Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

Or because part of that 5 is DL in the Packers mind... such as Peppers and Neal who have basically been DL their whole careers and still used mostly as DL types going forwards. Same for Matthews other than not playing DL.

Originally Posted by: beast 

The poor play excuse line closed hours ago. This one is for reality focused guys that took off their rose colored glasses some time ago. 🇹🇹 The buck stops at that guy .
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago
To anyone who saw the Detroit vs Green Bay game it is obvious that the O/D-lines were not getting the job done. We all know that 🇹🇹 recruited these players, yet he only seems to get credit when something goes right. When it goes wrong, we blame the coaches or the trainers or anyone else but 🇹🇹 . So let's blame the football, it takes funny bounces and people are always trying to take it away. Yah, that's the ticket !
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
What was wrong with the defensive line? Detroit ended up with a lower rushing average than we did and their only good run was to the outside. They were stout against the Jets too.
Smokey
  • Smokey
9 years ago

What was wrong with the defensive line? Detroit ended up with a lower rushing average than we did and their only good run was to the outside. They were stout against the Jets too.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Numbers don't lie, but will they be playing the 2-5 defence the remainder of the season due to the lack of qualified players ? Without B.J.Raji , there are no "qualified" Nose Tackles. [duh]
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

Numbers don't lie, but will they be playing the 2-5 defence the remainder of the season due to the lack of qualified players ? Without B.J.Raji , there are no "qualified" Nose Tackles. [duh]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

You've brought up the D-Line play in just about every thread on this page the past 18 hours, but again, please explain how they were the cause of this loss.

I was complaining as much as anyone in the preseason about this line, specifically the NT, but I'll admit that through 3 games I was wrong. This team has had a pass rush, the hybrid LB/DEs like Peppers, Neal, and Matthews have been playing pretty well. The Lions averaged 3 yards per rush yesterday. I think they gave up 3 runs all day that were over 6 yards, only 1 over 10...what's so bad about that?

beast
9 years ago

The poor play excuse line closed hours ago. This one is for reality focused guys that took off their rose colored glasses some time ago.

Ummm, if you read what you have wrote... your the one using the poor play DL excuse here... you're using the poor play DL to reason why they ran the 2-5 scheme... instead of one with more DL in it.

And then you claim your own excuse line closed hours ago...

Numbers don't lie, but will they be playing the 2-5 defence the remainder of the season due to the lack of qualified players ?

Numbers don't lie... but they can mislead. And you claimed

Today I saw the Defence playing 2-5 because of lack of quality D-linemen.

You assuming they're running the 2-5 scheme because lack of quality D-linemen... I believe that assumption is wrong because the Packers coaches seemed to plan the faster/quicker/more attacking style of defense all offseason and going to the 4-3 scheme seems to be their plan of attack of how to get it done. And yes I said 4-3, not 2-5.

It's like the 2-4 in years past... coaches/fans call it a 2-4, but other teams players and coaches including Cutler openly called it a 4-2 instead. It's the same thing... you're calling it a 2-5 when really it's a 4-3. Peppers and Neal have been playing DL almost their whole careers... they're basically DL even if they have the OLB labels.

And if you notice when they plan on running the 4-3 more they bench their 5th DT (Pennel) which I think can be common in 4-3 and is pretty rare in 3-4 schemes.

So the problem here seems to be more you're lack of understanding it's a 4-3 and they're not playing it like you assume a 3-4 would be played (because it's not a 3-4)

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

You've brought up the D-Line play in just about every thread on this page the past 18 hours, but again, please explain how they were the cause of this loss.

I was complaining as much as anyone in the preseason about this line, specifically the NT, but I'll admit that through 3 games I was wrong. This team has had a pass rush, the hybrid LB/DEs like Peppers, Neal, and Matthews have been playing pretty well. The Lions averaged 3 yards per rush yesterday. I think they gave up 3 runs all day that were over 6 yards, only 1 over 10...what's so bad about that?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Agreed, I was talking shit about the "smaller, quicker" philosophy myself. The defense won this game for us. The offense pissed it away. Again.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

You assuming they're running the 2-5 scheme because lack of quality D-linemen... I believe that assumption is wrong because the Packers coaches seemed to plan the faster/quicker/more attacking style of defense all offseason and going to the 4-3 scheme seems to be their plan of attack of how to get it done. And yes I said 4-3, not 2-5.

It's like the 2-4 in years past... coaches/fans call it a 2-4, but other teams players and coaches including Cutler openly called it a 4-2 instead. It's the same thing... you're calling it a 2-5 when really it's a 4-3. Peppers and Neal have been playing DL almost their whole careers... they're basically DL even if they have the OLB labels.

And if you notice when they plan on running the 4-3 more they bench their 5th DT (Pennel) which I think can be common in 4-3 and is pretty rare in 3-4 schemes.

So the problem here seems to be more you're lack of understanding it's a 4-3 and they're not playing it like you assume a 3-4 would be played (because it's not a 3-4)

Originally Posted by: beast 

I don't care what they call it. 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, psycho, goal line, or Marybeth. Whatever it is, it ain't working so good. Yes they may not have given up a ton of yards or points but they were out there for 38 + minutes. They gave up 4.8 yards per play. That includes incomplete passes. They allowed a 3rd down conversion rate of 61%. None of that is acceptable.

UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago

I don't care what they call it. 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, psycho, goal line, or Marybeth. Whatever it is, it ain't working so good. Yes they may not have given up a ton of yards or points but they were out there for 38 + minutes. They gave up 4.8 yards per play. That includes incomplete passes. They allowed a 3rd down conversion rate of 61%. None of that is acceptable.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't think anyone is saying the defense is w/o fault. As I said in another thread, it was still very aggravating seeing yet another team run out the clock in the 4th Q vs. the Packers D.

That said, the D's play was in no way the weakest link yesterday, nor did their performance prevent the team from winning. 52 yards of Detroit passing came as a result of a Mike McCarthy timeout in the 1st half. The Packers offense managed an anemic 14 first downs, only 12 excluding penalty-gifted 1st downs. That contributes as much to the T.O.P. as anything else.
beast
9 years ago

I don't care what they call it. 1-6, 2-5, 3-4, 4-3, psycho, goal line, or Marybeth. Whatever it is, it ain't working so good. Yes they may not have given up a ton of yards or points but they were out there for 38 + minutes.

Well we already got told by the person that started the thread it's just for linemen talk... but since you're bring up the whole defense... I guess we gotten away from that again...

You're blaming just the defense for the time... (and we should be blaming the defense some for it and especially that great 3rd down % stat you have below) but it's also more than that... as the Packers fast pace offense has assisted them to face pace benching, and Packers 22 run plays to the Lions 38 run plays also help the ToP for the Lions a lot as well.

They allowed a 3rd down conversion rate of 61%.

GREAT stat for your point and you're right that's horrible (as a defensive whole, not just the DL)

They gave up 4.8 yards per play. That includes incomplete passes.

Horrible stat for your point... as you're complaining about a top 5 best stat.

According to the NFL.com season team stats ... 4.8 is tied for 5th BEST season average.

And for the season it says the Packers are at 5.0 which is tied for 8th through 10th BEST!

So on a yardage per snap basics the Packers are doing well... just need to do a better job of limiting their number of snaps... ie get off the field... of course staying off the field is easier when the offense stays on the field.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.