nerdmann
8 years ago

Free plays: How Aaron Rodgers and the Packers' offense make defenses pay

Continue Reading @ Rob Demovsky 

Rob Demovsky wrote:

Man this shit is AWESOME.

First of all, Aaron has deadly accuracy down the field. Giving him a free play is like conceding points.

Second, it slows down the pass rush, which helps both of our tackles. Frankly they're both weak, so they can use all the help they can get. If the D is trying to get a jump, BAM! Free play. If they hang back and wait for the snap, Aaron's running the play clock, reading their D and adjusting.

They study film to see if teams run or jog off the field between plays, guaranteed.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Yeah, this stuff is helpful, and it seems like the Packers exploit it better than anybody else. I just hope that come next off-season or even sooner if it is just a matter of policy and not rules, that they don't decide to change things. What would we all be saying if this was being done TO us instead of BY us? It ain't fair; The whistle should blow and stop the play. To be clear, that's not my position, but as ol' Bob McGinn would say, "others are saying ......"
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
Now that they have been so successful getting players to jump, they need to take advantage of that in other ways. As Defenses are ready for the hard count and concentrating on not jumping use the opportunity by snapping the ball instead and watch the Oline dominate opening holes for Lacy and Starks. Hit them with that a few times and they will be ready to be hard counted again.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Yeah, this stuff is helpful, and it seems like the Packers exploit it better than anybody else. I just hope that come next off-season or even sooner if it is just a matter of policy and not rules, that they don't decide to change things. What would we all be saying if this was being done TO us instead of BY us? It ain't fair; The whistle should blow and stop the play. To be clear, that's not my position, but as ol' Bob McGinn would say, "others are saying ......"

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

If the play doesn't get blown dead it is the defenders fault IMO. My HS coach told us, if you jump make sure you hit somebody. These guys jump and stop and backup where if they kept going and either had a free path to the QB or make contact with the Oline, the play would be flagged dead. Otherwise the play is not stopped.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
luigis
8 years ago
I have a strange concern about these free plays: Every single time we have a free play and Rodgers throws a long "risky" pass it is caught for a big gain. So I wonder why don't we throw those "risky" passes more often in non-free plays.

I know Aaron is allergic to ints but I wonder how many more yards would we get in average at the price of for a couple of ints.

Of course all this doesn't matter if the other team is pathetic as were the Chiefs (out of character) or Bears.

Luis
olds70supreme
8 years ago

I have a strange concern about these free plays: Every single time we have a free play and Rodgers throws a long "risky" pass it is caught for a big gain. So I wonder why don't we throw those "risky" passes more often in non-free plays.

I know Aaron is allergic to ints but I wonder how many more yards would we get in average at the price of for a couple of ints.

Of course all this doesn't matter if the other team is pathetic as were the Chiefs (out of character) or Bears

My take: The risky plays are more successful on these broken plays because the defense reacts slowly when the ball is snapped, maybe because they think the play is going to be whistled dead. This means the pass rush sucks giving Rodgers more time to look for opportunities, and more time that the opposing team DB's (who also may have reacted slowly) have to cover the receivers. Normal plays aren't like that, you could try to go deep all you want but the pass rush and dbs are going to be a lot better. Also, keep in mind that the penalty for going for it all during non-busted plays isn't just turnover (although that is bad), it is also the loss of down that even an incomplete pass will cost for the risky play.

All that being said, I'm not sure we don't already have a significant number of big plays, only some of which are attributed to the free plays.
blank
civic
8 years ago
Green Bay had another quarterback who was pretty good at getting free plays and taking shots down the field.
blank
DakotaT
8 years ago
Rodgers doesn't throw jump balls which is why he has a 4:1 interception ratio, the greatest in the history of NFL quarterbacking.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Rodgers doesn't throw jump balls which is why he has a 4:1 interception ratio, the greatest in the history of NFL quarterbacking.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

He knows James Jones is gonna come down with it. JJ hasn't been open on any of those TDs, as I recall.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

