Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
17 Pages«<1314151617>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline uffda udfa  
#211 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:52:09 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I can't say if I'd consider it a failure or not. I don't view a season that way, meaning you have to factor in coaching, health, luck, and execution, all factors we couldn't assess (yet). Raji demonstrated he's capable of playing at a high level, but if he fails this year, with the position change, that's on him. It's just one example of how it's difficult to attribute all success/failures at the feet of one coach or GM. Not to say you can't blame them for trends over time, I'm just saying why I couldn't say if I'd consider it ted's failure or not.

I'm talking about his entire tenure. If we don't reach another SB in the next two Ted Thompson seasons has his time in Green Bay been a failure? It's an absolute YES to me. To have the guy who could very well be the best ever to play QB and reach one SB is a monumental failure.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#212 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:22:05 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,045
Applause Received: 514

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
I'm talking about his entire tenure. If we don't reach another SB in the next two Ted Thompson seasons has his time in Green Bay been a failure? It's an absolute YES to me. To have the guy who could very well be the best ever to play QB and reach one SB is a monumental failure.

Even if the Packers do win another Super Bowl soon, you will likely be saying he's a failure because his team hasn't won three championships yet.

Dammit, I regressed and actually read one of your posts. I think it was just because it was so short I could read it while scrolling. My bad.
Offline uffda udfa  
#213 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 5:07:05 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Applause Given: 149
Applause Received: 150

Originally Posted by: DoddPower Go to Quoted Post
Even if the Packers do win another Super Bowl soon, you will likely be saying he's a failure because his team hasn't won three championships yet.

Dammit, I regressed and actually read one of your posts. I think it was just because it was so short I could read it while scrolling. My bad.

Ha! Shame on you, DP! No... a SuperBowl victory in the next two years, or even an appearance, and I'd call it successful. I'm not holding my breath as I'd look like a Vikings fan as purple as I'd be.

UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline dfosterf  
#214 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:00:23 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 416

He is squandering a once in a lifetime QB opportunity. He keeps jacking around with draft picks and not filling holes. We have been extraordinarily lucky with the QB position. To credit Ted Thompson with that is somewhat of a joke, as NO ONE knows what happens there... witness what the fool did last year regarding back-ups...

Ted is winging it. I think Mike McCarthy deservers far more credit than given. Ted seems mentally slow, to a scary degree. No one there to challenge it. We are asleep at the switch, by design. Being from Wisconsin can be embarrassing.

Message modified by user Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:35:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
uffda udfa on 7/22/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#215 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:01:00 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 604
Applause Received: 275

I think this should be the defining year for both Thompson and McCarthy.
If the Packers only go 1 and done or don't even make the playoffs, neither should be extended.
They will have proven to me that they are incapable of moving this team forward despite having the best QB in the game.
The Rodgers window is closing.
Only 1 Lombardi during Rodgers career would be a crime.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#216 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:04:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
He is squandering a once in a lifetime QB opportunity. He keeps jacking around with draft picks and not filling holes. We have been extraordinarily lucky with the QB position. To credit Ted Thompson with that is somewhat of a joke, as NO ONE knows what happens there... witness what the fool did last year regarding back-ups...

Ted is winging it. I think Mike McCarthy deservers far more credit than given. Ted seems mentally slow, to a scary degree. No one there to challenge it. We are asleep at the switch, by design. Being from Wisconsin can be embarrassing.

You're squandering a once in a generation period of your teams stellar excellence. You keep jacking around thinking hindsight observation makes you more wise than those making the decisions prior to hindsight. To your credit, you keep watching, you keep following and you rooting for your team.

To answer the question of the topic. Yes, Ted Thompson should be extended. The evidence is all in favor of such a move. Any true Packers fan would understand.

Big Grin Laughing Shame on you Face. Palm.

Message modified by user Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:30:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#217 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:21:12 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 422

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You're squandering a once in a generation period of your teams stellar excellence. You keep jacking around thinking hindsight observation makes you more wise than those making the decisions prior to hindsight. To your credit, you keep watching, you keep following and you rooting for your team.

To answer the question of the topic. Yes, Ted Thompson should be extended. The evidence is all in favor of such a move. Any true Packers fan would understand.

You don't like us calling each other names but you use the phrase "any true Packers fan" and that is probably the most insulting thing you can say to anyone on this forum, doubting their loyalty. You really don't think Uffda is a true Packers fan? I do, I don't agree with his line of thinking but I don't think that makes him any less of a Packer fan than you or me.

Whenever you say things that put a fan's sincerity into question it puts your own sincerity into question as far as I am concerned. Someone doesn't agree with what you say so you claim to be a better fan than they are. Not very classy IMO.

I certainly include Brett Favre's recent statement in that as well. He is saying a true fan would forgive and forget but how does he know how his actions affect other people. Some people are far more sensitive to those sorts of things. I don't blame them for holding a grudge. I don't agree with them but I understand where they are coming from and it doesn't make them false fans.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
yooperfan on 7/23/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC), Zero2Cool on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#218 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:42:07 AM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 47
Applause Received: 963

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Just think what this team is minus Aaron Rodgers when you hail TT's generally good performance. His generally good performance is actually pretty substandard minus him. Oh, I know... RC18, Finley and Clay were also out... 2-5-1. If not for the miracle at Dallas 1-6-1. Heck, we barely beat dreadful Atlanta in our yard...but we almost got the brutal Steelers so I suppose that evens one of them.

