help?

Green Bay gave up 34 sacks last season and may have an issue at the right tackle position. Tony Moll is the listed as the current starter on the depth chart (granted, its April), and Mark Tauscher will most likely not be back in a Packer uniform in 09. They need to make a move here, folks. Going into the season with questions at the tackle position is never a good thing, but it might be the only option for Green Bay.

But do the Packers invest their first-round pick in a tackle possibly Alabamas Andre Smith, whos been sliding down draft boards since the NFL Combine in Indianapolis? Or do they stick with the holdovers from 08 and move forward? Something to think about the next couple of weeks.

One position to keep an eye on in term of competition is center. Scott Wells will go into mini-camps with the first unit at starter, but former Buffalo Bill Duke Preston, who came via free agency, has the athleticism and strength to challenge Wells if hes given the opportunity which he should be since Green Bay went out and got him. Preston also has experience at the guard position, and it wouldnt surprise me if he beats out Wells by opening day.

3. What do we make of the outside linebackers in GB?

With Capers 3-4 front soon to be installed, the Packers will look different at linebacker. The most obvious change is former Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman moving to outside linebacker.

Kampman, who was a linebacker at Iowa early in his college career, has the athletic ability to rush from the standing position, is a good tackler and will be able to play in space.

One of the biggest misconceptions about playing outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme is the theory that these guys will be dropping into coverage all day long.

Yes, Kamp will drop from time to time, but hes going to be asked to play the same style that has made Dallas DeMarcus Ware into a Pro Bowler.

Plus, as GM Ted Thompson said at the Combine, Kampman will rush from the defensive end position in the majority of the Packers sub-packages (nickel, dime) when Green Bay uses a four-man front.

The question for me is the outside linebacker position opposite Kampman. I believe the Packers can upgrade over Brady Poppinga and look to draft a playmaking linebacker who can put pressure on the quarterback and match up with running backs out of the backfield. Everette Brown from Florida State comes to mind. He can play DE in a 4-3 front, but I like him as an OLB in Capers system he will get to the quarterback, giving the Packers two rushers off the edge.

4. Is Aaron Rodgers ready to take the next step?

Now that Rodgers has a full season as a starter under his belt, its time for him to take that next step and become a big-game quarterback.

Yes, he was great for fantasy football in terms of numbers, but he needs to show up in the fourth quarter of games and needs to play better on the road. Twice last season in crucial fourth-quarter situations, he came up short throwing game-ending interceptions against Jacksonville and Carolina. We can talk stats all we want when it comes to judging a quarterbacks season, but the only stat that counts is wins and six isnt going to get it done in Green Bay.

But if we have to talk stats, then we have to look at the comparison of Rodgers at Lambeau and his play on the road.

HOME AWAY

67.9 (comp. percentage) 59.5 (comp. percentage)

15 TDs 13 TDs

4 INTs 9 INTs

104.7 QB Rating 83.3 QB Rating

I think Rodgers has the tools to be the leader of this team for a long time, but before we start to anoint him as the next great Packers quarterback, lets see how he progresses from 08 to this year.

I know there will be plenty of people who disagree with me on this one, but just as Ill say about Jay Cutler when I talk about the Bears, young quarterbacks with losing records as starters are viewed on potential whereas I view them on wins.

How many wins can they bring to your franchise? How many big plays can they make in the fourth quarters? How dependable are they on the road? Can they bring a team from behind in the fourth quarter?

Sure, those are a lot of questions, but theyre fair questions when judging the most important and crucial position in the NFL. Rodgers is close, but he needs to produce wins in 09 before I jump on his bandwagon.

5. Can a new coordinator make a difference in one year?

This might be the ultimate question surrounding the Packers defense as we look forward to 09. To talk about installing a 3-4 defensive front as a cure-all for their defensive woes is talk and talk doesnt produce in the NFL.

However, I was part of changes like this during my own career, and Im here to tell you that sometimes new leadership is more important than personnel.

