PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

I'd like to know the stats for challenging the spot. It seems to me the refs never want to admit they spotted the ball in the wrong position. Everything else they might change but don't ever dare to challenge the spot.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

the official who makes the review isn't the same officials that typically make the spot of the ball call on the field. with the access to the video media has I would suspect the officials would hate more being shown to have not only made the wrong call, but not corrected it when they had the chance.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
I think with the ball spot challenges it is very hard unless the spot is very obviously wrong and the cameras clearly catch the ball contacting the ground. It was hard in our challenge as there was a forward progress issue and at best it was likely inches off not a yard or half-yard off. The camera positions also have a lot to do with it. If they have a good view of where the ball hits the ground, it is much different than when we have to try and imagine where the plane of the ball was when forward progress was stopped.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Winning fills up the glass in spite of anything else.

We got away with playing a fairly bad game against a fairly good team. The big glaring negative - more so this week even than before - was our O Line. Aaron Rodgers was constantly pressured, and our RBs had little or no place to run. The reason the Rams pass defense was so effective was that they were able to get that strong pass rush with just their D Line. Everybody else was able to drop back in coverage. That's on our O Line. Regarding the play calling, we still are wasting downs with running plays. When the O Line blocking is that bad, it is foolish to call so many running plays. It's not gonna set up or open up anything. It is just throwing away chances for Aaron to escape the rush and complete passes. All of the other "half empty" items were aberrations - nothing to worry a lot about. As was said, Rodgers (both of them) was due for a bad game. I was just starting to like R. Rodgers before this game, and I think he will snap back.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You do realize, this is probably the best front 4 in the league, right?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

You do realize, this is probably the best front 4 in the league, right?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah, I said something like that in the game thread a couple days before the game. How did the Packers O Line stack up against other Rams opponents, though, in terms of pass blocking and run blocking?

The Rams were supposed to have a vulnerable secondary; Why do you think they suddenly got good against us? Maybe because their front four did the job pass rushing against our O Line without blitzing - dropping those LBs into coverage?

I typed the above without checking into the Rams first four games. Now I have done that and pretty much confirmed that four other offenses - ALL with lesser QBs than Aaron Rodgers, most or all with lesser RBs than Lacy and Starks, all or most with lesser corps of receivers, but they outperformed our offense against the Rams. Tell me the O Line is not the difference.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Barfarn
8 years ago
Focused on Walker’s 2nd half play and he is no Lang [yet]; but was unbelievable for an UDFA/street FA that probably didn’t get one rep w/ starters this year and got called in to game cold w/o warning. I bet Indy wants him back now. He gave up no pressures and showed great quickness to thwart Donald’s pass rush, though Donald and Brockers did push him back a few times on run plays. Did not see him make any plays on the 2nd level; but he’d definitely got the feet to be effective there. He gave ground a few times on bullrushes; but anchored before any pressure. He also showed good awareness. It looked like he picked up all the correct blitzers; it looked like he picked up the right guy on stunts. On 2nd play of 3rd drive of 2nd half drive Walker help Linsley stop Brockers then showed good agility peeling back to help Bulaga.

At clubhouse live Walker said he never played Tackle before. He was told by Staff if he could play Tackle it'd enhance his opportunity for the 53. He stayed in GB in the off-season to work on his body and footwork. Juxtaposing this info against hi splay at tackle and we could be very happily surprised by this guy next year.

OG Reynolds cheap-shotted Raji. I cant see Fisher ordering a “hit,” wonder if Williams said something to Reynolds. Dirty bastards.

Luis, agree Rollins' 1st INT might have been “lucky.” But how many times do we see guys drop these wide open INTs. The second one was pure brilliant zone coverage. Rollins dropped into his zone and bumped and directed Bailey to the middle zone all the while keeping his eyes on Foles. Austin was open to Rollins left in front of Hayward. As Rollins watched Foles looking at Austin, Rollins slid over to his left and when Foles began to throw Rollins broke on the ball. The ball hit his outstretched hands and kinda started to squirt out; but with total poise he didn’t think of running first; he maintained 100% focus on grabbing the ball and twisting as he went down so as to land on his back w/ ball on his chest. 2nd year in football for this guy, he is going to be a gem.

PFF listed Palmer as one of the worst ILBs and credited him for running wrong way on Gurley’s long run, which I believe is WRONG! He didn’t run the wrong way, Palmer’s key was the FB and mirrored him perfectly and was assignment sure. It was Daniels crashing inside and Elliot rushing upfield that created the truck sized whole. Then a hold by Bailey of Hayward, who should have been more physical getting off it and a missed tackle by Hyde in open field.

