DakotaT
9 years ago

WHile thoroughly highjacking this thread to FA discussion, it is important to me to remember that activity is not progress. Signing FA does not mean improvement.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Sometimes these threads can't even make a whole page of discussion because of their content. ex. Peppers has been a bargain - "No shit Sherlock, moving on!" Just sayin!

Maybe we should make a rule that when a thread exhausts itself - it goes into a recycle bin?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Sometimes these threads can't even make a whole page of discussion because of their content. ex. Peppers has been a bargain - "No sh*t Sherlock, moving on!" Just sayin!

Maybe we should make a rule that when a thread exhausts itself - it goes into a recycle bin?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Nice idea, although, I am not one for rules.

Thing with Julius Peppers is that players like him do not come around every year. And even IF they did, that does not mean they will be a proper fit for the scheme and salary cap. The Packers are unique in that they do not have a single billion dollar deep pocketed owner who can bail out the team if they make a foolish (Jairus Byrd) free agent signing.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
It is a mistake to believe that one opinion is a fair representation of the whole. If your not happy with a thread , then find another to post to, or start a new thread. Don't get mad though if the new thread is not popular.

Mr. J. Peppers is like many players that are over 30 and are still showing the young bucks how it's done. Peppers recent TD , IMO, will not be the only deed this season worthy of being posted and boasted. This thread will see many more post this season . =d>
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago

Nice idea, although, I am not one for rules.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

[-x 😣 [suicide]
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago

It is a mistake to believe that one opinion is a fair representation of the whole. If your not happy with a thread , then find another to post to, or start a new thread. Don't get mad though if the new thread is not popular.

Mr. J. Peppers is like many players that are over 30 and are still showing the young bucks how it's done. Peppers recent TD , IMO, will not be the only deed this season worthy of being posted and boasted. This thread will see many more post this season . =d>

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Tangents are a good thing. It means a person is capable of many levels of thinking. Texas and I are the worst tangent creators in this whole forum and we revert most things back to unfinished arguments. We are stubborn, self centered assholes. Hope you can handle the show.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I agree. For an example - Ted passed on all the safeties in FA and drafted Haha. While Haha has been pretty good - if he had turned out to be a bum, everyone would be screaming for Ted's head on a platter for not picking up a FA[palm]

Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Far too much of an oversimplification of the issue.

There is not a single FA that I want Uncle Teddy to sign. While some wanted Uncle Teddy to pick up Steven Jackson (originally via trade later as a FA) I didn't think he was necessarily the answer. By not going the Jackson route allowed GB to pick up Lacy. I would take that exchange every single day. But going back the prior years Uncle Teddy did a very poor job filling the RB hole. Yes he did draft Alex Green in the 3rd round in 2011. I don't know much about college players but it looked like a horrible pick. One of the big problems with his draft selections is he tends to grab players long before they should be taken and then when they flame out it leaves the holes that he needs to fill with FAs and doesn't do so.

Most of those who are looking for more FAs are not even asking for one FA every year. It doesn't take much to fill in the gaps for the team.

So signing outside players to fill gaps is good, but resigning current players to avoid weaknesses developing is not?

If Packers had signed Byrd to address safety, but allowed Shields to walk... That would have been good Free Agent work on Ted's behalf? Our team would have been better?

Not sure I agree.

That is the problem with the your argument. When fans say we would like to see Uncle Teddy pick up a few FAs we don't mean 3rd or 4th level FAs. He has done that a lot and it is a waste of time. We would like to see QUALITY players brought in. It would be nice if they were high level players but they are very expensive so we don't expect this to happen ever. Uncle Teddy is smart enough to work a player or two into his budget. He simply does not want to.

From time to time he can pick up key contributors and strong backups but he avoids them as much as he does the high priced players.

The other thing to consider is Uncle Teddy is an above average GM. (At least most Packer fans think so.) We expect more from him than what lesser GM will do. There are gaps on this team and we look to him to fill them.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago

So signing outside players to fill gaps is good, but resigning current players to avoid weaknesses developing is not?

If Packers had signed Byrd to address safety, but allowed Shields to walk... That would have been good Free Agent work on Ted's behalf? Our team would have been better?

Not sure I agree.

