DarkaneRules
15 years ago
A friend of mine who is a huge Bear fan agreed with me that the move for Hester to WR was made out of need not desire and isn't best for the team. Hester has made it clear that doing both wear him out and I don't see "better" work-outs will change that. Hester as the return man was probably the best thing the Bears had going for them. Special teams and opportunistic defense always spelled doom for us playing the Bears in seasons past.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
zombieslayer
15 years ago

It could be just be me but I don't think buzz is needed. If fact I kinda like it that isn't much easier to sneak up on teams.

Maybe it's because I've lived around a lot of Redskins fans for most of my life and every single year there seems to be hype buzz and hype about all the things they do in FA and they usually fail and fail big time.

Yeah yeah yeah the Bears got Cutler.... but what else to they got? They lost both their starting OTs.... also their RB lead the team in catches last year..... what good offense has had the RB with more catches?

Hester is quick and speedy.... still doesn't make him good enough to start for most teams in the NFL at WR and what other WR to they got? People say Hester a big time treat to score...... guess how many TDs he has..... the same number as S Nick Collins..... yes they have the same amount of TDs on the season with 3.

Basically the only weapons Cutler has are the RB and the TE. Now the TE is very good and he's gonna be hard to stop but I don't seem how Cutler makes as big an impact when he's losing the Denver running game, Brandon Marshal and the rest of those WRs (which Denver may have 3 WR better than Hester) and Denver's very very good OL and replaceing that with the Bears offense....... and only one draft pick in the top 3 and a half rounds.

I think Ted Thompson should add another vet on the DL but the Packers don't need a big move of any kind...... just maybe a good vet DL guy....... also if they do make a big move I want TE Tony Gonzalez..... the TEs last year were no where to be seen and I think a great TE could take the offense to a whole other level could a team cover Gonzalez, Jennings and Driver? Maybe even add in Jones or Nelson...... that would be extremely hard to cover.... and if Spitz beat out Wells for C and everyone healthy I see the inside of the OL taking a big step with Colledge, Spitz and Sitton because taking Wells out makes it a lot better at run blocking......

"beast" wrote:

Very well written.

I do think we need to address some issues though, and I agree, we need a good solid DL pickup. Our DL was the root cause of falling to 6-10. I'd also be happy with a good OL acquisition.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
Cheesey
15 years ago

We're a team that went 6-10, but we're not a 6-10 team. People disagree with that, and that's fine. But I believe it. I believe our guys believe it. I'm excited for the draft. I am one who thinks a change to the 3-4 necessitates the moving of some players. I also think that the draft holds more attention (or at least historically has held with Ted Thompson) and that after it, if there are glaring deficiencies, we will make an acquisition.

It doesn't have to be now so in the meantime I probably won't be too critical.

"evad04" wrote:

I agree with you.
The bounces all went against us last season, where the season before it was the opposite. We recovered muffed punts, had all kinds of crazy things go our way, and went 13-3. Had a handful of those goofy plays not happened, we could have easily NOT made the playoffs.
We went 6-10, but it's not like we lost every game by 30 points. We were in almost all of the games till the end. If we can fix the problems we had (which i think we can) we should be in the playoff hunt this year.
Had Aaron Rodgers stunk it up, and we lost by a ton of points every game, i'd not be so optomistic. But that wasn't the case at all.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

A friend of mine who is a huge Bear fan agreed with me that the move for Hester to WR was made out of need not desire and isn't best for the team. Hester has made it clear that doing both wear him out and I don't see "better" work-outs will change that. Hester as the return man was probably the best thing the Bears had going for them. Special teams and opportunistic defense always spelled doom for us playing the Bears in seasons past.

"DarkaneRules" wrote:

Yeah. This was a dumb move. STs are that one wild card that gets you one or two sneaky wins a year if they're good or one or two TV shattering losses a year if they're bad.

Geez, isn't he scoring LESS TDs as a full-time WR than he did as a STs demon?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡Ή πŸ‡²πŸ‡² πŸ‡¦πŸ‡·
15 years ago

Jerry Rice. Did he have Hester's speed? No. But he ran perfect routes. If Montana was throwing to Hester, his INT total would be significantly higher. And Cutler is no Joe Montana.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

UserPostedImage

"You have a dizzying intellect." πŸ˜‰
zombieslayer
15 years ago

Well, I do not have many positive things to say right now. I think Donald Driver and Jennings are awesome WR's. Woodson and Harris are good but slowing down and I worry about the depth behind them. A-Rod isn't going to win, or to be fair, lose games by himself playing like he did last year, so I think we need help all over the place. I'm not saying cut all the other guys but we should be looking to upgrade all the units other than WR position as a whole.

A few nice pieces surrounded by average, inexperienced players is where I see us. Certainly not a place I feel comfortable sitting. It's frustrating because their are pieces out there. Not big overpriced guys but solid veterans to go with the youth.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Al Harris is slowing down. Woody is not. '08 showed no signs whatsoever of him slowing down. He got an All-Pro nod, which is much, much better than a Pro Bowl nomination. 7 INTs, 2 returned for TDs, 3 sacks. Arguably top 2 in the league.

I hear what you're saying about blind optimism (in some other parts). I consider myself a realist. We HAVE to fix the lines. Fix the lines and we have as good as a shot at the SB as anyone. Don't fix them and we can end up 6-10 again.

Our WR core is top tier. Anyone who wants to argue with that, feel free. You'd just be wrong. Our QB is top 10. Do I need to whip out stats? Our RBs, well, '08 was a let down. I had higher hopes for Grant and he looked very average in '08.

Our DBs are arguably top tier and unarguably top 10. Our LB core can use a bump up and our DL in '08 was pathetic, but that was mostly due to injuries and lack of depth.

Our Coaching staff in '09 made a big upgrade. I can't wait. The changes that needed to be made were made.

If we have another season at 6-10 in '09, I will be calling for either MM's or TT's dismissal. However, I have a strong feeling we will at least have a winning record. '09 is a make it or break it year. If I had to bet, I'd bet with make it. And that's not blind optimism, but seeing the '09 Green Bay Packer team as objectively as I possibly can.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
You really nailed it Zombie. There is so much parity in the league good management and coaching is so important to be able to compete on a high level. Most teams that are not SB contenders are only 2 or 3 players away with a couple of exceptions.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

It's frustrating because their are pieces out there. Not big overpriced guys but solid veterans to go with the youth.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Kevin Carter
Vonnie Holliday
UserPostedImage