wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

Absolutely. We all do perceive entertainment differently. And that's perfectly OK. I just don't get why someone would want to police or "combat" other sports fans for thinking and/or hoping the best about their team. As I said, the vast majority of the posters on this particular forum are intimately familiar with the weakness of this team. They have been stated and discussed ad nauseam for years. For the most part, many of the weaknesses have remained constant throughout the years. I've stated several times that I don't think that Packers will win the Super Bowl this season. So where does that leave me? Am I to get no joy from the season since the Packers aren't going to be a "dominant" team or the best in the league? Why should I even watch the games if even a dramatic victory is "utterly embarrassing" for me?

It's one thing to push for certain moves in the off season. But the reality is that this current Packers team is what it is this season. I think it's likely to improve as the team continues to gel and players gain more experience. But it could also easily get even worse depending on the injury situation. Either way, things are not likely to substantially change until the off season, at best, and even then the change will likely be incremental.

The Packers may not be the best in the league or a truly dominate team. It would be great if there were, but they are not. Just like ones parents or kids may not be the best in the world, they still have a lot of value and provide many wonderful moments in life. The Packers are a good team that are exciting or dramatic to watch, if nothing else. If they consistently play to the level they are capable of, they are absolutely a top five team. But given a lack of talent at a few positions, if they don't play to the level they are capable of, they will probably just be a top 10 team. it could be worse, but it could also be better. Glass half empty or half full, I suppose.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Please don't think I am trying to scold you or anything like that. My post was just simply piggybacking on your comments for continuities sake. (We need a smiley like that so people don't think we are arguing with them.) That is why I said I like your post. I thought it was an even handed approach.

In the past I wondered why the same subject would come up over and over again. I decided, in part, it is because we are bored. In part it is because new members come and go on forums and they need to discuss the issue too. In part we like to pis tick some people off so we bait them. In part it is to yet again vent our frustration over an issue. As you know and already said, the same weakness/issues have been there for a while. If they are so apparent to us lesser beings why don't the POWERS THAT BE see it too and do something to correct it? Obviously there is more to the situation than we are allowed to see. THAT TICKS ME OFF! [grin1] I want Uncle Teddy and Mike to give me a weekly briefing so I know what the heck is really going on. If they did I would promise not to tell anyone. 😆

I have been upset with some of the aspects of this team too. I missed the whole first half but I was sure glad when they pulled it out int he end.

After 10 year Uncle Teddy is not going to change. He is going to continue to be almost phobic when it comes to the FA market. He is going to stock the team with young players who have cost controlled salaries and some upside potential. When they don't pan out he will find another one next year. There is no incentive for him to do the very thing so many of us would love and that is to roll the dice and try to win it all a couple of more times while Aaron is able to lead. Everyone knows there is no guarantees when you spend more money even if it increases your odds a little bit.

Packers Inc knows they are sitting on a goldmine. They plan to work it. Expand the stadium. Add amenities. People are going to flock there. People will have their weddings and various parties there. People will buy the overpriced merchandise there. The cash cow is rolling merrily along. Spending another 10-20 million a year on FA player salaries is not going to bring them any more ROE so why would they want to do it? They make no more money as a franchise after winning a SB than they do by being over .500 or by winning the division.
UserPostedImage
luigis
9 years ago
I'm really happy with the "draft" part. I'm concerned about "develop".

I evaluate picks in terms of what could have been, even for the worst picks that Ted made it is hard to see what could have gone better without a crystal ball. The Ahmad Carroll pick by Sherman is worst than all the worst picks that Thompson has ever made together. So I like Teddy drafting.

The development part is what scares me. We tend to make players play in positions they don't like and don't know and we tend to give players schemes that are too complex to grasp. I have the feeling Perry and Datone would play much better in many other teams. Same for Hayward, Hyde and Ha-Ha.

Too bad Raji was injured because I would have bet he was going to be much much better in the NT position where he always wanted to play.

I believe it's a serious mistake to make our players underperform on purpose.
Luis
DoddPower
9 years ago

Please don't think I am trying to scold you or anything like that. My post was just simply piggybacking on your comments for continuities sake. (We need a smiley like that so people don't think we are arguing with them.) That is why I said I like your post. I thought it was an even handed approach.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Certainly no offense taken in any way, shape, or form. The thought didn't even cross my mind, lol. [boxing]
dfosterf
9 years ago

It is indeed a flawed approach.

