steveishere
9 years ago
Barclay is not as good as Lang run blocking. GB had the 2nd highest YPC average on inside runs in the league last year. I think Lang is probably a little better than Sitton run blocking but Sitton is one of the best pass blocking G in the NFL. Lang is easily above average overall as a G. Maybe Barclay will make a good G but he wasn't very good pass or run blocking as a T.
nerdmann
9 years ago

I'm definitely higher on Lang than you. I agree on your with respect to possibly improvement in the run game. Barclay is has been a proven run blocker so far, but has been up and down in pass pro. Incidentally, last year in Detroit was one of Sitton's worst games as a pro. No one on the line did a very good job, but also Flynn was exposed big time in that game in particular.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Well let's see.

We lost our starting C. We had no backup at the position, so we move our guy who is elite at G to C. Where he's never played before.

Does Detroit having anyone good on the interior of their Dline?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
9 years ago

Our interior on the whole is no match for Detroit. One of the reasons I think Sitton is overrated. It isn't just last year. Our interior just gets pwned by the Lions front. Obviously, Detroit is very strong up front but they shouldn't be able to dominate us like they have been consistently. On carpet it ain't even fair.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Detroit has an elite interior DL and they handled them fine in the 1st game. In the 2nd game Lang was playing C for most of the game. If you are using that game to say he's not a good C then sure the guys not a very good C.
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Well let's see.

We lost our starting C. We had no backup at the position, so we move our guy who is elite at G to C. Where he's never played before.

Does Detroit having anyone good on the interior of their Dline?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Last year, EDS was a tackle filling in for Tretter as a back up center. So essentially we lost a 3rd string center and now the sky is falling. [palm]

We have 3 centers now. Tretter is a converted tackle like EDS that the team thinks is BETTER than EDS. The other two are career centers.

They wanted Tretter in EDS's spot last year but that had to change because of his injury.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Barclay is not as good as Lang run blocking. GB had the 2nd highest YPC average on inside runs in the league last year. I think Lang is probably a little better than Sitton run blocking but Sitton is one of the best pass blocking G in the NFL. Lang is easily above average overall as a G. Maybe Barclay will make a good G but he wasn't very good pass or run blocking as a T.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Isn't it amazing how high the Packers are on Don Barclay? Why? Yes this was not last season but they were just as high on him, then...

from profootballfocus.com...

Worst Offensive Sub

Don Barclay, OT, Green Bay Packers

There’s been a lot of shuffling on the Packers’ offensive line since right tackle Bryan Bulaga hit injured reserve and center Jeff Saturday was benched (but yet still somehow made the Pro Bowl). That’s left undrafted rookie free agent Don Barclay manning Green Bay’s right tackle spot, with shaky results. Sunday was his worst game yet, as his three sacks in pass protection were the most allowed by any tackle last week. All five pressures he allowed came in the second half, and he also tacked on two false-start penalties on third downs. With 8:28 left in the third quarter, after the rookie’s early jump had just turned 3rd-and-2 and into 3rd-and-7, Brian Robison got around Barclay to cause an Aaron Rodgers fumble at midfield. In two games versus the Vikings, Barclay has incurred four penalties and allowed eight QB pressures.

Barclay has proven to be a Marshall Newhouse level NFL tackle. If he fails inside you have legit proof this staff has no clue on what qualifies as NFL talent on the OL.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago

Last year, EDS was a tackle filling in for Tretter as a back up center. So essentially we lost a 3rd string center and now the sky is falling. [palm]

We have 3 centers now. Tretter is a converted tackle like EDS that the team thinks is BETTER than EDS. The other two are career centers.

They wanted Tretter in EDS's spot last year but that had to change because of his injury.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

To be fair, EDS had been playing on the inside for what, 3-4 years?

He wasn't dominant, but he was a C.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
Barclay's value is his ability to play multiple positions. He isn't an A talent on the edge but I don't think he is Newhouse bad.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Barclay's value is his ability to play multiple positions. He isn't an A talent on the edge but I don't think he is Newhouse bad.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

T.J. Lang's value is the same as Barclays in regard to multiple positions. Jack of all, master of none. Also, I think that is an issue with the OL. Many jack of all, with too few masters.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
We have Sitton who is an above average G and little else of merit on the OL. A bunch of JAG's. Perhaps, Sherrod and or Bulaga prove to be players. I don't consider Bulaga's career prior to injury to be all that impressive...a decent solid option at RT but was never the LT he was drafted to be.

Our OL is a middling group... nothing special. It hasn't been special at any point during Mike McCarthy and TT's time.
Ted Thompson does seem to have Ron Wolf's philosophy on Guards...that they are a dime a dozen. Sadly, that seems to extend to C and T, as well.

It will forever amaze me the greatness of Aaron Rodgers that he could put up an MVP season behind Marshall Newhouse at LT.

This organization is out of it's mind the way it's handled the OL over the last several years. Josh Sitton sure sounds "happy" about it:

From ESPN.com

"I think I've had five centers now," Sitton said. "So it's tough because you learn one guy and you get used to doing drills next to one guy and you just jell and you know exactly where their foot's going to be and you've going to be right next to each other. Dietrich was a hell of a player, there was no doubt about it. I really enjoyed playing next to him. But that's what we do. I've played next to, I don't know, 12 tackles since I've been here, so I'm definitely used to playing next to different players. It gives T.J. and I a little bit of a challenge to get him up to speed. It makes it interesting. It's fun teaching him and bringing him along."

---That's how you help your Hall of Fame QB out...just keep musical chairs playing and never even think of turning off the music. I suppose they could do that if they could find 5 guys who can play well at the NFL level.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

9 years ago
If Barclay were to win the starting spot then this offensive line would have the potential to be fantastic because Lang is a helluva player. Lang allowed something like only 1 sack and 17 pressures last year. Not to mention he is a very good run blocker.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (15h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (15h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (16h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.