Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
An opinion and some comments you don't hear much about Jennings.. While I disagree with the notion that he isn't special, I don't think he is in the Fitzgerald's neighborhood in terms on contract dollars.

People seem to forget that most receivers don't blossom right out of the gate.. Jennings as been money from day one.. and IMO, only getting better. Scratching the surface of what he can do.. IMO.

Interesting read though

Read More...  

These negotations arent going to be easy, said a person familiar with the situation. [General manager] Ted Thompson really likes Jennings, but he doesn't believe in giving huge money to a wide receiver."

That last sentiment is consistent with what we were told on the day that the Packers hired Thompson. Heres what we wrote in an article from January 2005: Green Bay's new GM puts a high premium on quarterbacks, offensive tackles, defensive linemen and cornerbacks. He puts far less value on receivers, interior offensive linemen and safeties. Nothing that Thompson has done since taking over would contradict that statement. He opened up his wallet to keep Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Kampman and sign free agent Charles Woodson. He has yet to make a sizable investment in a receiver, an interior offensive lineman or a safety. Thats what makes the upcoming negotiations with Jennings - not to mention Nick Collins - so intriguing.

One comment will wrinkle a couple of peoples undies...

Is Jennings worth that type of deal? Hes very good, but hes not special, opined a former scout. Defensive coordinators respect but dont fear him. Look, Id love to have him on my team, but I wouldn't be willing to throw my entire salary structure out of whack to make it happen.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I'm guessing Thompson will re-sign Jennings, but look for him to have to work for the money: a sizable chunk of change up front with a lot of incentives. I doubt Thompson will want to commit a fortune to a player whose entire career could so easily be ended by one play (Javon Walker, anyone?).
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
Ok well this could be an answer to one of the old questions, Why didn't we sign Randy Moss? As far as your comments NON you know i respect your views but you bring up the one play and boom the career is over aka Walker but whats the difference between that and say Rodgers getting the big bucks and he gets hit alot more. Every player is in jeopardy when it comes to injury. So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?

Good find btw Z we have alot of unknowns coming up and to be honest Ted Thompson scares me.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

Ok well this could be an answer to one of the old questions, Why didn't we sign Randy Moss? As far as your comments NON you know i respect your views but you bring up the one play and boom the career is over aka Walker but whats the difference between that and say Rodgers getting the big bucks and he gets hit alot more. Every player is in jeopardy when it comes to injury. So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?

"dhazer" wrote:

I would be pissed. Jennings is the anti-JWalk with leadership skills and a rapport with AR.

I don't really like you comparing injuries at the QB position and WRs. WRs get injured way more often and have career ending injuries way more often. Think about it.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I thought of that myself, actually. Intuitively, however, I'd guess that if you calculated the mathematical odds of a career-ending injury shortly after signing a big contract for a quarterback versus a wide receiver, they're much lower for the quarterback. (How many quarterbacks do you see playing for 15 years compared to wide receivers?) I would be curious to see numbers backing this up or disproving it, but I wouldn't know how to go about finding them.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
easy or not, thompson will extend his contract. in my opinion, let greg walk will cause more fan unrest than trading favre.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

easy or not, thompson will extend his contract. in my opinion, let greg walk will cause more fan unrest than trading favre.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

True. I wouldn't like it one bit.
The Pack Will Be Back.
dhazer
15 years ago
I understand what you guys are saying but all in all it just takes one hit and the careers can change fast. Look at Carson Palmer, or even Tom Brady noone knows if they will ever be back to the good qbs they once were. It would be interesting to see if anyone could find out some of those stats. To be totally honest all the careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter in the nfl.

So there you go Wils you don't like me stating that well find the facts and show me the difference, Remember how many qbs have played since Brett started he throws the numbers out of wack along with manning. But yet you have guys like Owens and Bruce and they have played alot of years.

So good luck on finding some stats, BUTAFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE IT JUST TAKES ONE HIT FOR ANY PLAYER AND HIS CAREER COULD BE OVER.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
i don't think anyone's arguing with the statement that it only takes one hit, dhazer.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

I understand what you guys are saying but all in all it just takes one hit and the careers can change fast. Look at Carson Palmer, or even Tom Brady noone knows if they will ever be back to the good qbs they once were. It would be interesting to see if anyone could find out some of those stats. To be totally honest all the careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter in the nfl.

So there you go Wils you don't like me stating that well find the facts and show me the difference, Remember how many qbs have played since Brett started he throws the numbers out of wack along with manning. But yet you have guys like Owens and Bruce and they have played alot of years.

So good luck on finding some stats, BUTAFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE IT JUST TAKES ONE HIT FOR ANY PLAYER AND HIS CAREER COULD BE OVER.

"dhazer" wrote:

Of course all it takes is one hit. WR get hit on their lower extremeties/plus tackled harder much more than QBs do. They also run full speed almost every play.

The reason why Aaron Rodgers got paid so much is because the QB position is hard to fill with a franchise player. The QB position is also much more important than the WR position in terms of team success.

I really don't see how you can say QBs have a higher percentage of career ending injuries. I don't think it to be true and I wish I could find some statistics on it.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.