uffda udfa
9 years ago

I can't say if I'd consider it a failure or not. I don't view a season that way, meaning you have to factor in coaching, health, luck, and execution, all factors we couldn't assess (yet). Raji demonstrated he's capable of playing at a high level, but if he fails this year, with the position change, that's on him. It's just one example of how it's difficult to attribute all success/failures at the feet of one coach or GM. Not to say you can't blame them for trends over time, I'm just saying why I couldn't say if I'd consider it ted's failure or not.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I'm talking about his entire tenure. If we don't reach another SB in the next two Ted Thompson seasons has his time in Green Bay been a failure? It's an absolute YES to me. To have the guy who could very well be the best ever to play QB and reach one SB is a monumental failure.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago

I'm talking about his entire tenure. If we don't reach another SB in the next two Ted Thompson seasons has his time in Green Bay been a failure? It's an absolute YES to me. To have the guy who could very well be the best ever to play QB and reach one SB is a monumental failure.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Even if the Packers do win another Super Bowl soon, you will likely be saying he's a failure because his team hasn't won three championships yet.

Dammit, I regressed and actually read one of your posts. I think it was just because it was so short I could read it while scrolling. My bad.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Even if the Packers do win another Super Bowl soon, you will likely be saying he's a failure because his team hasn't won three championships yet.

Dammit, I regressed and actually read one of your posts. I think it was just because it was so short I could read it while scrolling. My bad.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Ha! Shame on you, DP! No... a SuperBowl victory in the next two years, or even an appearance, and I'd call it successful. I'm not holding my breath as I'd look like a Vikings fan as purple as I'd be.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

dfosterf
9 years ago
He is squandering a once in a lifetime QB opportunity. He keeps jacking around with draft picks and not filling holes. We have been extraordinarily lucky with the QB position. To credit Ted Thompson with that is somewhat of a joke, as NO ONE knows what happens there... witness what the fool did last year regarding back-ups...

Ted is winging it. I think Mike McCarthy deservers far more credit than given. Ted seems mentally slow, to a scary degree. No one there to challenge it. We are asleep at the switch, by design. Being from Wisconsin can be embarrassing.
yooperfan
9 years ago
I think this should be the defining year for both Thompson and McCarthy.
If the Packers only go 1 and done or don't even make the playoffs, neither should be extended.
They will have proven to me that they are incapable of moving this team forward despite having the best QB in the game.
The Rodgers window is closing.
Only 1 Lombardi during Rodgers career would be a crime.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

He is squandering a once in a lifetime QB opportunity. He keeps jacking around with draft picks and not filling holes. We have been extraordinarily lucky with the QB position. To credit Ted Thompson with that is somewhat of a joke, as NO ONE knows what happens there... witness what the fool did last year regarding back-ups...

Ted is winging it. I think Mike McCarthy deservers far more credit than given. Ted seems mentally slow, to a scary degree. No one there to challenge it. We are asleep at the switch, by design. Being from Wisconsin can be embarrassing.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

You're squandering a once in a generation period of your teams stellar excellence. You keep jacking around thinking hindsight observation makes you more wise than those making the decisions prior to hindsight. To your credit, you keep watching, you keep following and you rooting for your team.

To answer the question of the topic. Yes, Ted Thompson should be extended. The evidence is all in favor of such a move. Any true Packers fan would understand.

[grin1] 😆 😳 [palm]
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

You're squandering a once in a generation period of your teams stellar excellence. You keep jacking around thinking hindsight observation makes you more wise than those making the decisions prior to hindsight. To your credit, you keep watching, you keep following and you rooting for your team.

To answer the question of the topic. Yes, Ted Thompson should be extended. The evidence is all in favor of such a move. Any true Packers fan would understand.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You don't like us calling each other names but you use the phrase "any true Packers fan" and that is probably the most insulting thing you can say to anyone on this forum, doubting their loyalty. You really don't think Uffda is a true Packers fan? I do, I don't agree with his line of thinking but I don't think that makes him any less of a Packer fan than you or me.

Whenever you say things that put a fan's sincerity into question it puts your own sincerity into question as far as I am concerned. Someone doesn't agree with what you say so you claim to be a better fan than they are. Not very classy IMO.

I certainly include Brett Favre's recent statement in that as well. He is saying a true fan would forgive and forget but how does he know how his actions affect other people. Some people are far more sensitive to those sorts of things. I don't blame them for holding a grudge. I don't agree with them but I understand where they are coming from and it doesn't make them false fans.
steveishere
9 years ago

Just think what this team is minus Aaron Rodgers when you hail TT's generally good performance. His generally good performance is actually pretty substandard minus him. Oh, I know... RC18, Finley and Clay were also out... 2-5-1. If not for the miracle at Dallas 1-6-1. Heck, we barely beat dreadful Atlanta in our yard...but we almost got the brutal Steelers so I suppose that evens one of them.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Well where the team was - Aaron Rodgers + Wallace/Tolzien was bad but where it was - Aaron Rodgers + Flynn not so bad. Ted goofed bad on the back up QB spot the last couple years but they were 2-2-1 with Flynn at QB last year and that's even with the other D injuries and whatnot. I don't think it's a stretch to believe they could have also won the Chicago and NY games if he were QBing too. It's not like Flynn is a juggernaut either this is a guy that nobody else wanted and lost a starting chance to Terrell Pryor and a back up job to Matt freakin' McGloin. The point is this team with at least semi-competent QB play isn't really as terrible as you are trying to say. It's just bad with awful QB play as any team would be.

Before you go there, I'm not excusing Ted for not having a competent back up QB last year I'm just pointing out that if we have one we aren't that bad.
Pack93z
9 years ago

You don't like us calling each other names but you use the phrase "any true Packers fan" and that is probably the most insulting thing you can say to anyone on this forum, doubting their loyalty. You really don't think Uffda is a true Packers fan? I do, I don't agree with his line of thinking but I don't think that makes him any less of a Packer fan than you or me.

Whenever you say things that put a fan's sincerity into question it puts your own sincerity into question as far as I am concerned. Someone doesn't agree with what you say so you claim to be a better fan than they are. Not very classy IMO.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I think this is a fair statement.. I can't tell if the statement was made in jest or not. Being it is foster.. I would guess that to be the case. But the statement is fair either way in this section. My opinion.

On Uffda.... I think the guy is a plant to stir debate. Taking the polar opposite stand on just about anything. [grin1] off
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
StarrMax1
9 years ago
😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Only 85 pages to go!!!!

(100 was my prediction by the time Ted's contract runs out, or when the inevitable happens and his contract is extended!!!

This is as much fun as predicting the Packers record every year.

I have enjoyed reading the opinions of the members who have posted in rebuttal, it is a lot easier surfing through this thread since I put the main combatant on ignore.

The simple question to ask is, who is available that would do a better job then Ted Thompson ????

I am betting Ted will decide to leave at the end of this contract, and unlike when Wolf left, the Upper management along with Ted will have an exit plan in place so The Packers will continue to compete for The Lombardi every year.