Saw Thomas took a bad angle and hit Cunningham who broke tackle on the 3rd and 18 just before 60 yard FG miss. But the guy was a stud in coverage. When was the last time we saw a 3rd and 10 and WR catches the ball at 12 yards in the middle of the field w/ only heads and arms of Packers on the edge of the TV? Thomas is a baby Urlacher in deep middle coverage. And he has missed 2 tackles this year when he’s 10-12 yards deep and comes flying up after the ball is dumped to a back near LOS.

On “wasted” challenges: agreed there are circumstances that could warrant a bad challenge, especially if you have 2 in 4th Q. And challenges have become less valuable now that all scoring and turnover plays are automatic and all plays are reviewed in last 2 min. But, these Refs were HORRIBLE, EG, there was no excuse for missing the Janis touchback. And surely this is how this crew rolls unless they had a bad day; if you know the crew is bad ya cant afford to waste one in the 2Q.
musccy
8 years ago
I'm sort of sidetrack-ing this thread, but as barfarn was discussing walker, it dawned on me...where is Tretter?

Barclay took over for Bulaga and according to MM's presser had 1 snap in Lang relief. I thought they were using Tretter at T some, but apparently he's at least 8th on the depth chart of on-call OL...or he's solely a C backup?
steveishere
8 years ago

Yeah, I said something like that in the game thread a couple days before the game. How did the Packers O Line stack up against other Rams opponents, though, in terms of pass blocking and run blocking?

The Rams were supposed to have a vulnerable secondary; Why do you think they suddenly got good against us? Maybe because their front four did the job pass rushing against our O Line without blitzing - dropping those LBs into coverage?

I typed the above without checking into the Rams first four games. Now I have done that and pretty much confirmed that four other offenses - ALL with lesser QBs than Aaron Rodgers, most or all with lesser RBs than Lacy and Starks, all or most with lesser corps of receivers, but they outperformed our offense against the Rams. Tell me the O Line is not the difference.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Other teams may have lesser QBs but Rodgers played a pretty bad game to anyones standards not just his own. A lot of his passes were off all day long and not just ones where there was pressure. It wouldn't be crazy for a lesser QB to have had a better game than the one Rodgers just had. He's played games a lot better than that with much worse blocking before. He had an off game and there doesn't have to be an explanation or an excuse for it, it just happened. What makes him great isn't that he NEVER has games where he personally struggles it's that he has them far less often than anyone else. Blame everyone else all you want but this week was one of those games for him and the offense in general.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

I'm sort of sidetrack-ing this thread, but as barfarn was discussing walker, it dawned on me...where is Tretter?

Barclay took over for Bulaga and according to MM's presser had 1 snap in Lang relief. I thought they were using Tretter at T some, but apparently he's at least 8th on the depth chart of on-call OL...or he's solely a C backup?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

They don't list that deep on the teams depth chart, Barclay (RT,LT), Taylor (LG), Walker (RG), Tretter (C). but on the roster they list Tretter as C/G. No idea what they would do if they had to go two deep into the backups. My gut is they would move sitton or Lang outside as the 3rd option at either tackle spot.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

Other teams may have lesser QBs but Rodgers played a pretty bad game to anyones standards not just his own. A lot of his passes were off all day long and not just ones where there was pressure. It wouldn't be crazy for a lesser QB to have had a better game than the one Rodgers just had. He's played games a lot better than that with much worse blocking before. He had an off game and there doesn't have to be an explanation or an excuse for it, it just happened. What makes him great isn't that he NEVER has games where he personally struggles it's that he has them far less often than anyone else. Blame everyone else all you want but this week was one of those games for him and the offense in general.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

No doubt, Rodgers did have an off day. Normally, he gets rushed unmercifully and still performs at the highest level. Sunday he didn't. Lacy also had an off day, as did our receivers. I still say, though, it was the O Line with their usual miserable performance - this time against a tough D Line - that was the root of the badness in all the other areas. When you allow the front four to dominate like the Rams did, the LBs can plug all gaps on runs and drop into coverage on pass plays, and it screws up everything. That happens routinely against our O Line, and almost every time, Aaron Rodgers is good enough to make up for the O Line badness. As was said, Sunday he had an off day. The problem is the O Line which rises all the way up to mediocre when it has a good day.

On the other hand, we won by two TDs against a decent team, so no need to dwell on the empty half of the glass.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.