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

2010 called. They said get over it, we'd like to see the 2014 team get one.

uffda udfa
9 years ago
I'm not policing anybody...I can't. I offer a counter opinion to combat what I feel are a majority flawed opinion. People seem to love to check each other...if one guy is feeling a certain way there's a good chance someone else is also.

If I was left alone to do my thing and state what I believe there wouldn't be any uffda posts period. I'm ONE voice who feels a certain way that the most of you don't wish to because it's more fun for you to do it a different way.

Sports to me is entertainment but more than that sports have ALWAYS been about winning. I was that way in my day and in my life and that is what I admire in others when I watch sports. When I don't see what I admire I don't have much respect for it. It isn't okay to me to watch slop and garbage and a bunch of uninspired athletes even if they wear the "G". Yeah, I know I can't "do anything" about it,nor can you by being over the top with your homerism. Your perceived positivity does nothing as does my perceived negativity...yet, you act like I'm some destructive force on the board. I don't desire to be that. I desire to say what I want to say and if that involves calling into question some of the statements made after the Jets game in the shout box, then that's what I'm going to do. You get to state your craziness and I get to state mine. Why mine is worse or better than yours is what I don't understand. The goal is not to be positive or negative in reference to what I type on a message board when it comes to football. I try very hard to avoid personal things outside of disdain for certain ridiculous football opinions. I'm glad you can find a high from watching a game on your TV that was a win over the NYJ. I saw the same "win" but realize how much it was really a loss on many levels but that isn't okay to say that because how dare someone come in and tell their truth. It makes you question yours and when you do that I guess you lose some of the fun because you have to admit to yourself it wasn't as great as you thought it was. Again, the snowball effect...Packers fans rubbing elbows congratulating others over a putrid performance. Of course, I'm going to offer my counter to that because to me it was wholly illogical to be pumped up over what we saw.

2010 is over...we have Aaron Rodgers...he is BETTER than Brett Favre ever was and to celebrate ONE SB appearance is odd. With a QB like him you should be expect to be in true contention every year. We've been in contention...ONCE! ONCE! That is a disappointment and emblematic of the type of thing I rail against. The self satisfaction that what was done was somehow overly impressive and we shouldn't be demanding more. Aaron Rodgers is your QB and you've won ONE playoff game other than SB run vs. Joe Webb at Lambeau. Are you kidding? That is all Ted Thompson has to his credit. A SB run and ONE other playoff win?

If we lose on Sunday and lose badly, I'll speak to my feelings on that while I suppose many of you will spin the loss and throw a few coats of lipstick on the piggish performance. I hope to be able to say good things but I have no preconceived ideas on how I want to post about that game. I believe you do. I think that's the biggest difference between some of us and most of us...the desire of playing this role of this wildly supportive fan regardless of what you see. I'll just call a spade a spade and I'll love the Packers as much as you do while doing it.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago
As I said uffda udfa you can react however you want. It's not right or wrong, but it comes across as silly to me, at least your presentation. Using your exact words:

My presentation is what it is because I feel it's necessary to combat the blatant homerism that is presented and homerism and reality are not cousins nor friends of one another.

"uffda udfa" wrote:

You feel the need to "combat" other people perspectives. It's not a battle, and it's nothing you can win. Fans of sports teams, especially those that are big enough fans to spend much time on internet messages boards, are going to enjoy sports however they want to and have been for several decades in most cases. Yes, many fans will give their favorite teams the benefit of the doubt often. So what? Why should one get their panties in a wad over something they truly have no control over? Just like most people do with their parents, kids, and/or partners, we generally give our loved ones the benefit of the doubt and enjoy being around them even if we know they aren't doing things as good as they could be. But for some reason you act like you are the only one that can see or that is aware of the Packers weaknesses. I can say with a degree of certainty that most posters here are intimately aware of this teams weaknesses, and have been for years (as I have said several times now). I, like many others here, haven't missed a snap of Packers football from Family Night through the Playoffs in many years now, and do a lot of reading in between. You are not enlightening anyone. We all see the same things. If you want to fight some kind battle that can't be won and participate in an exercise in futility, than go for it. But me personally, if I don't derive some sense of joy and entertainment for watching sports, than it's probably best I move on to something more meaningful and productive. Fortunately, I often do enjoy watching the Packers play, and will continue to. If you are so convinced that this team is so horrible and will not achieve anything this season, what's the point of even watching the games? Why bring meaningless grief upon yourself? Can you really not find some other way to spend your time? Since you know exactly how things will play out this season, perhaps you should just focus on the off season and hope that the Packers make the changes that you want them to make then, because very little changes are going to be made during the season. That's basically a certainty. Otherwise, have fun banging your head against the wall repeatedly.

