nerdmann
9 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- No one had to tell the Green Bay Packers where their run defense was ranked after Sunday's win over the Chicago Bears.

"I'm aware what the numbers are," coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. "Nobody likes it."

The Packers' run defense went from bad (27th in the league) before Sunday to the worst.

After giving up 235 yards rushing -- the third-highest total since Dom Capers took over as defensive coordinator in 2009 -- the Packers found themselves dead last in the league, allowing an inexcusable 176.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

Oh yes, one more thing:

Lest you thought the Bears were a rushing juggernaut, you should know this: Before Sunday, they ranked 32nd in the league in rushing yards per game.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
9 years ago
Well, it doesn't get any uglier than that.
Or can it?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
Dom is true to form. He comes in and makes adjustments and the team responds then little by little they fall flat over the next few years.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago
Dom builds defense based on creating chaos.. simply put, we lack players that can create chaos within the scheme; holding true to the scheme.

Clay is playing with his hair on fire, but is way to quick to give up the edge. Mark it down, if Bridgewater is healthy, they are going to expose that edge a couple times Thursday night.

Peppers is becoming a guy that can make plays and stay disciplined in the scheme. Daniels flashes but at times gets washed out on a combo block. HaHa is showing a nose to make a play in the secondary.. I think Hyde and HaHa would be the best combo back there. Lattimore made a downhill play Sunday.. something sorely lacking to date from our backers.

So there is hope, but I still think Pennel or Boyd better develop quickly at nose; because we are getting pounded inside. We need a true ass kicker in there.. I think the rest of the line actually has promise if we can hold the point with any consistency.

I would talk about the interior backers.. but without the front at least being competitive in combo blocks, it matters little.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
9 years ago

Dom builds defense based on creating chaos.. simply put, we lack players that can create chaos within the scheme; holding true to the scheme.

Clay is playing with his hair on fire, but is way to quick to give up the edge. Mark it down, if Bridgewater is healthy, they are going to expose that edge a couple times Thursday night.

Peppers is becoming a guy that can make plays and stay disciplined in the scheme. Daniels flashes but at times gets washed out on a combo block. HaHa is showing a nose to make a play in the secondary.. I think Hyde and HaHa would be the best combo back there. Lattimore made a downhill play Sunday.. something sorely lacking to date from our backers.

So there is hope, but I still think Pennel or Boyd better develop quickly at nose; because we are getting pounded inside. We need a true ass kicker in there.. I think the rest of the line actually has promise if we can hold the point with any consistency.

I would talk about the interior backers.. but without the front at least being competitive in combo blocks, it matters little.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I think our ends can get it done. Datone is coming on and Daniels and Boyd are players. It's up the middle where the problem is. Get Pennell some reps, let's see if he can get it together by playoff time.

It's clear Ted's not gonna bring anyone in.

Our LBs will look much better if we've got DL up front who can eat up blockers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
9 years ago
With the Packers Defence playing the run as they have been. It is, and will be no secret that, the Vikings will be running the football right through the middle of the Packers Defence. And they will keep running there until they are stopped. I'm not so sure that the Packers will be able to stop them. They will chew up the clock with long sustained drives and at the same time keep Rodgers and Co. off the field. All the booing from the stands will not inspire the Packers Defence to stop a running attack that was built to support Adrian Peterson. The Vikings O-line is going to push the Packers D-line around like they were college boys.

Now, I don't hear Uncle 🇹🇹 Teddy rushing to plug the hole in the Dam. Yet we praise him for his omnipotent skill in building this team. I have not come to praise TT, but to turn the spotlight on him. This team is in trouble and he just collects his paycheck ! While his mouthpiece,"Vic Ketchman" spews out the comforting propaganda. Coach McCarthy and his staff are caught in the middle ! They can only try to do the best with what have to work with.

There is a short poem that truly fits , and it goes like this:

We the willing
Lead by the unknowing
are doing the impossible
for the ungrateful
We have done so long
with so little
we are now qualified to do anything
with nothing.

[tt] get off your a$$ and do your job !!!
[hijack]
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago

Oh yes, one more thing:

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Not sure that means too much. Our run defense hasn't been good but Chicago will probably still end up one of the top running teams by the end of the year. They have a solid run blocking line and a top 5 RB. The 3 teams they faced before us are the top 3 run defenses in the NFL currently and Chicago was playing from behind in 2 of those games.

It was so stupid to not practice the new defenses at all in preseason. Now we are changing personnel and schemes and whatnot on a weekly basis because Dom never bothered to figure out who fits where in the offseason. I haven't seen any breakdowns or anything by scheme but it seems like our 4-3 defensive sets where Clay plays SLB have been pretty good against the run. We seemed to play a lot more nickle against Chicago and it hurt against the run.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.