uffda udfa
9 years ago
The rumblings are out there that Murphy wants to extend TT. Do you want to see this happen?

There are various ways to go with this one and hopefully we can get into all of the offshoots of what deciding to or not means for this organization.

My initial reaction is NO. I don't want to see him extended. He seems tired and past his expiration date. The NFL is a horrible grind even for the single.

I would be invigorated by a new direction. Ted Thompson is so robotic that he's a hard guy to warm up to as one of the faces of our franchise. It'd be nice to see our franchise go for it a little bit more. I'm not talking becoming the Redskins or Raiders, just a little more urgency to win it every year instead of trying to keep the team above .500 for the long haul. A down year, or two, is worth winning one every once in awhile.

No more, TT. Thank you for your years of service and making the one pick that defined your tenure...Aaron Rodgers. Enjoy retirement, or maybe we could retain you in some kind of scouting consultant role.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Yerko
9 years ago
I am a huge believer in what Ted Thompson does and what he has done for this organization. He's a straight-shooter and sticks to his beliefs on what makes a successful football team.
He just did an interview recently asking about how long he wants to do this (or something along those lines) and he said he was not done. No retirement needed.

Extend him.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
Uffda really like to stir the pot, gotta love it. Uncle Ted stays for as long as we have Rodgers, then after that we can have our huge shake-up.

BUT, for being a former NFL linebacker, he sure is having a hard time finding quality linebackers to play a 3-4 defence. Epic fail in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Uffda really like to stir the pot, gotta love it. Uncle Ted stays for as long as we have Rodgers, then after that we can have our huge shake-up.

BUT, for being a former NFL linebacker, he sure is having a hard time finding quality linebackers to play a 3-4 defence. Epic fail in my opinion.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Elliot Wolf isn't ready yet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
9 years ago

The rumblings are out there that Murphy wants to extend TT. Do you want to see this happen?

There are various ways to go with this one and hopefully we can get into all of the offshoots of what deciding to or not means for this organization.

My initial reaction is NO. I don't want to see him extended. He seems tired and past his expiration date. The NFL is a horrible grind even for the single.

I would be invigorated by a new direction. Ted Thompson is so robotic that he's a hard guy to warm up to as one of the faces of our franchise. It'd be nice to see our franchise go for it a little bit more. I'm not talking becoming the Redskins or Raiders, just a little more urgency to win it every year instead of trying to keep the team above .500 for the long haul. A down year, or two, is worth winning one every once in awhile.

No more, TT. Thank you for your years of service and making the one pick that defined your tenure...Aaron Rodgers. Enjoy retirement, or maybe we could retain you in some kind of scouting consultant role.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Unless he trades for Jimmy Graham right?[grin1]

I don't care if our GM is a guy you can warm up to. I don't need to warm up to him, he is not my friend. All I ask of him is to build a competitve team year in and year out and for the most part he has done that. Do I like everything he has done? Of course not but there are few teams that have had what the Packers have had inthe time that Ted has been our GM and I feel he has done a superior job.

As fans we tend to see things a little more strongly one way or the other. We love him and he can do no wrong or we hate him and he screws everything up. That is why listening to fans is probably not the best way to get an accurate assesment. if you ask those people who have no vested interest in the Packers but still know a lot about football (yeah, I mean the experts) they will probably put Thompson in the top 5 of GMs and I agree

To piggyback on your question though if I may. If Thompson is extended chances are almost certain that McCarthy will be as well. If you don't like McCarthy perhaps you would be willing to sacrifice Thompson to get rid of him.

I guess the question is do you want to go with the devil you know or the devil you don't know. There is no guarantee that whoever replaces him will be as effective (even his last name is Wolf) and IMO odds are he won't be as successfull so I say keep him around.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Unless he trades for Jimmy Graham right?[grin1]

I don't care if our GM is a guy you can warm up to. I don't need to warm up to him, he is not my friend. All I ask of him is to build a competitve team year in and year out and for the most part he has done that. Do I like everything he has done? Of course not but there are few teams that have had what the Packers have had inthe time that Ted has been our GM and I feel he has done a superior job.

As fans we tend to see things a little more strongly one way or the other. We love him and he can do no wrong or we hate him and he screws everything up. That is why listening to fans is probably not the best way to get an accurate assesment. if you ask those people who have no vested interest in the Packers but still know a lot about football (yeah, I mean the experts) they will probably put Thompson in the top 5 of GMs and I agree

To piggyback on your question though if I may. If Thompson is extended chances are almost certain that McCarthy will be as well. If you don't like McCarthy perhaps you would be willing to sacrifice Thompson to get rid of him.

I guess the question is do you want to go with the devil you know or the devil you don't know. There is no guarantee that whoever replaces him will be as effective (even his last name is Wolf) and IMO odds are he won't be as successfull so I say keep him around.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Oh, how the drafting of Aaron Rodgers has covered a multitude of sins. The mileage Ted Thompson has gotten out of one draft pick has masked multiple failings of his. We all saw last year what our franchise is minus a superstar QB and it isn't pretty at all. The unprecedented run of QB brilliance is nearing it's end. I'm sure Ted Thompson is well aware of that. If he agrees to an extension I'm sure it will align with the end of Aaron Rodgers time here.

