Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — Taking a closer look at the Green Bay Packers' seventh practice of training camp from Saturday, the annual Family Night event:

Thumbs up: Although it ended up not mattering in the big picture, as he went on to have the best season of his career, Mason Crosby was abysmal at Family Night last summer, when in head-to-head competition with Giorgio Tavecchio to end the event, he made only 2 of 6 attempts during the final period and was just 3 of 8 for the night.

What a difference, as they say, a year makes. Crosby closed out Saturday night's event by making all six of his kicks, from 28, 33, 28, 43, 48 and 50 yards.

"Was anybody holding their breath out there on that field-goal set? I know I wasn't. I felt good about it," said Crosby, who had made 14 of 16 during the first week of camp entering Saturday night. "I feel good with how I'm approaching every day. Every day I come into work, in meetings, on the practice field, I'm taking every opportunity very seriously and making sure I take advantage of them. Whether it's in a game, practice rep, they all matter and they all need to be crisp and good.

"I've been really happy; I've had two misses in like the sessions that we've had in practice and I've moved on from those really well."

Thumbs down: Referee Ed Hochuli's crew worked the practice, and before leaving town, they made sure they delivered one more reminder that defensive backs will be heavily scrutinized this season on any contact with receivers. During 1-on-1 drills between the defensive backs and the receivers, Hochuli's crew threw flags on 10 of the 19 reps in the period — and only one, by unofficial count, on the offensive player.

"We were literally laughing after a while. The first couple of ones, we were running down there, and then after that we were like 'Whoa, this is nuts,'" safety Micah Hyde said. "I've never seen that before in my life. I think they were trying to call every little thing."

During their visit, the officials warned players that the NFL's league directive to emphasize penalizing contact in the passing game would result in more flags, and multiple defensive backs said they expect more during next Saturday night's preseason opener at Tennessee. However, cornerback Casey Hayward made a good point: When 11-on-11 drills were in full swing, suddenly the flags stopped.

"The team periods, you didn't see that many flags. Because now, you (as an official) have to focus on the whole field and not just one specific area," Hayward said. "At the end of the day, I think they're going to be more strict on some of the things in the preseason. We just have to adjust our game to how they're calling it in the preseason."

Play of the day: While coach Mike McCarthy was less than thrilled with the decision, and Colt Lyerla suffered a leg injury for his trouble, give the undrafted rookie free-agent tight end this much: His hurdle of defensive back Jumal Rolle on a catch-and-run certainly showed off Lyerla's athleticism, which is one of the reasons why the team decided to take a chance on him after his checkered past at the University of Oregon.

That said, McCarthy made it clear he wasn't a fan of the Lyerla Leap, which ended with Jarrett Bush hitting Lyerla at the end of the play and Lyerla leaving on a cart to the locker room shortly thereafter.

"Obviously it wasn't a live tackling period. I think you can figure that out from there," McCarthy said. "There's a time for the opportunity to hurdle the defender, and I think that was probably not the right time."

Camp confidential: On Friday, quarterback Aaron Rodgers smiled at a question about Family Night, saying, "I've never had the best Family Nights over the years, but I've always enjoyed them," said Rodgers, who was famously booed in 2008 when his unretiring predecessor, Brett Favre, came to the stadium for the event as part of his showdown with the team. But later, Rodgers posted to his Twitter account  that he'd been clotheslined during the 2006 Family Night, by then-rookie linebacker and now his good friend, A.J. Hawk.8 years ago @OfficialAJHawk  clotheslined me on family night. I'll have my revenge...in this life or the next. #familynight  #norainplease — Aaron Rodgers (@AaronRodgers12) August 1, 2014 Hawk set the record straight after Family Night, however.

"No. Part of it's fabricated," Hawk said with a laugh. "He mixed me and (ex-Packers linebacker) Brady Poppinga together on that."

Packers Playlist: Regeneration periods during practice are also called "TV timeouts," and on Saturday night, they truly were. With the local FOX affiliate, WLUK, broadcasting the event, the regeneration periods featured advertising on the Lambeau Field scoreboard instead of the usual catchy tunes that blare from the Ray Nitschke Field speakers.

Injury report: WR Jared Abbrederis (knee), who is headed for season-ending injured reserve with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and S Tanner Miller (ankle) sat out. C Corey Linsley (shoulder) returned to practice after missing Friday. DE Jerel Worthy (lower back) and DT Letroy Guion (hamstring) remained on the Non-Football Injury list. Rookie WR Jeff Janis (shingles) remained on the Non-Football Illness list but said he expects to practice on Monday.

They said it: "I know everybody wants to get to the fireworks, so let's get going." — McCarthy, opening up his post-practice news conference.

Practice schedule: The Packers do not practice Sunday. They will return to Ray Nitschke Field at 5:30 p.m. Monday. They'll be in pads, McCarthy said.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (18h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (21h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
44m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.