Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:12:53 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

I've been on Matt Flynn's bandwagon for quite some time and been adamantly against Scott Tozien after watching him look like a deer caught in headlights. Both Flynn and Tolzien have shown something. Flynn has shown a little more zip, but poor decision making. Tolzien has always had some zip and has shown better decision making and better accuracy. One thing I like about Tolzien is I don't see the happy feet in the pocket nearly as much and he looks a heckuva lot more confident back there.

Tolzien
Att - 38
Comp - 26
Yds - 338
Comp% - 68.4
Yds/Att - 8.9
TD - 1
INT - 0
Rating - 104.9

Flynn
Att - 23
Comp - 11
Yds - 130
Comp% - 47.8
Yds/Att - 5.7
TD - 1
INT - 1
Rating - 61.9

If the Packers keep three QB's, then they hurt their depth else where. Keeping three QB's simply does not make sense. Packers cut Tolzien, someone will surely grab him whereas if Flynn is cut, there is a good chance if both Aaron Rodgers and Tolzien are hurt, Flynn will be available.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
macbob on 8/23/2014(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:24:33 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 331
Applause Received: 443

I have been impressed with Tolzien this pre-season, looks like he has made a huge step foward, but still think The Packers are better off starting the season with 3 qb's.

I haven't heard where another team is in dire need of a qb, but if they let Flynn go and somebody loses their qb, he would be at the top of the list to sign.

Too risky this time of the year, depending on what happens, I could see The Packers letting Flynn go later if the need arises at another position.

For now I am in favor of keeping all 3.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline steveishere  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:24:36 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Yep, I was all for Flynn and wanted Tolzien to convince me and so far he has. I still don't know how he would do having to lead the team in an actual game but so far he's looked decisive and accurate. I don't really see any reason to keep both players, if the team trusts Tolzien or Flynn as a back up leave it at that. Neither are so great that losing one or the other for the long term should be devastating.
uffda udfa on 8/23/2014(UTC)
Offline uffda udfa  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:31:57 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
Yep, I was all for Flynn and wanted Tolzien to convince me and so far he has. I still don't know how he would do having to lead the team in an actual game but so far he's looked decisive and accurate. I don't really see any reason to keep both players, if the team trusts Tolzien or Flynn as a back up leave it at that. Neither are so great that losing one or the other for the long term should be devastating.

Choose one... don't wuss out and waste a roster spot because you can't.

I'm going with the upside on this one. Tolzien, in time, should be the much better QB. I'm not totally certain he isn't right now. Flynn's calling card is the reliability he's shown here. He's okay.

I still think they'll choose Flynn because of the fear factor. Too much unknown with Tolzien in real game situations.

If they keep both I will be terribly disappointed.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:41:55 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 354

I just don't think this is the year to use an additional spot for a QB. I know Mike wants to, but there are some guys elsewhere that could really make an impact this year that we'd be letting go.

Each year tells a pretty unique story. Last year we had a backup OLB and QB problem for example and this year looks like those positions are well stocked while other positions look to be taking a hit like DT. Raji's injury makes this even more interesting.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline earthquake  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:14:42 PM(UTC)
earthquake

Applause Given: 187
Applause Received: 61

At the start of the season I was leaning towards Flynn, because he has shown the ability to win a few games. However the more I see Tolzien play, the better he looks.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to keep 3 QBs, I think thats being overly reactionary. How often does the #3 QB get significant playing time for any team with a legit franchise QB? Still, it won't really surprise me if they do.
blank
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:25:41 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 452
Applause Received: 272

I've been for Tolzien all along - his only problem last season was inadequate preparation before getting thrown in.

The only question was and is, keep all three, or save a roster spot by getting rid of Flynn. Flynn looked good enough against the Rams that I was starting to favor the 3 QB route, and very likely that's still what the Packers will do, but I'm glad - and not surprised - to see Tolzien outplay Flynn.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline macbob  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 5:58:44 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 249

I'd go with Tolzien, and only keep two.

Looking at the roster projections showing us with 8 OL is making me feel like Princess Leia on the asteroid--I have a bad feeling about this...

No one is going to be happy if I start getting the urge to wear my wife's Princess Leia's Jabba's Castle costume... Tongue
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 5:41:10 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

If we have to go with 2, drop Flynn. Should the #2 have to play, the run game, bubble screens and check down passes to backs is going to make the offense much less demanding on the backup QB play. Defenses would be much closer to the LOS to challenge the short game and Tolzien's stronger arm should be effective against a less congested secondary.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 6:00:52 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
I just don't think this is the year to use an additional spot for a QB. I know Mike wants to, but there are some guys elsewhere that could really make an impact this year that we'd be letting go.

