uffda udfa
9 years ago

Yes, I am serious. I'm too lazy to look up specifics, but off of memory, most if not all of the players I listed were around 30 if not younger. I could list many other FA failures too, but my point is I don't see how FA is this silver bullet that you seem to be making it out to be.

As for bargain shopping, I like Vic Ketchman's article on Packers.com. I admit he's basically paid to write green and gold frosted articles, but one of the things he said during the Jarius Byrd situation is that the Packers are not an ideal destination for FAs - it's cold, small town, income tax unlike a few states with NFL teams - so to get a FA, in all likelihood you'll have to outbid most if not everyone else. Neither you nor I can know that for sure, but I tend to believe that he's correct, and under that assumption, in order to consistently dip into FA you'll be overpaying consistently as well. That's not a healthy way to sustain a franchise and long term success. Consequently, bargain hunting and green guys as you put it are a necessitated strategy in a market/franchise like Green Bay.

As for Seneca, no, I was not a fan of that or what Ted did with the backup last year. You're always going to have calculated risks on every team at some position, though. You're just not going to have All Pros at every position in a capped league. Last year was QB, this year it's center in my opinion and we have to hope it pans out.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Vic is a paid sycophant but I do agree with him that it is hard to land FA's in Green Bay relative to other cities. There are certain types who would actually prefer Green Bay over other destinations and I think Ted Thompson looks for them and favors them when drafting.

I do think winning it all in 2010 with the injury list and the locale our team hails from makes it the single most spectacular SB victory in the history of the SB save for maybe the Jets over the Colts. I think we can all agree shopping at a place like Goodwill can save you some money but that shouldn't be the only place you go to buy items you might need. How would you feel if Ted Thompson or our next GM used the same approach Ted Thompson used to solving our S, ILB, C and OL in finding the next franchise QB? Ted Thompson has failed in many key positions on this team over and over again... Rodgers covers those glaring mistakes up quite nicely because we're still a good team. As PFT noted and hasn't been addressed EVERYBODY KNOWS we need a better team around Rodgers...why don't you? A: Because...good is good enough to you and I'll never see eye to eye with you on that.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Simply put, the Packers cannot afford to take the high price free agent risks that teams with an owner can.

Example: Albert Haynesworth signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins on the first day of free agency. Two seasons with Redskins, 6.5 sacks in 20 games.

Do you have any financial clue what would that kind of swing and miss would do the Packers franchise? The Packers are the smallest market professional sports team. Think about that for a second. NBA. NHL. MLB. NFL. Packers have the smallest market. And it's by a landslide too. Then factor in the weather. How many people love the winter weather in Wisconsin?

It is somewhat mind boggling that some can think that this is monopoly money and go ahead spend big on this free agent because he did well in system X which differs from system Y which we have. But hey, it is a big name on that ESPN show so they must be great and they will blend in perfectly!

Free agency isn't simply pulling a guy onto your team and you instantly get those stats. It does not work that way. [palm]
UserPostedImage
musccy
9 years ago
It's not that I think good is good enough, I just feel Draft and develop has worked in GB and is debatably a necessity like zero just said. I don't see a lot of question marks on the team, mainly DE, C, and ILB...but every team has issues so I don't think the Packers can't be in contention in January if they stay healthy.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Simply put, the Packers cannot afford to take the high price free agent risks that teams with an owner can.

Example: Albert Haynesworth signed a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Washington Redskins on the first day of free agency. Two seasons with Redskins, 6.5 sacks in 20 games.

Do you have any financial clue what would that kind of swing and miss would do the Packers franchise? The Packers are the smallest market professional sports team. Think about that for a second. NBA. NHL. MLB. NFL. Packers have the smallest market. And it's by a landslide too. Then factor in the weather. How many people love the winter weather in Wisconsin?

It is somewhat mind boggling that some can think that this is monopoly money and go ahead spend big on this free agent because he did well in system X which differs from system Y which we have. But hey, it is a big name on that ESPN show so they must be great and they will blend in perfectly!

Free agency isn't simply pulling a guy onto your team and you instantly get those stats. It does not work that way. [palm]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You do realize there is revenue sharing and the Packers get an equal piece of the pie? It's the ONLY reason we're able to hang in the NFL at all.

You're saying...don't swing because you might miss? Well, I'm sure glad we didn't have that philosophy when Reggie White was a free agent or the Favre years would've ended ringless...and Reggie wasn't all Ron Wolf brought to this franchise to get us over the hump.

I can imagine most of you as Bucs fans back in the Dungy years. Oh, we're happy being in the playoffs but never winning it all. Uh, not what Tampa was thinking... they put their foot down and wanted it all...not just good enough. Enter Gruden... World Champions. Oftentimes, it takes big balls to get where you want to go in life. Many don't have the stomach for it and are content with just good. That's fine in life if that's how you want to live but not in sports where the quest is for championships. There ain't nothin' else to be watching for to me... the hope you can get there. That is what Aaron Rodgers gives everyone...he alone is not enough.