If the play doesn't get blown dead it is the defenders fault IMO. My HS coach told us, if you jump make sure you hit somebody. These guys jump and stop and backup where if they kept going and either had a free path to the QB or make contact with the Oline, the play would be flagged dead. Otherwise the play is not stopped.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

All True - I just hope they don't change the rules. They didn't used to blow it dead on false starts; It's not much of a stretch for the rules committee to do the same on the D jumping.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (2h) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (3h) : *signs
Martha Careful (5h) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (5h) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (6h) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (6h) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (6h) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Martha Careful (18h) : Bobby Wagner signs 1 year deal with Redskins
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : Thankfully he lets balls betweens his fingers.
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : But no worries, they still have Quinten Johnston!
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : I'm sure Justin Herbert is thrilled with that idea after the Chargers lost Austin Ekeler and Gerald Everett
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : That is true. I was thinking Allen would be the release, not Williams.
beast (13-Mar) : Seems like Williams is often injured and is coming off an ACL injury. Rumor had it Chargers were looking into trading their top 2 WRs
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : Chargers releasing WR Mike Williams. Whoa.
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : Trying to think of who would be a realistic cut possibility and surprising at the same time.
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : I fear a surprise cut coming today.
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : I'm still kind of shocked we got a top RB and top S. IN FREE AGENCY!!! So weird!! haha
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : lol Brian wanting Ted's guys gone. Umm, they were also Brian's guys ... kids these days.
Martha Careful (13-Mar) : Key point made by Nonstopdrivel . Loyalty does not trump winning
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : You realize Gute was a regional scout for over a decade and was director of college scouting for GB before he was GM?
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : Whatever you say Mucky.
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : *scouting process
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : *cut
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : And Gute isnt some outsider, he probably oversaw the accounting process of players that he later cur
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : Whether Ted or Gute drafted them is irrelevant to that
Mucky Tundra (13-Mar) : Uncle Buck, most guys from the 2017 roster are no longer here because their play declined due to age or were going to cost too much to keep
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : Time to drop it.
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : No issue, nobody's gonna change my mind, I'm not gonna change anyone else's mind .
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : Packers made low offer. Get your money where you can. What's the issue?
Zero2Cool (13-Mar) : Jones was right to leave.
Nonstopdrivel (13-Mar) : This is a business. Why the freak do we care about loyalty? The point is to WIN, not hang on to aging players.
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : In other news The Packers just lost Simone Biles to The Bears.
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : Be a good soldier , take a pay cut, or get the hell out.
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : Funny how "team loyalty" only works one way in Green Bay.
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : Are still there? The Packers screwed Aaron Jones because he decided he wasn't going to take another paycut.
buckeyepackfan (13-Mar) : Hey Mucky how many guys that were on the roster in 2017
CanPackFan (13-Mar) : I'm pretty sure Jones felt like he was being low balled and stopped negotiations vs continuing. GB would have met that Minny offer
beast (12-Mar) : Jones is everyone's guy
Martha Careful (12-Mar) : You tell em Mucky!!!
Mucky Tundra (12-Mar) : So the idea that Gute axed Jones because he wasnt one of "his guys" is just silly
Mucky Tundra (12-Mar) : He also spent lavishly on big FA in 2019, again guys who weren't picked by him and again moved on from them after a time
Mucky Tundra (12-Mar) : Here's some facts: gute gave out pricey extensions to guys picked by Ted and moved on from them when they got old/injuries became a detrimen
Mucky Tundra (12-Mar) : Facts? Stretch before you reach.
buckeyepackfan (12-Mar) : Just stating the facts Mucky,
buckeyepackfan (12-Mar) : Check an article posted by Martha, in the Jones thread. That's where I got the quote.
Mucky Tundra (12-Mar) : Gute got rid of Jones because he didnt draft him? Lol I think nerd hacked Buckeyes account
Zero2Cool (12-Mar) : He was asked if he expects Jones in 2024. Context matters.
Zero2Cool (12-Mar) : He didn't say it though. God damn this is why i hate the slander BS.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Random Babble / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.