Each year tells a pretty unique story. Last year we had a backup OLB and QB problem for example and this year looks like those positions are well stocked while other positions look to be taking a hit like DT. Raji's injury makes this even more interesting.

If it comes to the last roster spot, you're likely talking about a guy that's not making the active roster anyway. We saw last year how critical competency is at the QB position. St. Louis and Cleveland are two teams that come to mind that I would imagine wouldn't think long before picking up either Packer qb.

The only reason I see to not retain Flynn or Tolzien would be if they could be used as trade bait for a DL or C, but that doesn't really seem like a Ted-like move.

Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 2:28:54 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,031
Applause Received: 1,467

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I've been on Matt Flynn's bandwagon for quite some time and been adamantly against Scott Tozien after watching him look like a deer caught in headlights. Both Flynn and Tolzien have shown something. Flynn has shown a little more zip, but poor decision making. Tolzien has always had some zip and has shown better decision making and better accuracy. One thing I like about Tolzien is I don't see the happy feet in the pocket nearly as much and he looks a heckuva lot more confident back there.

Tolzien
Att - 38
Comp - 26
Yds - 338
Comp% - 68.4
Yds/Att - 8.9
TD - 1
INT - 0
Rating - 104.9

Flynn
Att - 23
Comp - 11
Yds - 130
Comp% - 47.8
Yds/Att - 5.7
TD - 1
INT - 1
Rating - 61.9

If the Packers keep three QB's, then they hurt their depth else where. Keeping three QB's simply does not make sense. Packers cut Tolzien, someone will surely grab him whereas if Flynn is cut, there is a good chance if both Aaron Rodgers and Tolzien are hurt, Flynn will be available.

I do not dispute the numbers are giving Tolzien a clear edge int he backup QB battle. What concerns me is that preseason stats typically don't mean a whole heck of a lot. Not all starters play. Not all players go full tilt. Not all teams run their "real" plays. It is very hard to look at preseason numbers and get the true picture of what is happening. I would feel better if GB went with 3 QBs even if it means being short at another position. After all it is not as if they player they don't keep will be activated on gameday. Should GB have yet more injuries and be short at another position I will gladly reevaluate my position.

UserPostedImage

musccy on 8/25/2014(UTC)
Offline 68md  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 2:56:03 PM(UTC)
68md

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2009

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 12

sigh here we go again..... you can't really use numbers because almost all these snaps in pre season were against 2nd and 3rd string D. I go back to last year it was Flynn who came in sparked the team and got it done.( If Tolzien could they would not have gone out and signed Matt )

I watched Tolzien last year and at UW enough to not want the risk. But let's really look at reality here. Regardless both these guys are a 1 to 2 year stop gap. TT/MM very soon will draft a QB to groom for the next starter. That QB will take over the #2 spot.

So Tolzien or Flynn it's not like their here long term regardless Two Cents
UserPostedImage
wpr on 8/25/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 4:20:02 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 605
Applause Received: 275

Keep 3.
Rodgers has been hit too hard, too often over his career due to the Packers inability to build an adequate OL.
He is no spring chicken anymore and injury is bound to rear it's ugly head if he is not protected any better than he has been throughout his career.
Hopefully we won't lose him again this year, but having two reasonably decent backups at the position would help to alleviate a cluster fuck at the QB position that we had to endure last year.
Offline DarkaneRules  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:11:10 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 354

Coach's answer in his latest press conference is exactly how I feel on the matter:

On the potential number of quarterbacks kept on the roster:

Matt and Scott aren't just competing against each other. You have to keep your best players. They're really competing against the other positions, and that's what it comes down to.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower on 8/26/2014(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:33:48 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 412

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Keep 3.
Rodgers has been hit too hard, too often over his career due to the Packers inability to build an adequate OL.
He is no spring chicken anymore and injury is bound to rear it's ugly head if he is not protected any better than he has been throughout his career.
Hopefully we won't lose him again this year, but having two reasonably decent backups at the position would help to alleviate a cluster f*ck at the QB position that we had to endure last year.

I agree. You have 2 decent backups now, the opposite of what we had when Aaron Rodgers went down last year.
So you don't keep a 3rd or 4th string guy in a different area.....are you really losing that much? Other positions are easier to fill in a emergency then a QB.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed