MassPackersFan
15 years ago
JSOnline Link 

A weight-and-see view on strength plan
Lifting regimen requires rest time

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Mar. 18, 2009

By the end of this week, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy might have to reassure his players that his decision to hire Dave Redding as his new strength and conditioning coach was not made in a moment of delirium.

"Yeah, they're not going to like me very much," joked Redding, a 23-year veteran of NFL weight rooms and a member of the USA Strength and Conditioning Coaches' Hall of Fame.

Contrary to what you might think, players aren't going to be cursing Redding's ancestors because their muscles are sore from pulling freight trains or picking up 500-pound stones. If they're muttering anything under their breath - provided they're not huffing and puffing too much to do so - it will be that he isn't asking them to lift that much weight at all.

Redding, whose Nebraska roots can be detected in his folksy central plains accent, brings a slightly different philosophy to the Packers' offseason conditioning program. Players will be focusing as much on endurance and explosiveness as building muscle mass and brute strength.

And perhaps as important as any lift, they'll be required to take Wednesday off to promote recovery, which is a change from previous years. Redding, whose rsum includes stops in Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, wants McCarthy to see results on the field, not on a chart posted in the weight room.

"I'm not about saying, 'Hey coach, we have nine guys who are power cleaning 500 pounds,' " Redding said. "That doesn't mean anything to me. What's important to me is that each player, if they participate in this deal, I want them to feel the same the first play of the first game as the last play of the last game."

McCarthy is typically giddy about his off-season program, which began Monday and runs for 14 weeks. He views it as the start of a new season and an opportunity to get better without adding new players. He's particularly excited about this off-season because of the addition of defensive coordinator Dom Capers and his staff, and the presence of Redding.

One of the reasons McCarthy fired former strength coach Rock Gullickson was that he didn't think the atmosphere in the weight room was conducive to maximum results. Gullickson was a stickler about some things he maybe didn't have to, but the major difference is going to be in personality.

"He's a Hall of Fame strength coach," McCarthy said of Redding. "He's been there from the beginning. He's been there forever. He's been through the different kinds of programs in the NFL and I've always thought his greatest strengths is his people skills, his ability to create a positive environment.

"Guys are going to come in there and bust their butt and also have fun with it. He's a natural motivator."

At the same time Redding is installing his program, Capers and his staff will begin the process of introducing the defensive schemes. The installation of the 3-4 defense will be a long process and Capers will go as slow as it takes to make sure everyone understands it.

But his work will take a backseat to Redding's until the team begins its organized team activities in May, which is another name for on-field instruction. Capers does not have height and weight parameters for the players in his defense, so his only requirement from Redding is that the players are available for practice.

"I'm not a big guy that you have to be this weight to play this position and that type of thing," Capers said. "I think you get to whatever you think is your best playing weight to enable you to play with the kind of strength, speed and quickness it's going to take."

Union rules dictate that players may spend a maximum of four days a week and no more than four hours a day at the facility during off-season workouts. Redding gets the players for the first two hours, and while he's not into heavy weight lifting, he is into pushing players to the point of exhaustion, similar to how it might be in a game.

Almost all of the lifts are with free weights and the emphasis is "triple extension, ground-based activity," which Redding describes as the closest thing to simulating football. Triple extension refers to the simultaneous movement of the ankle, knee and hip, which occurs in every sport but particularly so in football. Ground-based means using free weights with one or more feet on the ground to help build core muscles.

"This is not a bodybuilding program, it's not a power lifting program, this is a weight training program for football," Redding said. "We're going to use all those tools to be better football players. How often I go heavy and how much I allow them to do might be different than other philosophies. I'm not about having guys putting something on their back that's going to break their posture down."

Redding is very flexible in his approach. He plans to provide the players with a wide variety of movements that they can choose from so that they get to take some ownership in what they're doing.

Players will work in pairs to help motivate each other and if that doesn't work, Redding will go with his tried and true method of motivation, which is to remind them the more they're on the field the better chance they have of securing a better contract.

"There's a durability aspect and I think I've figured it out after all these years of training football players and playing the game myself," said Redding, who played college football at Nebraska. "It's not about how much you bench press; it's about how often you can play and play and be available and durable."

Flexibility drills and conditioning will be sandwiched around the weight room work. Once the players are done with Redding, they're free to visit with their position coaches or watch film.

Previously, the players got Friday off so that they could get out of town and enjoy a three-day weekend, but a key component of Redding's program is rest. He plans on shutting down the weight room on Wednesdays and weekends.

"If they do anything on Wednesdays, that's their problem," Redding said. "If you get out of bed on Wednesday, that's your fault, not mine.

