Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#31 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 10:18:53 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,555
Applause Received: 640

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
I don't see much in Sean Richardson beyond a decent in the box safety with poor to average at best cover skills. A very good defensive coordinator could probably creatively scheme and make it work, but good quarterbacks would easily expose him, imo. Especially without a top-flight free safety to cover for his mistakes.

I think Burnett, Hyde, and Clinton-Dix are better options in the long run than Richardson. I think Banjo is also better in coverage. Richardson seems like a #4 or #3 type safety, at best. Decent depth, but still not a very good player.

Bulk him up, move him to ILB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
beast on 8/10/2014(UTC)
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#32 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 6:00:36 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

I don't see much in Sean Richardson beyond a decent in the box safety with poor to average at best cover skills. A very good defensive coordinator could probably creatively scheme and make it work, but good quarterbacks would easily expose him, imo. Especially without a top-flight free safety to cover for his mistakes.

I think Burnett, Hyde, and Clinton-Dix are better options in the long run than Richardson. I think Banjo is also better in coverage. Richardson seems like a #4 or #3 type safety, at best. Decent depth, but still not a very good player.

Richardson would be more of an in the box safety like Cam Chancellor.

Only faster.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 2:46:03 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#34 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:33:12 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 209
Applause Received: 351

Well the deal is that he is making plays so that's a great start. The more safeties making plays in camp the better. The pre-season games will sort things out with the safety situation but I am excited to watch this guy improve. He's got the perfect frame to be a strong safety. Let's see what happens. Also props to Banjo. Word from coach is that is improving nicely as well. The Burnett injury is allowing more reps for the younger guys. Blessing in disguise?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Zero2Cool  
#35 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 5:22:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Sean Richardson has jumped over Banjo on the depth chart. In fact, no safety has made more plays on the ball than Richardson, who had two interceptions in the first week of camp. ​
UserPostedImage
Offline DarkaneRules  
#36 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 7:01:29 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

That pass deflection on Saturday night sealed it for me and probably the coaches as well, but of course it is all about how they perform in games. At the rate he is going, he may not start, but he has certainly earned more reps behind Burnett or alongside him in packages where there are more than two safeties on the field..
Offline Mucky Tundra  
#37 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 7:05:56 AM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra

United States

Applause Given: 345
Applause Received: 422

He's sure willing to lay out and hit people and this team needs that badly.
May not have the best looking number...but it's the sexiest! -David Bakhtiari
UserPostedImage
Offline DoddPower  
#38 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 2:59:52 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

I certainly hope it works out and he proves me wrong. But I'm very skeptical. He'll be fine against the run, but I think he will be lit up on passing plays. Even if he comes out on the third down, there will still be opportunities on other downs. Of course, all the other Packers safeties get burned too, so I suppose it couldn't be much worse.

With that being said, I have much more faith in the coverage ability of Burnett, Hyde, and even Clinton-Dix, once he learns the defense.
Offline DakotaT  
#39 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 5:35:23 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

With that being said, I have much more faith in the coverage ability of Burnett, Hyde, and even Clinton-Dix, once he learns the defense.

Aren't they all going to learn a new defense this year? I'm really tired of what we've watched the last few years. Way too much talent on that side of the ball to suck so bad.
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#40 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 6:25:19 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 146

Richardson is one of those typical guys who has the "looks like Tarzan... plays like Jane" label. Off the charts freakish athleticism but not a very good football player. No instincts... bad angles...but he's the kind of guy we haven't had for a while. One who will just run around and hit things. His ball skills aren't his problem...he just isn't football smart like a Micah Hyde. If you could pair Hyde's football intelligence and Richardson's body...wow.

Hopefully, Sean has learned how to play the game through solid mechanics and fundamentals which he can learn.

As has been said... an in the box guy who might make a play on a ball once in awhile but who'll get burned way more than he'll show up big. He is the epitome of our draft and develop...take a pure athlete who doesn't know jack about football and see if you can get him there. Hopeful, he's come far enough to contribute on D.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DoddPower on 8/4/2014(UTC), AbbaGav on 8/5/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#41 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 6:30:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Richardson is one of those typical guys who has the "looks like Tarzan... plays like Jane" label. Off the charts freakish athleticism but not a very good football player. No instincts... bad angles...

It amuses me when folks blast someone who they clearly haven't even watched. d'oh!

The guy was constantly around the ball and making plays prior to his injury. How could you not see that? Stevie Wonder said it was clear as day.

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister on 8/4/2014(UTC)
Offline DarkaneRules  
#42 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 6:30:45 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Damn I think perhaps you might be a liiittle too hard on some of these guys. They don't get to the NFL by knowing jack about football man. But yeah he's far from a pro-bowler. There is a reason why Hyde is back there. But Richardson is improving; you can see it.
Offline uffda udfa  
#43 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 8:36:59 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 146

I don't know if that's being hard on him... I recall when we added him as a UDFA...I researched him to find out why a guy like him went undrafted. There have to be serious red flags on a guy with his immense athleticism to go undrafted. I watched some videos of him pointing out the brutal angles he took...and they were horrifically bad.

What would be the reason a guy like him wouldn't get drafted? He has all the "tools"... something must be missing...what is it? The ability to play football. Not a good player... but looks great in shorts and helmet. I love guys like Richardson...who can also play. He's half the equation.

I'm hopeful he's improved enough through study, mechanics and fundamentals... it isn't natural to him but he can learn through study.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
AbbaGav on 8/5/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#44 Posted : Monday, August 4, 2014 9:00:08 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,000
Applause Received: 487

I think he's a fine player but I simply don't trust his coverage abilities. I prioritize coverage abilities of safeties most of all, so perhaps that's why I'm not very hopeful about his chances. I also don't think Dom Capers will scheme him very well. He should make a decent back up though, which every team needs. I'd rather not see him on the field on obvious passing downs, though.
Offline steveishere  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:19:21 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 938

We haven't really seen the guy cover anybody in the 2 years he's been on the team so I don't really see any reason at this point to just assume he's absolutely terrible in coverage. He played 174 snaps on defense last year and gave up an 11 yard catch so that's not much to go off of. Compared to McMillian who played 190 some snaps and gave up over 200 yards. There's no reason to assume he's very good either at this point but hopefully 2 seasons with NFL coaching has done him some good.