Where did I say resigning a teams own free agents is not good? It's essential, and it's a philosophy I believe in. It's necessary to maintain a team's core players. But unless a team is drafting very well each year, there are going to be some substantial gaps in the roster at times. The Packers have had and continue to have several. That's where a proven free agent talent can be valuable. Of course I don't mean signing a free agent just to sign one. But the right one can improve a team. I appreciate a conservative approach to free agency, absolutely. But I do think there have been a few opportunities that could have helped the Packers over the past four or five years that weren't made. I can't prove that. It can't be proved either way. But just like Julius Peppers has helped the Packers this season, I think a few other players in the past could have. Even if it meant slightly "overpaying." Not drastically, but enough to improve a team that's on the edge of contention. Perhaps the Packers consistently try everything they can via free agency, but that's a little hard for me to believe.

A proven outside free agent doesn't have to be an absolute superstar to substantially help the team. One never knows how far a little can take a team, especially in the playoffs with the Packers offense.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Where did I say resigning a teams own free agents is not good? It's essential, and it's a philosophy I believe in. It's necessary to maintain a team's core players. But unless a team is drafting very well each year, there are going to be some substantial gaps in the roster at times. The Packers have had and continue to have several. That's where a proven free agent talent can be valuable. Of course I don't mean signing a free agent just to sign one. But the right one can improve a team. I appreciate a conservative approach to free agency, absolutely. But I do think there have been a few opportunities that could have helped the Packers over the past four or five years that weren't made. I can't prove that. It can't be proved either way. But just like Julius Peppers has helped the Packers this season, I think a few other players in the past could have. Even if it meant slightly "overpaying." Not drastically, but enough to improve a team that's on the edge of contention. Perhaps the Packers consistently try everything they can via free agency, but that's a little hard for me to believe.

A proven outside free agent doesn't have to be an absolute superstar to substantially help the team. One never knows how far a little can take a team, especially in the playoffs with the Packers offense.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

My apology. Among those that urge FA signings, they typically only focus on successful signings and tend to forget signing our own FA and the ones that fail.

In 2011 and 2013, minimal activity in FA. But many fans were clamoring for signings such as Stephen Jackson. Guess we know more than TT! That's working well for Atlanta.

In 2012, Ted Thompson signed Daniel Muir, Jeff Saturday, Anthony Hargrove, and Cedric Benson. Muir and Hargrove didn't make it out of camp. The other 2 played, but were ineffective/ hurt and didn't provide much impact. It could easily be argued that these 4 are typical of FA's available. Old and broken.

In 2014, Ted Thompson signed several. Peppers is the big name, but Guion also. Before anyone knocks Guion, remember he was signed to be the backup. If Ted Thompson knew Raji was going to the IR... But where might we be without Guion? Also Ted Thompson signed the starting CB and NT; Shields and Raji. Many fans don't count these.

3 years ago, Ted Thompson failed to sign Scott Wells. Many were upset, thinking how could he do that? Well, Wells has not played a full season since. So maybe he had an idea after all.

I tend to try to focus on the big picture. What team, other than the Patriots has a better record in the last 5 or 6 years? You mention that the Packers have had several substantial gaps in talent. I agree. So what team has been without gaps? In 2010, the season we won the Super Bowl, Seattle was 7-9 and the 49ers 6-10. Broncos were 4-12. Yes, they have all improved. All we did was maintain our status as a Playoff team. That's pretty good.

Could Ted Thompson have done more? Absolutely. Warren Buffett could be richer. Kate Upton could be prettier. Michael Jordan could have been more competitive. There is no end to the possibilities.

dfosterf
9 years ago
The Packers have been injury-riddled the last few years. I've been told that this is not an excuse for an NFL team. My simple response is, "My ass it isn't an excuse, the injured man is not there, why is that not an excuse?" - or some such.

I want to review our injuries. We HAVE to be the most injured team in the NFL, SUBSEQUENT to firing our team trainer for the year he was "responsible" - in some way- for us being the most injury riddled team in the NFL- several years ago. Is that not a topic for discussion?

I do like to whine about these matters, an admission. 😳
Smokey
9 years ago
UserPostedImage

It's not photoshop, Mr. Peppers is really that big ! \:d/

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (19h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.