uffda udfa
9 years ago
Hawk and Matthews... two moves of TT's that deserve scrutiny. Hawk has been nothing close to what a 5th overall pick should give to you. Your MLB or now one of your ILB's SHOULD lead your team in tackles. Who else?

Hawk should've never been given the contract he was given after our SB victory. I'm hoping this is his last season with us... too much dead money to cut and they surely wouldn't after he finally started playing last year, finally. No turnover plays in 2.5 seasons??? That is almost impossible to be that unproductive in that area.

Matthews is no doubt a force. He is also an injury riddled one. If we hadn't paid him someone surely would've but the question is was it wise to dump that kind of money into a guy who is that injury prone? Yeah, it'll be nice having him for a few games next season. Always with hammy issues and now a thumb that could end his career. Just a shame. We have so little star power (only Rodgers and Matthews) and half of it is unlikely to play a full season year after year.

It'd be nice to get a Woodson type impact player in FA who wasn't close to the end so we could enjoy him for several seasons because we've had such a tough time drafting defensive talent.

I wonder how many games we'll get out of Clay this season before some injury happens and he's either out for the season or for several games that are important to us.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Hawk and Matthews... two moves of TT's that deserve scrutiny. Hawk has been nothing close to what a 5th overall pick should give to you. Your MLB or now one of your ILB's SHOULD lead your team in tackles. Who else?

Hawk should've never been given the contract he was given after our SB victory. I'm hoping this is his last season with us... too much dead money to cut and they surely wouldn't after he finally started playing last year, finally. No turnover plays in 2.5 seasons??? That is almost impossible to be that unproductive in that area.

Matthews is no doubt a force. He is also an injury riddled one. If we hadn't paid him someone surely would've but the question is was it wise to dump that kind of money into a guy who is that injury prone? Yeah, it'll be nice having him for a few games next season. Always with hammy issues and now a thumb that could end his career. Just a shame. We have so little star power (only Rodgers and Matthews) and half of it is unlikely to play a full season year after year.

It'd be nice to get a Woodson type impact player in FA who wasn't close to the end so we could enjoy him for several seasons because we've had such a tough time drafting defensive talent.

I wonder how many games we'll get out of Clay this season before some injury happens and he's either out for the season or for several games that are important to us.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I would argue that Hawk is exactly what I want in a #5 pick. He has been someone you can pencil in as a starter every week, every year. Flashy? No. Maybe not even significantly above average. But consistent. He has missed 2 games in 8 years. Isn't that what you need from a #1?

Matthews is now averaging 14 games/ yr. and the trend is not getting better. He missed way more games last year than Hawk has in his entire career.

I believe that Matthew's injuries are one reason we now have Peppers. Ted Thompson realized he needed another impact player to passrush in all the games Clay misses. So how much money is invested in the passrusher position now?
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I would argue that Hawk is exactly what I want in a #5 pick. He has been someone you can pencil in as a starter every week, every year. Flashy? No. Maybe not even significantly above average. But consistent. He has missed 2 games in 8 years. Isn't that what you need from a #1?

Matthews is now averaging 14 games/ yr. and the trend is not getting better. He missed way more games last year than Hawk has in his entire career.

I believe that Matthew's injuries are one reason we now have Peppers. Ted Thompson realized he needed another impact player to passrush in all the games Clay misses. So how much money is invested in the passrusher position now?

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

That is what you want from a 5th overall pick? Mediocrity? You get so few chances to draft that high... one time in several decades in the top 5 and that is the guy we got? I truly don't understand what I'm reading here from some of you. Hawk is an absolute JOKE as a 5th overall. Had he been a 4th rounder then I'd be fine with it. That is the kind of player he's been...a 4th round type. The fact you have to talk about injuries to validate him shows how little else there is to say about him. Every MLB or ILB tackle totals are high. They should be...that is the function of the middle of your D as a LB...making tackles. If you make them 5 yards down the field consistently that ain't good but you can run and scream that he's made a bunch of them. The guy went 2.5 SEASONS without a splash play...that is almost impossible with luck and all on your side to make at least one.

AJ Hawk has been nothing short of a major disappointment and has a contract that is insane for what he brings to this team.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
9 years ago

That is what you want from a 5th overall pick? Mediocrity? You get so few chances to draft that high... one time in several decades in the top 5 and that is the guy we got? I truly don't understand what I'm reading here from some of you. Hawk is an absolute JOKE as a 5th overall. Had he been a 4th rounder then I'd be fine with it. That is the kind of player he's been...a 4th round type. The fact you have to talk about injuries to validate him shows how little else there is to say about him. Every MLB or ILB tackle totals are high. They should be...that is the function of the middle of your D as a LB...making tackles. If you make them 5 yards down the field consistently that ain't good but you can run and scream that he's made a bunch of them. The guy went 2.5 SEASONS without a splash play...that is almost impossible with luck and all on your side to make at least one.

AJ Hawk has been nothing short of a major disappointment and has a contract that is insane for what he brings to this team.

You're not going to be alone or ostracized in this argument. Hell, we might even get Uncle Buck to rejoin us with his Hawk love.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago
The thing is, I'm over him not living up to the bill of being a #5 overall draft pick. What I'm not thrilled is his salary doesn't really match up with his play.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Say what you want about Matthews and his injuries, but he came back early last year with a broken thumb, cut the last off before he should have and THAT is why he re broke the thumb. I'll take that guy every time.

The reason we have Peppers is because he was willing to accept Ted's offer, plain and simple. Ted's not breaking the bank. He's doing what he always does. Peppers was merely willing to go along with it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
9 years ago

Say what you want about Matthews and his injuries, but he came back early last year with a broken thumb, cut the last off before he should have and THAT is why he re broke the thumb. I'll take that guy every time.

The reason we have Peppers is because he was willing to accept Ted's offer, plain and simple. Ted's not breaking the bank. He's doing what he always does. Peppers was merely willing to go along with it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Peppers came for a shot at the title. He knows better than anybody what we have at quarterback.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Peppers came for a shot at the title. He knows better than anybody what we have at quarterback.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

So, ... what you're saying is Julius Peppers is aware Aaron Rodgers = statwhore??
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

So Hayward and Perry are less disappointing players? Both high draft picks. Hayward and Perry have certainly made some impact plays.

A player is supposed to play. Hawk does that. Every game. Who's his backup? Doesn't matter. All of us know who Clay's backup is as he will be playing prominent minutes.

In 2006 draft, Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Vince Young and D'Brickashaw Ferguson were picked above AJ. Williams has had injury issues and is not on the same team that drafted him. Bush is on his 3rd team and has never lived up to expectations. Young was a bad pick to start with. Ferguson has been solid for the Jets.

From the Packer standpoint, I would say that Hawk is a better pick than Bush or Young. About even with Williams and behind Ferguson. Either the entire draft is a disappointment or your standards are too high.

The player picked #5 in 2005 was Cadillac Williams. Is he headed to the HOF? He only played 2 complete seasons. Was injured or bad the other 5. Averaged only 3.8 yds/ carry. 4,038 yards in 7 seasons or 577/ year. If that is the standard for #5 picks, AJ is awesome!

The player picked #5 in 2007 was Levi Brown. He is currently out of the league. He played 81 games in 7 years with the Cardinals and Steelers. Just 4 games in the last 2 years. No post season honors. Nothing remarkable at all. Just average when not injured. Essentially, he was an average player for 5 years. AJ has been average for 8. Which is better?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.