This thread has shown that most fans here are perfectly content with the plodding not quite good enough ways we're being operated. I've not seen one legitimate reason for us not to be more aggressive.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago
Actually I think GB pays into revenue sharing because they are more profitable than a lot of other teams. The difference is there isn't a huge pool of money to pull from to actually pay guys if needed. We don't have some deep pockets owner to foot the bill when we give some guy 30-40m guaranteed. All the money to pay players has to be saved up and taken care of and spent wisely.
musccy
9 years ago

This thread has shown that most fans here are perfectly content with the plodding not quite good enough ways we're being operated. I've not seen one legitimate reason for us not to be more aggressive.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

To me it has nothing to do with being content with good enough, it's about managing risk and attempting to maximize value.

WR for the Packers is a good example of this working. The Packers have lost one of their best WRs each of the last 3 years but have not skipped a beat. Jennings and Jones will be making roughly 12 million elsewhere while the Packers will likely match their production for about 10 mil less out of Cobb and Boykin. The team will likely lose at least one key WR next year, but with the holdovers (Myles White, etc.) and 3 draft picks, you hopefully don't skip a beat again, without having to spend the big bucks.

It hasn't always worked as we've seen at some positions, but it's not about not wanting to win, it's about not wanting to put too many eggs in one or two baskets.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Actually I think GB pays into revenue sharing because they are more profitable than a lot of other teams. The difference is there isn't a huge pool of money to pull from to actually pay guys if needed. We don't have some deep pockets owner to foot the bill when we give some guy 30-40m guaranteed. All the money to pay players has to be saved up and taken care of and spent wisely.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

That's great but what does that have to do with not being aggressive? Again, the whole don't swing because we might miss? We should just shop at Goodwill because we're such a "poor" franchise in many's mind?

Why in the world did we ever pursue Reggie White... the stadium wasn't pulling in the money like it is today. White being a Packer was one of the single greatest days in franchise history. That singular day served notice to the NFL that the Green Bay Packers were going for it all. What a day. What a glorious day. Now, we have greater revenue streams and it is being preached and promoted that the poor pitiful Packers just can't afford to go for it??????

Don't pay Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson if we're so short on cash...find some cheap GM and HC talent and save some shekels there. If we're so short on cash and need to do "smart things" then why did we give big money to a guy with health concerns like Matthews? We should've just let Clay walk and replaced him with the next Andy Mulumba or Frank Zombo to save money because we paid Aaron so much. In fact, since I've heard Matt Flynn is Aaron's equal we should've just sought out Matt and let Aaron leave as a FA, because we're just too destitute to compete.

My goodness you guys have a depressing view of this franchise. Just a poor weak sister of the NFL that should feel lucky it's able to be even good. No wonder there isn't this desire to be great...we should be dancing circles we're even able to compete at all?
UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
9 years ago

You're saying...don't swing because you might miss? Well, I'm sure glad we didn't have that philosophy when Reggie White was a free agent or the Favre years would've ended ringless...and Reggie wasn't all Ron Wolf brought to this franchise to get us over the hump.

I am saying, and it is quite clear what I am saying, is that the Packers have to be more fiscally wise than other teams. How many Reggie White's have there been in Free Agency? lol nice example.

Brett Favre would have been Jeff George 2.0 if it weren't for Mike Holmgren. Another great example that helps prove my point.

Another factoid that you cleverly omit in your mentioning of Favre. The Packers went into the 1992 with the 5th and 19th overall picks trading the latter.

Helluva lot easier to trade the 19th overall pick for a QB that you are confident that is going to be your franchise when you got the 5th overall sitting in your jacket now isn't it? Suddenly when the facts are exposed, it wasn't so risky.

Reggie White - when has a player of his talent or skill or promise hit free agency?
Brett Favre - packers needed QB, had two 1st round picks and a GM who felt confident Favre was "it"

Charles Woodson and the 2009 draft make me feel confident that if White and/or Favre were available in the same exact situations, he'd have pulled the trigger.

I did like Ron Wolf's approach and would like to see Ted Thompson venture out more. That doesn't mean I think he should be replaced unless the brass KNOWS they have someone gooder. You remember Mike Sherman? He took a lot of risks and it screwed the Packers over. I bet you loved the Sherman days and winning the "offseason" wet your fan appetite. Not me.

Famously, I bemoaned the Greg Jennings pick. I wanted Chad Jackson, thanks to the talking ESPN heads and my college ignorance. It was that season I realized to put more trust into Thompson's decisions. I also educated myself on the process of free agency and all the variables that go into it.

Even with that, I wanted the Packers to spend extra to get Chris Canty when they switched over to 3 - 4. Probably a good decision not to have done that.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I am saying, and it is quite clear what I am saying, is that the Packers have to be more fiscally wise than other teams. How many Reggie White's have there been in Free Agency? lol nice example.

Brett Favre would have been Jeff George 2.0 if it weren't for Mike Holmgren. Another great example that helps prove my point.

Another factoid that you cleverly omit in your mentioning of Favre. The Packers went into the 1992 with the 5th and 19th overall picks trading the latter.

Helluva lot easier to trade the 19th overall pick for a QB that you are confident that is going to be your franchise when you got the 5th overall sitting in your jacket now isn't it? Suddenly when the facts are exposed, it wasn't so risky.

Reggie White - when has a player of his talent or skill or promise hit free agency?
Brett Favre - packers needed QB, had two 1st round picks and a GM who felt confident Favre was "it"

Charles Woodson and the 2009 draft make me feel confident that if White and/or Favre were available in the same exact situations, he'd have pulled the trigger.

I did like Ron Wolf's approach and would like to see Ted Thompson venture out more. That doesn't mean I think he should be replaced unless the brass KNOWS they have someone gooder. You remember Mike Sherman? He took a lot of risks and it screwed the Packers over. I bet you loved the Sherman days and winning the "offseason" wet your fan appetite. Not me.

Famously, I bemoaned the Greg Jennings pick. I wanted Chad Jackson, thanks to the talking ESPN heads and my college ignorance. It was that season I realized to put more trust into Thompson's decisions. I also educated myself on the process of free agency and all the variables that go into it.

Even with that, I wanted the Packers to spend extra to get Chris Canty when they switched over to 3 - 4. Probably a good decision not to have done that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

So, Jeff George would've been Brett Favre 2.0 if Mike Holmgren coached him? These are opinions and have no basis in reality. Nobody knows how Favre's career would've gone elsewhere, although, I do agree he had some great potential to bust without a strong figure due to his headstrong ways.

I'm confused? What facts have been exposed? I was talking about Reggie and the Favre trade comes up in reply?

Someone please tell when Mike Sherman won any off-season? Are you referring to Joe Johnson? The guy who tore up his triceps right off the bat? I don't know what else you could be referring to? Sherman wasn't a crazy spender. He did get Al Harris for a 2nd... how dare he waste a precious 2nd rounder! Ted Thompson would be dealing 6th and 7th's and getting much lesser players.

There aren't many Reggie White's...but supposedly we were in for Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez and Marshawn Lynch and each time wouldn't give up high enough picks to bring the guys in. All 3 of those guys would've been worth a pick higher up the food chain to get them in here.
Ted Thompson has a plan to be good and hopes for the anomalous run every so many years. What a waste to have the best QB in the NFL and not do enough. Anyone care to refute the PFT.com blurb about EVERYONE KNOWS... none of you guys seem to know. That is what drives me batty...there are objective perceptions of this franchise not doing enough to help it's star and many of you are battling like crazy trying to prove that what we're doing is right? It ain't right and anyone objective knows that.

EDIT: Here it is, again... the piece went on to allege Rodgers was taking shots at management the same way Woodson did when he was here. We simply don't do enough...objective observers know it, the players know it, but you don't know it?

Profootballtalk.com on Green Bay's 5th overall rating in their pre-season power ratings:

They’d be even higher if Rodgers had the help that other franchise quarterbacks enjoy. Specifically on defense. And everyone knows it. Maybe that’s why recent remarks from Rodgers that easily could have been interpreted as a slap at the front office and/or the locker room didn’t ruffle many feathers.

UserPostedImage

musccy
9 years ago

There aren't many Reggie White's...but supposedly we were in for Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez and Marshawn Lynch and each time wouldn't give up high enough picks to bring the guys in. All 3 of those guys would've been worth a pick higher up the food chain to get them in here.

Ted Thompson has a plan to be good and hopes for the anomalous run every so many years. What a waste to have the best QB in the NFL and not do enough.

For the most part Marshawn, Moss, and Gonzalez worked out, but the Packers stuck to what they thought was the right value for S. Jackson last offseason and thank God we didn't get him because the Packers are in a MUCH better place at RB than ATL right now.

Ted is not trying to waste Aaron's years, he's all about sticking to his guns on the value he assigns players. That doesn't mean he's not aggressive, he has moved up in the draft when he felt the value was correct (e.g. CM3) and periodically spent in FA, but again, when it's at the right value. If anything I feel that's BETTER for Aaron, you're not making any hasty moves to jeopardize good years. What if we pissed away big dollars on Paul Kruger, S. Jackson? Would you or Rodgers want that dead weight on the team right now?

Like zero said, this is not a competition to see how many of Mel Kiper's or ESPN's top rated FAs you can add to your roster each season.

EDIT: Also, as to your quotes about every franchise QB getting more support - would you rather have had the Patriot's or Packer's receiving group last year?