The Packers cupboard is a lot more bare than anyone here would ever want to let on. Last year was a real wake up call as an in season return to what life before Brett and Aaron was on full display.

I'm not a big Mike McCarthy fan although he's grown on me a little. I find him to possess a false toughness trying hard to exude the Pittsburgh vibe we were promised when we "stole" him as O. Coord of the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL.

Oh, yes, the TT/MM pairing has been successful in gigantic part to Aaron Rodgers. My 2nd favorite Ted Thompson move since coming aboard was his slamming the door on our egomaniacal former QB. He made a very tough PR move for the good of this franchise. I applaud and will always admire that.

The big mistake this franchise made was the exit plan after Holmgren's exodus. If I get my wish and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy go I hope we bring in a big time coach and GM. Another Mike Sherman type hire and I will go insane. You could point to Sherman years as successful going by overall record, but, again, like TT/MM Sherman was propped up by Brett Favre. No doubt Wolf and Holmgren were by Brett as well, but Wolf added key pieces via FA that brought us to back to back SB's which is a very difficult feat especially in this cap era.

I'd love to see a tough fiery HC like a Jim Harbaugh and a passionate personality plus type for GM ala Ron Wolf that likes to go for it when he smells blood. The combo now thinks good enough is good enough. I want the type that realizes good enough is not good enough unless we win it all and everything revolves around that not just trying to be "competitive" year after year. I believe it was Ted Thompson who said years ago he was trying to provide a winning foundation year after year and if they could get one every once in awhile that would be great. The goal was to be consistently competitive not to win it all. Our Packer tradition once was and should be all about: Winning isn't everything it's the only thing. That sadly seems to apply to the regular season only in Green Bay. Just be above .500 and take your chances with your star QB in the playoffs. Not good enough for me.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

StarrMax1
9 years ago
Ted Thompson deserves an extension if he wants one.

His record speaks for itself.

I'm gonna need someone to post a 9 year study by a reputables source, along with 7 - 10 articles spelling out how Ted Thompson has left the cupboard bare, and at least 5 quotes from the "Talking head " so -called experts that Ted should not be extended.

Until I see these things, since nobody but huffy duffy's opinion matters anymore, I am going to stay with my already stated opinion that Yes Ted Thompson deserves to be extended.

Can't wait to see how many pages it takes for me too change my opinion, but one thing I am sure of, it will happen!!!!!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
If you don't feel wrong, already, I have failed. :(

What is interesting to me is Mike Sherman had a better winning percentage as GM vs. TT. The real differentiator between the two is Sherman never drafted a star like Rodgers and Ted Thompson did.
I don't think Ted Thompson would be in Green Bay, today, minus that Rodgers selection, but the fact is he made the pick and is entitled to all the credit.

I think the winning % speaks to the idea that both Sherman and Ted Thompson were benefactors of having star QB's. The Packers are a well below .500 team minus Aaron Rodgers. 2-5-1 without him...but I realize other key guys were hurt, too. Point is we could put Mike Sherman back as GM and get the same results we're getting with TT. I want a GM and a HC who can make our Aaron Rodgers led team great a juggernaut, not just competitive. To have Rodgers and Favre all these years and to have only been competitive and have 2 rings is not enough for having two guys like that for those years.

UserPostedImage

DakotaT
9 years ago

If you don't feel wrong, already, I have failed. :(

What is interesting to me is Mike Sherman had a better winning percentage as GM vs. TT. The real differentiator between the two is Sherman never drafted a star like Rodgers and Ted Thompson did.
I don't think Ted Thompson would be in Green Bay, today, minus that Rodgers selection, but the fact is he made the pick and is entitled to all the credit.

I think the winning % speaks to the idea that both Sherman and Ted Thompson were benefactors of having star QB's. The Packers are a well below .500 team minus Aaron Rodgers. 2-5-1 without him...but I realize other key guys were hurt, too. Point is we could put Mike Sherman back as GM and get the same results we're getting with TT. I want a GM and a HC who can make our Aaron Rodgers led team great a juggernaut, not just competitive. To have Rodgers and Favre all these years and to have only been competitive and have 2 rings is not enough for having two guys like that for those years.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

OMFG STFU, now! At the end of Sherman's reign of terror we had cap hell with major contracts due to our LT, LG, and RG and had absolutely no depth anywhere on the roster. And do we need to be reminded of the Joe Johnson/Cletidus Hunt/Mike McKenzie horror stories?

I appreciate you trying to interject some life into this forum but the difference between Uncle Ted and Mike Sherman is obvious and this is going to hit you right between eyes: was Mike Sherman ever offered another GM job or even a major coaching job in the NFL again? Uncle Ted would write his own ticket if we were stupid enough to get rid of him.
UserPostedImage
StarrMax1
9 years ago
I'm dissapointed, I thought by now, there would at least be 1 or 2 "Expert quotes" posted.

Guess I'll check back tomorrow.

See what kind of minutia has been written on the subject.

Ted Thompson has succeeded wherever he has been, would be a really dumb idea to not extend him.

He may have a change of heart and decide to move on, but from his comments from a couple of weeks ago, don't think that's going to happen.