Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
As you all know, I'm one of those fat slob types. (Oh, to be more PC, so I could say "weight challenged" with a straight face. 🤦 )

But, anyway, I'm starting to consider some radical options re: losing weight, namely expensive prescription meds (I'm told up to $100/week) and even stomach surgery. I'm starting to think there may be no choice -- the diabetes (still under control, but its there like the sword of Damocles) and increasingly worried about the state of my heart (doc says is in good shape, but the far-too-easily-winded and always-wanting-to-sleep), and given the plateau weight-wise I've now been on for close to 18-months (I've kept the 25-30 pounds that I lost before that off, but I can't seem to get myself beyond that, and I still need to lose at least another 100, and probably at least another 125). Not even Foster's "chart in the bathroom" approach seems to work to get my ass in gear (and gone).

We all know Rex Ryan had one type of surgery (though I'm not sure which), but my question is this....do any of you or friends/relatives of yours have any experience/insight on these radical options. Putting both positive hype and doom-and-gloom aside, what is the state of the medical art, the quantity of the risks, etc, etc.?

Of course it's all moot in my case if the insurance won't pay for it -- no way I could foot the bill for either "elective" approach; I ain't got an NFL coach's salary, or his health plan -- so if you have any insight into getting that to happen should I decide to go down one of the extreme routes, I'd appreciate that, too.

Thanks.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
I would recommend the Insanity workout and follow a healthy diet. If you drink soda, gradually eliminate it. And even if you can't do the full Insanity workout, you will get slimmer and you will feel better.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
My SIL was looking at the stomach shrink thingie. Her ins co would pay for it (and she works for a health ins co.) so she didn't do it. From what my wife was telling me they don't simply do the surgery there are steps before that including some kind of a Psych eval. A cousin of mine, her ex did it and lost a lot of weight there are a lot of risks.

My wife was told to go on one of he pill pushing diets by her doc only to find out a couple of years later that the meds were recalled and lawsuits came flying out of the woodwork.

My secretary's BIL went on a juicing diet and lost a lot of weight. I do some juicing but not exclusively. I like of like shredding carrots and celery and stuff at the end of the work day.

I have talked to a few dr over the years including my brother who is a cardiologist. The best way is diet and exercise. Everything else is a crutch at best and potentially dangerous. My own personal physician once told me just try and lose 1 pound a week. It is realistic. It doesn't stress the body and after a year that is 50 pounds. (He gave me Christmas and and other week of my choosing off.)

Lots of water. Along with diet and exercise. Tons of water. I got a liter glass and fill it up 5 times a day. When I am consistent, I lose weight. When I get busy and forget I don't.

I am not as motivated as I can be. So I will lose a couple of pounds 1 week and then add one of them back on the following week. Something that worked real well for me a few years ago was an online weight program I did. I post on another board for U of Illinois. Some guy said he was going to post his weight eery week and invited others to do so as well. A lot of people were willing to offer him advise but no one else was putting their weight down. I did. I lost about 35 pounds in less than a year. Holidays bit me in the butt and after a little over a year he stopped posting so I did too. I was pretty pleased with where I was. I thought I would be able to maintain at that place and I didn't. I gained it all back and a little extra too.

It was amazing that I was so motivated by people I never met and putting the gain or loss on the board. I didn't really care what their opinion was. I wouldn't know them if I saw them walking down the street.

The measures you are talking about have to be last resort. Have you really tried "everything" else? I got a wedding next summer so if you want to try the posting your weekly results here I am willing to do so too.

Weekends were the hardest for me so I chose Monday morning for my reporting day. My wife was in weight watchers at the time so I kind of followed their plan. Mainly I was just trying to be aware of what I was eating. Many times I wold get up and leave the house after dinner so I wouldn't be tempted to sit in front of the tv and eat. I also found out if I am chewing gum I was less likely to want to eat.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
How goes it Wade? Make any decisions yet?
UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
Hello Wade,
Sorry to read about your challenge. I hope you will win your battle.

If I may just suggest a few things.

First: Do you adhere to a schedule, exercise is very important. Perhaps an early morning and an afternoon walk. Start slow, what you can do, then slowly increase by 5 minute intervals. Even just up to the corner and back is helpful.

Second: Lay off the Bread, Pasta, Potatoes, etc. Eat more salads with low cal dressings. No add ons in the salad either !

Third: Avoid fried foods whenever possible. Bake or Broil Chicken/Fish , tasty and better for you.

Forth: Lay off the Chips, Dips, Crackers, and Sodas. Drink water, squeeze fresh Lemon in your water to add taste.
Snack on carrot sticks or celery or an apple or an orange.

Fifth: No more Sugar ! There is enough in our daily intake .

Sixth: Take care of yourself and that Diabetes. Follow all of your Doctors orders .

Most folks seek help, and expect the usual good wishes, best of luck. I wanted to offer some real heart felt advice, not just a best wishes. I understand better than many, I've always been a size L/XL myself. I try to follow my own advice, when my bad knees will allow. I like the great food as well, but restrict myself as much as possible.

Keep Fighting !
UserPostedImage
Smokey
9 years ago
.... Go Wade Go !!...
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
9 years ago
Wade.....before my heart surgery, I was WAY over weight. I'm 5'8" tall and was up as high as 240lbs. After the surgery, I MADE myself walk every day. It was VERY hard to get started, and I still don't "enjoy" it. But the thought of having to go through open heart again has made me keep at it anyway. Getting hit by the car last year screwed me up big time, but I've been trying to walk anyway. I'm about 185lbs now, and trying to keep it below 190.
I also am diabetic, and after surgery my blood sugar was real bad. I got it under somewhat control with the exercise and watching what I eat. Mostly portion size. Quit eating when I'm full.

Something that has helped me too is still eating the "goodies" I like, but not pigging out on them. I found out that if you completely cut out all the foods you enjoy, you are most likely to give up and end up back on the same old bad eating habits.
Try walking every day. I KNOW it's hard, but you will build up stamina and will be surprised how much easier it gets if you keep at it. Walk a block the first day, then increase the distance each day. I had my surgery in February of 2009 and it was too cold to walk outside. So my wife would take me to Target, and I would walk around the store. When the workers there asked me if I was looking for something, I told them my situation, and they kind of cheered me on and looked out for me.

I now walk about 2 miles each day, at about 3 to 4 miles per hour.
I just passed my heart stress test too.
I hope this might help you to beat this weight thing. I know it's not easy.
If you need any support or have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to help any way I can!!!!
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
I've know people who have done the gastric bypass, and it has really worked well. But the key to that is the lifestyle changes that go along with the whole process. If you are comitted and willing to make those changes, then the surgery might not be necessary. The surgery is really the last resort in this whole process.

But losing weight, especially as we grow older, is very difficult. Metabolism has slowed down, and the exercise thing only gets more difficult. I work labor intensive jobs and don't have the ambition for the exercise anymore. That might be different for you. A lot to weigh in, but I think your first step would be to talk to a nutritionist - and then a personal trainer and see what you can do on your own first.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
A follow up to your note about walking Cheesey-

My brother is a cardiologist. He was telling me a year or so ago that if people walk for 45 min every day they will have a significant reduction in heart disease. Even if it is broke up into 2 or 3 walks a day.

Sadly he IS my younger brother. I was already doing more than what he was telling me so I didn't listen to all the details. Since then I have slowed down. I take my dog for a walk and he has arthritis and I am reluctant to take him that far.

If anyone wants me to get more details on statistics I will be glad to get more from him. His area of emphasis is prevention so is comes out like a fire hose with facts and data some times.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (2h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.