Well where the team was - Aaron Rodgers + Wallace/Tolzien was bad but where it was - Aaron Rodgers + Flynn not so bad. Ted goofed bad on the back up QB spot the last couple years but they were 2-2-1 with Flynn at QB last year and that's even with the other D injuries and whatnot. I don't think it's a stretch to believe they could have also won the Chicago and NY games if he were QBing too. It's not like Flynn is a juggernaut either this is a guy that nobody else wanted and lost a starting chance to Terrell Pryor and a back up job to Matt freakin' McGloin. The point is this team with at least semi-competent QB play isn't really as terrible as you are trying to say. It's just bad with awful QB play as any team would be.

Before you go there, I'm not excusing Ted for not having a competent back up QB last year I'm just pointing out that if we have one we aren't that bad.
Offline Pack93z  
#219 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:00:45 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
You don't like us calling each other names but you use the phrase "any true Packers fan" and that is probably the most insulting thing you can say to anyone on this forum, doubting their loyalty. You really don't think Uffda is a true Packers fan? I do, I don't agree with his line of thinking but I don't think that makes him any less of a Packer fan than you or me.

Whenever you say things that put a fan's sincerity into question it puts your own sincerity into question as far as I am concerned. Someone doesn't agree with what you say so you claim to be a better fan than they are. Not very classy IMO.

I think this is a fair statement.. I can't tell if the statement was made in jest or not. Being it is foster.. I would guess that to be the case. But the statement is fair either way in this section. My opinion.

On Uffda.... I think the guy is a plant to stir debate. Taking the polar opposite stand on just about anything. Big Grin <HumorAttempt>off</HumorAttempt>
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline StarrMax1  
#220 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:14:32 AM(UTC)
StarrMax1

United States

Applause Given: 92
Applause Received: 84

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Only 85 pages to go!!!!

(100 was my prediction by the time Ted's contract runs out, or when the inevitable happens and his contract is extended!!!

This is as much fun as predicting the Packers record every year.

I have enjoyed reading the opinions of the members who have posted in rebuttal, it is a lot easier surfing through this thread since I put the main combatant on ignore.

The simple question to ask is, who is available that would do a better job then Ted Thompson ????

I am betting Ted will decide to leave at the end of this contract, and unlike when Wolf left, the Upper management along with Ted will have an exit plan in place so The Packers will continue to compete for The Lombardi every year.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#221 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:30:25 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post

First off, lets get this straight right out of the gate. I quoted dfosterf, not uffda in that comment and it was quite clear to me I was poking fun at him with being so over the top and out of character. I am the last person to question someones fanhood with any ounce of seriousness. Apparently though, it was NOT as clear as I thought and for that, I apologize to whomever could have been offended.

That being said, I firmly believe both dfosterf and uffda are loyal passionate fans and have probably been fans of the Green Bay Packers longer than I've been breathing the same air as them. And I do respect that.

But, life is short and if we don't and can't have a little fun from time to time, what is the point of anything at all?

Thank you for helping me clear this up for anyone who could have been confused.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#222 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:49:28 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

Originally Posted by: StarrMax1 Go to Quoted Post
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The simple question to ask is, who is available that would do a better job then Ted Thompson ????

This is the root of the question for me too. He's had misses, the Packers have weaknesses, but would going with another GM solve all issues at every position? SF has big questions in the secondary, Seattle on their O Line...you could go down any roster and find concerns going into camp.

Another thing that hasn't been stressed in this thread is player accountability.

Even some duds that haven't produced lately like Raji, have demonstrated they CAN produce at a high level. At what position are the Packers currently slim in players that have demonstrated they can produce at a high level? In my opinion center, safety, and then arguably ILB, and TE. There is proven talent at all other positions, and with this year's draft, in my own personal opinion I feel good about TE, S, and possibly even ILB. To me, that means Ted has for the most part fulfilled his responsibility, he's provided the supplies to build the house. It's now up to the coaches, training staff, and most importantly the players to produce.

Offline Pack93z  
#223 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:51:21 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

That being said, I firmly believe both dfosterf and uffda are loyal passionate fans and have probably been fans of the Green Bay Packers longer than I've been breathing the same air as them.

I hope you are not breathing the same air.. the CO2 levels might be elevated to a point in which clear thought may be difficult. Hmmmm. Big Grin

I personally have exhausted my input on this topic.. If I was signing the checks.. his name would be upon it.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#224 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:54:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I hope you are not breathing the same air.. the CO2 levels might be elevated to a point in which clear thought may be difficult. Hmmmm. Big Grin

I personally have exhausted my input on this topic.. If I was signing the checks.. his name would be upon it.

Interesting fact. The water you drink, you're not the first to have done so.

Applause Oh snap, am I derailing this derailed topic??
UserPostedImage
wpr on 7/23/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#225 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:40:00 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,031
Applause Received: 1,467

First off, lets get this straight right out of the gate. I quoted dfosterf, not uffda in that comment and it was quite clear to me I was poking fun at him with being so over the top and out of character. I am the last person to question someones fanhood with any ounce of seriousness. Apparently though, it was NOT as clear as I thought and for that, I apologize to whomever could have been offended.

That being said, I firmly believe both dfosterf and uffda are loyal passionate fans and have probably been fans of the Green Bay Packers longer than I've been breathing the same air as them. And I do respect that.

But, life is short and if we don't and can't have a little fun from time to time, what is the point of anything at all?

Thank you for helping me clear this up for anyone who could have been confused.

Actually I thought the same thing as sschind Offline I didn't respond so as to not get into trouble again.

Interesting fact- the website owner gave us all smilies to use at various times. Some actually indicate a degree of sarcasm in order to help the reader understand what the poster meant. But then they don't work at this time so I will go with the old standby icon :P

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed