Megatron
15 years ago
hopefully this will help perk things up a bit.

Read more here... 

While there are still two more days of workouts, and very important ones for the Packers with the defensive linemen and linebackers going today, the media access is now closed. So I'm headed back home.

I now leave you with a few things picked up around the hallways, side streets, restaurants, bars and hotel lobbies of this fine state capital. Of course, all of my "research" was done to serve you, my loyal readers. It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it. Does anybody know if beer could be considered "purchased supplies" on my expense report? Actually, isn't that encouraged in Wisconsin? As Mike McCarthy would say -- "That was a joke."

* Add Penn State OLB Aaron Maybin to the list of the players the Packers interviewed.
* Agents of some of the top talents in this draft consider the Packers one of the most secretive teams when it comes to tipping off what they're going to do in the draft. Remember, A.J. Hawk had no idea the Packers liked him three years at No. 5.
* Heard this from a pretty good source that would know: The Packers were one of the teams that were very hot for QB Joe Flacco last year, so much so that they definitely would have taken him at No. 30 and might have traded into the 20-25 range. Flacco ended up going at 18 when the Ravens traded up to draft him. The two primary teams the Ravens were worried about taking Flacco ahead of them were the Packers and the New York Jets.
* Like every other team, the Packers have used the combine as a chance to lay the groundwork for free agency by meeting with several agents. But as far as I can tell, none are any of the "big" names. And there aren't many of those. Most on the Packers' radar are role players.
* The Packers were about the only team not to express an interest in the best 3-4 defensive end on the free-agent market, Chris Canty of the Dallas Cowboys. His destination should be known, at least to the particulars, but about Wednesday this week. And he's not the done deal to Bill Parcells and the Dolphins that everyone thinks -- far from it. He'll likely end up with a 4-3 team playing end on the first two downs, and then moving inside on pass-rush downs ala Cullen Jenkins.
* As for the other supposed top 3-4 end, Igor Olshansky of the Chargers, I'm told by more than a few people that there's a reason why the Chargers made no effort to keep him -- he's known to be lazy and people think he doesn't care about the right things. From what I heard, he is not "Packer people" so the team would be wise to avoid him.

jsonline.com wrote:

:icon_smile: I'm a little disappointed to hear about Igor Olshansky, if you look at him, you dont get that body through laziness.

Still lots of interesting talking points in there especially Flacco. It's well known that they were looking for a QB to back up Rodgers but instead he was taken before us and we traded down. I thought the original reason why we traded down was because we missed out on Antoine Cason. We took best player available in Jordy Nelson which i still think is a great pick. Seeing Brohm fall as far as he did and picking him up was still a prudent move in my eyes as far a QB depth was concerned.

I too hope the packers have taken Andre Smith off their board. He has massive character concerns that makes him far too much of a risk to spend a large proportion of the salary cap on. If we get a OT it's possible we could pick Jamon Meredith with our 2nd pick.

** edited the post to fall within the under 50% guideline and to add the accredited link. - Pack93z
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
The board's quietness could have a connection with the fact that no football is being played until august. Me, I'll stick around till the draft's over and then dissappear until late june.

I like Meredith too, because I find it unlikely any good OTs fall to us in the first. But, if we take Meredith with the second rounder, we should probably take Raji with the first pick, or if we feel comfortable with Pickett for now, Everette Brown, Orakpo or Maybin.

Why are we not interested in Canty. I feel our biggest need is a 3-4 DE. Who's gonna start opposite of Jenkins? IMO Jolly and Harrell are too big.
This is a placeholder
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Getting close to the Mock Marathon. As the combine wraps up and players are ranked new/updated ones will pop up for everybody to pick apart, and FA will add to the Mock Mayhem.

That should get us by for a few weeks.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Megatron
15 years ago
I dont think Harrell and Jolly are too big at all.

Harrell is 6ft 4 and should be weighing around 300lbs

Canty is 6ft 7 and weighs 300lbs

I think they should be big as we need them to take up blockers to free up space for the linebackers.

Even Olshansky is 6ft 6 and weighs 305lbs.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
I think Harrell was born to play 3-4 DE. The question mark is still going to be if he can stay healthy.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I'm not to sold on our current D-line either. I hoped we would get Olshansky... now I just hope they have some plans for Raji or something.

I also saw that we weren't looking for any big names. I have trust in TT, but I just hope he knows what he's doing, because the shape our O-line, D-line and LBs to a certain extent where in last year, we need some help. The way I'm seeing the draft now is that we're picking an OLB.

I liked the comment about Wynn. I hope he'll be back next year and shows what he can do, like he did in the last game of the 2008 season.
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Just because we don't know what he's doing doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. It says in the article that the Packers are as secretive as it gets. He's not going to come out and show his hand. He just won't do it.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Just because we don't know what he's doing doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. It says in the article that the Packers are as secretive as it gets. He's not going to come out and show his hand. He just won't do it.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, like I said, I totally trust him. He seems somewhat unknowing because of his secretivity(?) from time to time. That might just be me ofcourse.

He's come through quite well before this though, so I just hope that'll be the case again.
bozz_2006
15 years ago
who here has seen The Devil's Advocate?

Thompson's approach reminds me of Al Pacino in that movie. He's the devil and he has his fingers in everything. yet he takes on the characteristics of this mild mannered every-man "aw shucks" sort of dude, whom nobody would ever suspect such things. He does this on purpose. While everyone else is focused on the loud-mouths and look-at-me types of people, he is free to do what he pleases almost completely under the radar. Sound like anybody you know?
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
15 years ago

I dont think Harrell and Jolly are too big at all.

Harrell is 6ft 4 and should be weighing around 300lbs

Canty is 6ft 7 and weighs 300lbs

I think they should be big as we need them to take up blockers to free up space for the linebackers.

Even Olshansky is 6ft 6 and weighs 305lbs.

"Megatron" wrote:

I'm sorry, I meant Jolly is about 15 pounds too big (more like an NT or something) and Harrell can't seem to find his way out of the infirmary.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
dfosterf (39m) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (1h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (16h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (17h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (17h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.