nerdmann
9 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. — Mike McCarthy is entering his ninth season as the Green Bay Packers coach. He will soon have a street named after him that intersects with Holmgren Way, which intersects with Lombardi Avenue. He has a Super Bowl ring and a contract that pays him $5 million per season.

So McCarthy has it all figured out, right?

Although he stopped short of saying he is junking everything he has done in the past, he did acknowledge that the 2014 season will bring with it a far different method of preparing for games than anything he has used in his first eight seasons.

Rob Demovsky  wrote:

Agreed, Mike's very open to change. As long as it doesn't require accountability for anyone on his staff.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I'll tell you one thing I really can't stand about Mike McCarthy...he is an excuse maker who is credited for being a straight forward no nonsense HC. Bull spittle. How many years in a row am I going to have to hear him cry about how the new labor rules have cut practices each and every year? He whines and complains all the time about how he's going to get his team ready with so few practices. The same rules apply to the other 31 teams but I don't recall reading constant articles from any of the other 31 coaches laying the excuse foundation before the season even begins. That kind of talk from Mike McCarthy is loser talk and has no business coming out his mouth but I'm glad it does as it paints a picture of a man who is full of excuses.

Can we get an HC who is able to deal with the new age practice rules and embrace them and make the best of them without laying a foundation to excuse slow starts?

Honestly, if you listen to both Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson speak it is a wonder we are a regular season above .500 team. "Target"... "Frankly"..."Pad Level"..."Get that cleaned up"... "Like the guys we've got"... "It's just kinda how it worked out". C'mon, man!

Do any of you really, if you weren't Packers fans, get inspired by either of these guys by what they say? Leave out what you think or what they have accomplished and listen to them speak and the vibe they're giving off. I think it's deplorable.

If he can't "get it right" which is what he was quoted as saying he finally did this offseason bring in someone who can and will not make it a distraction or excuse.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago

I'll tell you one thing I really can't stand about Mike McCarthy...he is an excuse maker who is credited for being a straight forward no nonsense HC. Bull spittle. How many years in a row am I going to have to hear him cry about how the new labor rules have cut practices each and every year? He whines and complains all the time about how he's going to get his team ready with so few practices. The same rules apply to the other 31 teams but I don't recall reading constant articles from any of the other 31 coaches laying the excuse foundation before the season even begins. That kind of talk from Mike McCarthy is loser talk and has no business coming out his mouth but I'm glad it does as it paints a picture of a man who is full of excuses.

Can we get an HC who is able to deal with the new age practice rules and embrace them and make the best of them without laying a foundation to excuse slow starts?

Honestly, if you listen to both Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson speak it is a wonder we are a regular season above .500 team. "Target"... "Frankly"..."Pad Level"..."Get that cleaned up"... "Like the guys we've got"... "It's just kinda how it worked out". C'mon, man!

Do any of you really, if you weren't Packers fans, get inspired by either of these guys by what they say? Leave out what you think or what they have accomplished and listen to them speak and the vibe they're giving off. I think it's deplorable.

If he can't "get it right" which is what he was quoted as saying he finally did this offseason bring in someone who can and will not make it a distraction or excuse.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That and the constant lulls on our "explosive" offense.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

First of all, I don't really listen or care what they say to the press. It's meaningless. It's meant to be largely meaningless. It's mostly all rhetoric, just like a politician. I don't have any problem with the organization being conservative with the press. It may be annoying to the fans, but it offers no benefit to the organization to be talkative in front of the mic.

uffda udfa
9 years ago
I understand your point, Dodd, however, you don't think him constantly complaining about the "new rules" has any impact on his players? If your boss was constantly bemoaning not being legally able to help you and your coworkers to be as successful as they used to be don't you think you and your coworkers are going to fall to the level your boss seems to imply with his words?

Fritz Shurmur used to say you get from a guy what you expect to get. If Mike McCarthy isn't deep down really expecting to be able to get his guys ready...guess what?...he won't be getting his guys ready.

This is a continuous thing we hear from his mouth. It isn't just this year. He's made a big deal of it for several years now. He needs to shut up and do what the other 31 guys in the NFL do... prepare without excuses. It is fine to mention it but to bring it up and keep repeately going on and on is not worthy talk from an NFL head coach. I'm sure they all wish they had more padded practices. It just isn't used as a crutch by the other 31.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.