wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I've been on Matt Flynn's bandwagon for quite some time and been adamantly against Scott Tozien after watching him look like a deer caught in headlights. Both Flynn and Tolzien have shown something. Flynn has shown a little more zip, but poor decision making. Tolzien has always had some zip and has shown better decision making and better accuracy. One thing I like about Tolzien is I don't see the happy feet in the pocket nearly as much and he looks a heckuva lot more confident back there.

Tolzien
Att - 38
Comp - 26
Yds - 338
Comp% - 68.4
Yds/Att - 8.9
TD - 1
INT - 0
Rating - 104.9

Flynn
Att - 23
Comp - 11
Yds - 130
Comp% - 47.8
Yds/Att - 5.7
TD - 1
INT - 1
Rating - 61.9

If the Packers keep three QB's, then they hurt their depth else where. Keeping three QB's simply does not make sense. Packers cut Tolzien, someone will surely grab him whereas if Flynn is cut, there is a good chance if both Aaron Rodgers and Tolzien are hurt, Flynn will be available.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I do not dispute the numbers are giving Tolzien a clear edge int he backup QB battle. What concerns me is that preseason stats typically don't mean a whole heck of a lot. Not all starters play. Not all players go full tilt. Not all teams run their "real" plays. It is very hard to look at preseason numbers and get the true picture of what is happening. I would feel better if GB went with 3 QBs even if it means being short at another position. After all it is not as if they player they don't keep will be activated on gameday. Should GB have yet more injuries and be short at another position I will gladly reevaluate my position.
UserPostedImage
68md
9 years ago
sigh here we go again..... you can't really use numbers because almost all these snaps in pre season were against 2nd and 3rd string D. I go back to last year it was Flynn who came in sparked the team and got it done.( If Tolzien could they would not have gone out and signed Matt )

I watched Tolzien last year and at UW enough to not want the risk. But let's really look at reality here. Regardless both these guys are a 1 to 2 year stop gap. TT/MM very soon will draft a QB to groom for the next starter. That QB will take over the #2 spot.

So Tolzien or Flynn it's not like their here long term regardless [twocents]
yooperfan
9 years ago
Keep 3.
Rodgers has been hit too hard, too often over his career due to the Packers inability to build an adequate OL.
He is no spring chicken anymore and injury is bound to rear it's ugly head if he is not protected any better than he has been throughout his career.
Hopefully we won't lose him again this year, but having two reasonably decent backups at the position would help to alleviate a cluster fuck at the QB position that we had to endure last year.
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Coach's answer in his latest press conference is exactly how I feel on the matter:

On the potential number of quarterbacks kept on the roster:

Matt and Scott aren't just competing against each other. You have to keep your best players. They're really competing against the other positions, and that's what it comes down to.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Cheesey
9 years ago

Keep 3.
Rodgers has been hit too hard, too often over his career due to the Packers inability to build an adequate OL.
He is no spring chicken anymore and injury is bound to rear it's ugly head if he is not protected any better than he has been throughout his career.
Hopefully we won't lose him again this year, but having two reasonably decent backups at the position would help to alleviate a cluster f*ck at the QB position that we had to endure last year.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I agree. You have 2 decent backups now, the opposite of what we had when Aaron Rodgers went down last year.
So you don't keep a 3rd or 4th string guy in a different area.....are you really losing that much? Other positions are easier to fill in a emergency then a QB.

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

I agree. You have 2 decent backups now, the opposite of what we had when Aaron Rodgers went down last year.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

One of those guys is the same guy.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago

One of those guys is the same guy.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Flynn wasn't with GB when Rodgers went down.
So I guess you speak of Tolzien.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
CRAP!!!

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

CRAP!!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Demovsky added "barring a last minute trade"

Don't "crap" just yet!!!!!

[grin1]

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.