Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline packerfanoutwest  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:23:44 AM(UTC)
packerfanoutwest

Applause Received: 18

LombardiAve wrote:
Over the course of the past couple of days you've heard the news out of the Green Bay Packers camp about the decision not to retire Brett Favre's jersey number this year — for a number of vague and innocuous reasons — with the most mentioned being that everyone's afraid the fans will boo. What?
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 7:28:12 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,892
Applause Received: 2,089

I haven't thought of it as an excuse, more so a valid reason. I'd say the best solution is to do it at Lambeau Field before the season starts. Pack the stands. Then play 20 minutes of Brett's best moments on an off the field to pump up the crowd and then have Brett come running out of the tunnel raising his helmet high with one hand.

UserPostedImage
Offline mi_keys  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:42:34 AM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 345

I think I heard Favre might still come up for a game this year. I think that would be a good first step. There's no rush in retiring his number. We all know it's going to happen and more likely sooner rather than later. In the meantime, why not come back up for a game and during warmups or half time he can come out and wave to the fans and all that jazz.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Online wpr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:20:57 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,896
Applause Received: 1,406

He needs to come back a few times before they retire the jersey. Otherwise he looks a little mercenary. Be a friend first before the marriage so to speak.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 2 applause.
StarrMax1 on 7/12/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline DoddPower  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:40:37 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,963
Applause Received: 471

I think it's time. I have moved on and forgiven the guy. Just like a bitter break up, I'm not going to dwell on the past. I'd rather focus on the great moments, and there were MANY. I understand why both sides did what they did. They both made some mistakes in how they went about it, but I can understand why the Packers wanted to move on, and I can understand why Favre wanted to keep playing. Everything else is just immature crap that I don't care about anymore. I'd love for Favre to be welcomed back into the "Packers family," so to speak. As I have said multiple times before, it would be good for everyone. And I was as pissed at Favre as anyone. I pretty much "hated" the guy for a while. But I get over things, as should Favre, the Packers organization, and Packers fans, imo. But I know a bunch of idiots are going to still hate on the guy and boo him. But from my perspective, they are only making themselves look silly and small, no one else.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
wpr on 7/12/2014(UTC), sschind on 7/13/2014(UTC), yooperfan on 7/14/2014(UTC), porky88 on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:39:14 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 412

I wonder if LeBron will be booed in Cleveland? I think every Cavaliers fan wanted to lynch him when he left. How much you want to bet they all got over it yesterday?
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:52:17 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,492
Applause Received: 624

f*ck Favre.

If anything, he's gonna have to come out in the press and say great things about Aaron and Ted for a whole year before he even thinks about showing his face.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:52:27 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 286
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
f*ck Favre.

If anything, he's gonna have to come out in the press and say great things about Aaron and Ted for a whole year before he even thinks about showing his face.

I don't really care that Favre played for the Vikings. It king of turned out exactly like I thought it would. They were welcomed to it.

But I very much disagree with Favre getting his jersey retired. He wasn't the 6th best Packer player ever. I think he doesn't deserve it any more than William Henderson or LeRoy Butler would.

He is not responsible for turning the team around. That was happening before he got here. He really didn't do much until Reggie and the D were great. Wolf, Harlan, Holmgren and White were more responsible for the mid '90s than Favre.

When they left, Favre didn't take the team anywhere and basically became an average QB. If Favre was the one responsible for getting them to the top, they should have stayed on top after the ones I think are responsible left.

I do think Favre was a very good QB. I think he was a HOF QB and belongs on the Ring Of Honor. I just don't think he was a good enough player or a good enough person.

After all he did run to the rest of the NFCN and decode his playbook to sabotage the team after he left.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
DakotaT on 7/13/2014(UTC), wpr on 7/13/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:18:02 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 650
Applause Received: 1,338

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post

I do think Favre was a very good QB. I think he was a HOF QB and belongs on the Ring Of Honor. I just don't think he was a good enough player or a good enough person.

After all he did run to the rest of the NFCN and decode his playbook to sabotage the team after he left.

He really did do some despicable things, as any petulant athlete diva would. I don't think egotistical people can ever really be sorry for anything because they don't think they did anything wrong in the first place. The NFL is going to force this little retirement thing down the throats of the Packers before he is inducted into the Hall of Fame. I just as soon wait until the year before he goes in. If Favre wasn't such a doucebag in his private life, I might think a little differently about him. But then I didn't demigod the guy like some other posters have, so my opinion is a little different then theirs would be.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:21:17 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

You're willing to chastise Brett Favre for things that you don't know if they happened to previous players? You're okay with that bias? What I'm getting at is, other players certainly did far worse and went under the radar due to pre-Twitter, pre-Facebook, pre-Social Media and certainly pre-Internet.

Imagine the stories about say Babe Ruth, or Paul Hornung if in today's world. Would you and do you hold them equally accountable?

UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:35:27 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 286
Applause Received: 266

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You're willing to chastise Brett Favre for things that you don't know if they happened to previous players? You're okay with that bias? What I'm getting at is, other players certainly did far worse and went under the radar due to pre-Twitter, pre-Facebook, pre-Social Media and certainly pre-Internet.

Imagine the stories about say Babe Ruth, or Paul Hornung if in today's world. Would you and do you hold them equally accountable?

Curly Lambeau did the same kinds of things.

Look how long it took honor him. And he founded, played on, coached and owned the team. Favre was just a good QB on a great team.

His behavior is only half of it. I don't think Favre was good enough or important enough.

That is also a weak argument. I don't know what they did, so in case they did sabotaged their teams, walk out on them 3 times and tried to force them over the salary cap and roster limit, we should give Favre a pass.

My oldest kid might have gotten away with sneaking out with the car when he was 15, so I should just tell my youngest that it is OK for him to do it? Even though I have no reason to think he actually did.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 7/14/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 7:40:08 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Curly Lambeau did the same kinds of things.

Look how long it took honor him. And he founded, played on, coached and owned the team. Favre was just a good QB on a great team.

His behavior is only half of it. I don't think Favre was good enough or important enough.

That is also a weak argument. I don't know what they did, so in case they did sabotaged their teams, walk out on them 3 times and tried to force them over the salary cap and roster limit, we should give Favre a pass.

My oldest kid might have gotten away with sneaking out with the car when he was 15, so I should just tell my youngest that it is OK for him to do it? Even though I have no reason to think he actually did.

You don't know that Brett Favre sabotaged the Packers either, yet you condemn him for it.
UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 5:40:26 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,896
Applause Received: 1,406

Favre is worse than Ruth and Hornung combined. The internet says so and the internet is never wrong.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 5:58:27 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Favre is worse than Ruth and Hornung combined. The internet says so and the internet is never wrong.

The internet says you owe me $3,104.27 - you know my paypal, send transfer soon, k thanks.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:22:42 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,492
Applause Received: 624

You don't know that Brett Favre sabotaged the Packers either, yet you condemn him for it.

Favre was blackmailed to take a dive for the Strahan record and for ALL THOSE PLAYOFF GAMES. We know now how blackmailable he was.

That looks about as real as this:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”