Poll Question: Suspension thoughts

Total: 13

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
To you, in comparison to other offenses and their suspensions.. was it enough? Too much?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Mike Neal got four game suspension for using Aderall for attention deficit disorder.

Ray Rice ASSAULTED someone and it was recorded via video. And this someone was a woman. He gets two games?

What Adam Silver did to Donald Sterling with the lifetime ban for just saying some stupid comments ... the NFL looks weak in comparison.

It should have been an 8 game suspension. Maybe first eight games or alternate.

This also plays right into my biggest gripe about the Sterling crap. No one said peep about his adultery. Most just accepted that's just what happens. That still pisses me off. The NBA didn't ban him for cheating on his wife, nope, they banned him because he said he didn't want his black mistress hanging around black guys and taking pictures with them. Truly a twisted society.

Neal gets four games for trying to handle ADD and Rice gets two games for physically assaulting his fiance.

btw, moved this to Packers because i mentioned Mike Neal and because.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
It seems kind of weak compared to the length of suspensions for other offenses especially considering it's not just a he said she said thing there's an actual video of it and the guy admitting to it.

I mean knocking a woman unconscious in an elevator by hitting her... That's way worse than snorting some adderall to get amped up for a game or smoking some weed during the offseason.
StarrMax1
9 years ago

Heard one of the "talking head" ESPN guys not defending Rice, but saying the video didn't actually show him hitting the lady, and that he might have been defending himself, whatever, bottom line she was knocked out.

Rice should be suspended, for a minimum of 8 games, I would have made it a year, then let him appeal.

Not good PR for the NFL Shield.

Ravens should take control of this and suspend him themselves, but that's not going to happen.

sschind
9 years ago
I still think suspensions for incidents not directly relating to the playing of the game are going to seem a bit less simply because some people still have the idea that it's really none of the leagues business what a player does off the field in the off season.

Aderall is a banned substance linked in many minds with PEDs which are designed to give players an unfair advantage over their competitors. This hurts not only the image of the NFL but the integrity of the game itself. It is seen as cheating and cheaters are usually looked down upon. While beating your wife or girlfriend may be the worse infraction it does not give a player and advantage over his peers so, while still being a blot on the NFL image it is not seen as detrimental to the actual playing of the game itself.

Obviously certain acts are so egregious they demand immediate and intense sanctions but others, though despicable, may be treated less severely simply because they do infringe on a players private lives where some people think the employer (the league) has no business being. Not that I am comparing the two but it would be rare for a factory worker to be fired or suspended for beating his wife.

OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I am biased...to me domestic violence is a form of bullying which should be punishablke by death. So no, I don't think two games is enough.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Report: “Impassioned plea” from Rice’s wife influenced Goodell 

No one knows what the wife of Ray Rice said to the Commissioner when she accompanied the Ravens running back to New York for his personal-conduct policy session. Whatever it was, it apparently helped Rice get a lesser penalty than most believe he deserved.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago
It matters not what the victim has to say in the way of trying to lessen the punishment of the offender. I don't know how domestic violence laws work in other states but here in Texas what the victim has to say about what happened has no bearing on the guy going to jail. IE: If the cops show up at a house and a woman has marks on her and she is pleading with the officer that her husband didn't do it, the guy is still going to jail in most cases as the law doesn't allow for the victim to not press charges.

Ray Rice should've been banned for life. Pete Rose gambled on his own team and got banned for life. Ray Rice did something that we all could see. There it was in black and white. Mike Vick was into dogfighting and his situation was so much more talked about than this. I realize his was a pattern. We don't know if Ray Rice has this pattern. Still, I think assaulting a human being is untold times worse than fighting dogs. Ray Rice should have a much bigger stigma than Mike Vick but he doesn't.

A bizarre world we live in. Shame on Goodell for listening to the wishes of Ray Rice's wife regardless of what they were. Of course, she wants that money a flowin' and her husband to not be punished. That is the usual behavior of victims of violence...to excuse the abuser. It is horrifying to hear a person in Goodell's role use the victim's wishes as justification for a light punishment. It shows he has no concept of domestic violence and just enabled it as a leser crime than taking a PED or smoking dope.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago
The league is not the criminal justice system. If you need just punishment, the courts are responsible for that. It isn't the NFLs responsibility.

The responsibility they have is to hold players accountable for getting into trouble off the field due to their contractual obligations.

An off field incident doesn't have a sliding scale of punishment fits the crime. It doesn't matter if he is suspected of hitting his fiance. Off field trouble is off field trouble.

If a player cheats for a game advantage by taking a banned substance or getting into trouble multiple times, they will face a stiffer punishment than a player who only got into trouble once.

That isn't a statement of what is worse. Smoking weed or beating a woman. It is a statement of get into trouble once, you get punished. Get into trouble more often, you get punished more.

If you get into legal trouble, but don't end up getting convicted of anything, do you get disciplined by your place of employment?

I couldn't care less what the NFL does to Rice, but his fiance should press charges. If she doesn't, there is nothing anyone can do about it. Missing even a whole season wouldn't be justice for that. A conviction in a court of law is the only thing that would do that for me.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

The league is not the criminal justice system. If you need just punishment, the courts are responsible for that. It isn't the NFLs responsibility.

The responsibility they have is to hold players accountable for getting into trouble off the field due to their contractual obligations.

An off field incident doesn't have a sliding scale of punishment fits the crime. It doesn't matter if he is suspected of hitting his fiance. Off field trouble is off field trouble.

If a player cheats for a game advantage by taking a banned substance or getting into trouble multiple times, they will face a stiffer punishment than a player who only got into trouble once.

That isn't a statement of what is worse. Smoking weed or beating a woman. It is a statement of get into trouble once, you get punished. Get into trouble more often, you get punished more.

If you get into legal trouble, but don't end up getting convicted of anything, do you get disciplined by your place of employment?

I couldn't care less what the NFL does to Rice, but his fiance should press charges. If she doesn't, there is nothing anyone can do about it. Missing even a whole season wouldn't be justice for that. A conviction in a court of law is the only thing that would do that for me.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Dex, I'm not sure that is how this works in the state in which the incident happened. In Texas, the woman has no choice...she can't decide that...it's decided for her to prevent the very thing Goodell claims he was influenced by. Most victims of domestic violence enable the behavior and will fight like crazy to keep the man who abused them criminally uncharged.

The NFL has a personal conduct policy which I think is a good thing. Domestic abuse should be way up there on the list of no no's. Where is dog fighting on the scale? It ain't worse than domestic violence against women but it was punished much more severely. That ain't right to say animal abuse is worse than abuse to humans...and by that I'm not saying animal abuse is no big deal, but relative to domestic violence it is.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (14h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (15h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.