Yes, the Packers do need to address some positions along the defensive line and possibly at linebacker at some point in this months draft, but bringing in Capers might have been the biggest addition in the offseason for this franchise.

Remember, Green Bay and Thompson believe that you build teams through the draft without overspending and taking chances on free agents.

Judging from readers comments this offseason, you might not be in favor of this, but it isnt going to change any time soon in Green Bay. Instead of brining in over-hyped talent (like DE Chris Canty form Dallas), the Packers brought in Capers.

I was in Washington when Joe Gibbs brought in Gregg Williams to lead our defense and things changed the minute he walked through the door. Obviously, the results might not be there on opening day, but youll see a defense that plays faster and attacks the football from every position.

The players still have to play on Sundays and theyll be on the bench if they dont but theyll be a better unit than last year. I cant tell you where theyll rank, but if they want to compete with Minnesota and Chicago, they have to start with defense.

DRAFT POSSIBILITIES

PICK NO. 9

1. Everette Brown, OLB, Florida State

2. Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

3. Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

DarkaneRules
15 years ago
Informative... I like. I hope we take either one of those guys. Cool beans...
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
millertime
15 years ago
As much as I like Everette Brown, I'm leaning towards Smith if he falls to us. Franchise tackles are hard to come by, when pass rushers can be had in round 2 (See Lamarr Woodley). Having Smith at LT would also cement Colledge at guard or RT.

An O-line of:

LT: Clifton
LG: Colledge
C: Spitz
RG: Sitton
RT: Andre Smith

looks good on paper.

We'll see.
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
I think this highlights the gaping holes this team still has and needs to be address for this team to even think about going late into the playoffs.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I find it odd that this author bags on Rodgers for not showing up in the 4th quarter, when the Packers scored more 4th-quarter points than any other team last year.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
15 years ago
ya my opinion is that changing most of our D staff and switching to the 3-4 is the biggest change we could do.

Think about it we have dom and greene coaching our guys. I'd love it if we got some good talent to go with those 2.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

I find it odd that this author bags on Rodgers for not showing up in the 4th quarter, when the Packers scored more 4th-quarter points than any other team last year.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

We did? That' surprising. Where did you find that out?
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
The fact that the author states "wins are the only stat that matters" is pure bullshit. I reckon Kerry Collins is better than Peyton Manning then. Wins are an important indicator but you shouldn't throw other stats away because of them.

I feel like OL is a much bigger than written in the article. I'm not happy if Wells, Colledge and Spitz start on the inside. They stunk last year. Hopefully Sitton will at least grab one of those spots. And we definetly need to draft an OT than can start games this season already. I really don't like Tony "False Start" Moll that much.
This is a placeholder
15 years ago
Well, a trade down seems ideal. We need a tackle, a 3-4 DE, and a 3-4 OLB. If we could have 3 picks in the top 45, it would be perfect. Something like Oher, English, and Hood would be a dream.
I don't know if a trade down will be possible though.
We can't go into the season with Moll as RT, that's for sure. Sitton or a high draft pick need to be there.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
15 years ago

Well, a trade down seems ideal. We need a tackle, a 3-4 DE, and a 3-4 OLB. If we could have 3 picks in the top 45, it would be perfect. Something like Oher, English, and Hood would be a dream.
I don't know if a trade down will be possible though.
We can't go into the season with Moll as RT, that's for sure. Sitton or a high draft pick need to be there.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

We really need to take 2 lineman with our top 4 picks. I just feel Clifton's play has regressed to the point where he needs a little tight end help and/or running chipping, and worse case, he has a season ending injury.

Some people think Breno can handle right tackle, but that is a big responsibility for a young player. I've heard Breno plays with some nastiness as well. What I know for sure is that Tony Moll is nothing more than bench player and it won't hurt my feelings if he doesn't make the team this year.

I'm not sure what to think of move College to tackle. When he has had to slide, I think he has done pretty well. If Clifton can give us another year, the line should be OK, but if he goes down, I see O-line as a big problem.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.