On that note, I'm not going to get caught up in your incessant and toxic web of internet arguing. As I said, I think you often come across as silly in your presentation and your perceived calling to combat "homerism." That doesn't mean it's a fact, but it is my perspective. You think I'm a "blatant homer" because I enjoy watching Packers football even if they are not truly dominant. So be it. The cases have been made. Time to move on. I'm not going to lose any sleep over some guy on the internet calling me a "homer," that's for sure.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
do we really have to keep beating this dead horse?

UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
9 years ago

do we really have to keep beating this dead horse?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Probably not until it is completely deteriorated.
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Dodd... you haven't said it but you love to "combat" my posting style with your lengthy diatribes directed toward me. I'm sure like you see the Packers weaknesses you also see this.

You will fight to protect your right to enjoy your team without having to listen to people who don't derive pleasure in the same way. I enjoy the fact that there will be Packers football this Sunday. I will NOT enjoy it if/when Detroit does to Green Bay what they did last year in Detroit. I will lament the state of our franchise should that happen Sunday. You are free to be happy watching that kind of performance. You are also free to be as optimistic and hopeful as you want as to how the season will turn out. It was insinuated that I think I know exactly how the season will play out. Nah... However, I would say it's a safe bet that it will turn out equal to or worse than it has the last 3 years. I'm hardly going out on a limb in saying that. Is that disappointing to me to believe that? Absolutely. Totally disappointing. I know that I don't know so I will watch on the off chance I'm wrong.

Yes, I'm extremely down on Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy as well. That is not likely to change just as it is not likely to change that you think the exact opposite of me. I do smile a little at your statement that "everyone sees this team's weaknesses...not just you"... Couldn't disagree with that statement more. You see Ted Thompson as a strength of this organization. I don't. How are you and I seeing the same weaknesses given you think Ted Thompson has us headed in the right direction? He has us on autopilot to the same destination we've been to the last 3 years... but we might not even get there. Very different view of things wouldn't you agree?

This whole Ted Thompson is great and Mike McCarthy is great thinking is really no different than some fan out there somewhere arguing with someone that Trent Dilfer was a great QB because a team he happened to QB won a SB. Can anyone deny that Trent Dilfer won a SB? No! In fact, if we were to debate with such a fan, I'm sure he'd love posting a pic of a victorious Dilfer on the field celebrating his SB win. That would be the justification used by that Dilfer fanatic eerily similar to someone posting a pic of a 2010 SB ring as validation that TT's approach is correct. As Trent Dilfer benefitted from the Ravens D and is NOT the reason the Ravens won the SB, Ted Thompson is NOT the reason the Packers won the SB in 2010. AARON RODGERS is the reason. Oh, you say Ted Thompson drafted him? Yes...you're right...he did. Ted Thompson did the no brainer thing ANYONE as Packers GM would've done. Oh, how Ted Thompson must thank Rodgers every night before bed for keeping him in the high regards many do because of Aaron.

Don't like the above example? Barry Switzer won a SB... was he the reason? No. Jeff Fisher is a much better coach but he doesn't have a ring but you could argue Switzer has the ring. Validation...validation. It is looking beyond some silly thing you can throw out to the reality of the situation that I believe many lack. Just like with the Jets game... it is a game that is really like a loss but it was celebrated as some type of impressive win.

I was oddly reminded of this board today at work...a guy I work with accomplished something today. I spoke to him about it and he ripped his own accomplishment saying he really didn't do anything and everything just kind of fell into his lap and he got lucky. He was right. That is exactly what happened. Now, if the same had happened to someone with no objectivity they would be patting themselves on the back and taking credit as if they'd really done something. I couldn't respect this guy more for his honesty regarding that situation. It is in short supply around here.

Toxic? LOL. Just LOL on that. What is toxic is the self congratulating elbow rubbing that takes place in the manner of the above example where the guy did beat his chest and take credit where he shouldn't have. That is what plays out here just in a different realm and manner.

Hopefully, the Packers will win and win convincingly on Sunday and we ALL can be happy.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
9 years ago
You said it right there man. When we won on Sunday. We were all high fiving and having a great time in the crowd. We didn't blow the Jets out (not even close), but we were still all smiles. It is not a weakness to find joy in a win no matter how it is achieved.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.