"You have to put your body through recovery as much as you put it through the torture. What happens is your guys get over-trained. You feel like you've been talked into training every day. It's completely unnecessary.

"What they don't understand is your organs are working overtime to help those periphery muscles to recover. If you don't give it a chance to recover, your immune system gets involved and you see guys who have continuous pulls, they have tendinitis; we call them 'tub clubbers' because they're always in the training room because theyre hurting all the time because they over-trained.

Rest is mandatory, but so is total commitment.

Redding will know soon whether he has the players attention.

Interesting stuff. I am curious to see how the change in weight program will affect the team.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
When I read that article this morning, here is the first thing I thought of:

The offseason program is coming 

Matt Bowen said:

Plus, I have to confess that these NFL weight programs are average at best. Theyre designed to make you bigger and faster without getting you hurt. Therefore, they are scaled back, full of static machine exercises that do nothing to prepare you for Sundays. In my career, I would walk around the weight room with my own plan sent to me from Chris Doyle, my strength coach at the University of Iowa (the best in the business, in my opinion). If I was going to be there, then I was going to work. So I took Coach Doyles program and trained like a functional athlete.
It is basic to a fault in these weight programs.

I am NOT saying that is how things were/are in Green Bay. I'm just pointing out that if you read Matt Bowen's article from the 6th and then read today's article...well, it makes you think about it a bit, especially in the context of the comments made in today's article. Am I alone?
MassPackersFan
15 years ago
I don't know... the static machine exercise point is moot in the context of the 2009 Packers program:

Almost all of the lifts are with free weights and the emphasis is "triple extension, ground-based activity," which Redding describes as the closest thing to simulating football. Triple extension refers to the simultaneous movement of the ankle, knee and hip, which occurs in every sport but particularly so in football. Ground-based means using free weights with one or more feet on the ground to help build core muscles.

Weight programs in the NFL are pretty split about free weights vs. machines. I'm happy the last two conditioning coaches we've had stressed free weights more - strengthen those stabilizer muscles.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
This article got me fired up! I don't understand why most coaches don't get the point about recovery time. I'm glad our coach does. And yes, work the shit out of 'em so they are sucking wind when they get done. this is football. if it doesn't translate onto the field, what's the point? no popcorn muscles in Green Bay!
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
15 years ago
another NFBP on the wieght room 

Strength programs matter, folks. A couple of weeks back, I wrote a piece explaining why offseason programs in the NFL are, well, pretty lame and most of the time useless.

But that changes dramatically when you have a strength coach whos a motivator and who brings in a program that trains these men to be football players.....

What Redding Brings to the Weight Room

Functional movements.

Not enough teams in the league operate this way. Players are accustomed to doing heavy machine work or getting under a squat bar loaded with barbells. Most strength coaches in the league thinks this prevents injuries but it does just the opposite.

Redding will bring an attitude to the weight room, and although thats overlooked at this level, theres something to be said for a strength coach in the NFL who doesnt take no for answer and doesnt treat his big stars like they have a silver spoon in their mouths. He will be tough, he will be demanding, and he will tolerate nothing less than maximum effort if he wants to be successful.

And I think he will because these men playing now are looking for someone to push them and make them better.

The players will notice a difference. Gone will be the useless bulk, replaced by lean, explosive muscle. They will be able to play longer and a higher speed and that means making plays in the fourth quarter.

Too often, strength coaches believe size and bench press matters when it comes to playing this game, but its the players who can react and arrive at the point of contact with speed and force. Thats what wins in football, and Redding is bringing that to Green Bay

The End Result

Yes, I agree that you still need talent to win at this level, but the Packers have talent on both sides of the football. And they, like many other teams, have plenty of questions and some holes to fill before the season kicks off in September.

But this is a start in the right direction. The 3-4 defense is going to take time to understand, and there will be some growing pains during spring practices, but a guy like Aaron Kampmann who trains to win in the off-season will be that much faster in September. As will his defensive teammates, and the 3-4 defense relies on speed to work in the NFL. Ryan Grant will hit the hole faster and carry a bigger load in terms of carries. Offensive linemen can pull and be physical at the point of attack.

We sometimes forget that although these players are at the highest level in their profession, they can still get better. And the weight room in a good place to start.

If its done the right way.

Dave Redding is talking a good game, and from what Ive heard, hes respected in his profession. McCarthy has also given him the authority to run that weight room. Now, Redding just has to implement it.

Some players will probably be put off by a few of his demands at first, but all they have to do is look at that 6-10 record from last year and understand that the time is now to do everything to prevent that from happening again.

And speed could be a big feature of the Packers this fall.

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (13h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (18h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.