nerdmann
9 years ago

GREEN BAY — Taking a closer look at the Green Bay Packers' third practice of training camp from Monday:

Thumbs up: Whether it's motivation, or being in better shape, or the position switch, or facing a first-year center, nose tackle B.J. Raji has looked phenomenal during the first four practices of camp. On Wednesday in pads, Raji trashed center JC Tretter on a pair of 1-on-1 run-blocking matchups — although Tretter did stop Raji on a 1-on-1 pass-rush rep. Then, in an 11-on-11 team red-zone period, Raji whipped Tretter again to reroute an Eddie Lacy run in the backfield. Having returned on a one-year prove-it $4 million deal, Raji is off to a terrific start.

"B.J.'s in great shape," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said when asked about his nose tackle's strong start to camp. "I know our strength staff [was very happy with] where B.J. came in at with his weight and where he is and so forth. Some of the things we've changed, not really changed, but what we're emphasizing in B.J.'s particular job responsibility, I think he does very natural."

Thumbs down: Oh, Myles White. With the increased competition for a roster spot at wide receiver following the selections of Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis, you can't be muffing punts — much less three in the same period. But that's exactly what happened during a special teams session Wednesday. While White probably is the team's fourth or fifth option as the punt returner, it's never a good idea to make glaring fundamental errors, especially in succession.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
9 years ago
Only four days in but I am really liking what I am reading about the defense. Sounds like some guys are getting after it and playing some physical ball which of course, has to transfer over to the actual games but if you are practicing that way, you should play that way.

I like hearing about what they are doing with Matthews, bringing him on the blitz from different areas (kind of a continuation of what they were doing last season). Our defensive backs are running deep this year. They seem to be the most impressive sounding group of guys thus far.

Disappointing to see Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy out some more. No one knew about the Worthy injury which apparently happened back in April while working out. The Packers really need help along the defensive line.

Offense seems to be clicking. Jordy and Aaron are on spot with the chemistry/timing already it seems. Reading about Eddie "Moss" Lacy having more receiving opportunities is exciting.

Every day the offensive line stays healthy (Lang's shoulder doesn't get worse) is a good day. This could possibly be the best offensive line we have seen in a LONG time.

Wondering what is going on with Jeff Janis. In MM's presser today, he was asked about him and all he said was, "Janis was a different situation" and I have no idea what to think about that since he has been on the NFI list with a sickness. Regardless, he is making it tougher on himself to make the roster. It was already a stretch with the receivers in front of him.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago
I'm not sure what to make of these thumbs up thumbs down type articles. It seems that so often the thumbs up is for a guy who is expected to step up or is being counted on for big things (in this case Raji) and the thumbs down is for some borderline guy that just made it harder for himself to make the team or keep his job (in this case White)

It's almost as the thumbs up are there to make us feel real good about a very important piece if the puzzle while the thumbs down is kind of like its no big deal, this is as bad as it gets.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see Raji in the TU section than the TD section but it seems to be so much Rah Rah type stuff to me. Its like the only people who have bad training camps are the borderline people. Of course maybe that is why they are borderline in the first place.

Also, as good as it is to hear Raji is stepping up it's not so good to hear that Tretter is getting his shit handed to him.
mi_keys
9 years ago

Also, as good as it is to hear Raji is stepping up it's not so good to hear that Tretter is getting his shit handed to him.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Yeah, fingers crossed this is a combination of Raji playing godly (we can hope right?) and Tretter shaking the rust off.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.