play2win
9 years ago

Per target, Boykin's production is remarkably similar to Jeffery's. Minus Alshon's 3 fumbles of course. Which would cause me to drop him just below. Also considering Jarrett had to catch passes from 4 different QBs.

After his shaky start going 1 for 6 against Baltimore, Boykin was pretty good. Catching over 62% of his targets.

For the second half of the year, Boykin was as good as Jeffery, only he didn't fumble the ball as much.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I had no idea Dex! Cool!

I'm not down on Boykin at all. He could easily hold firm as our #3, or move up. I firmly believe this. I just cannot believe the talent right behind him...
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

I had no idea Dex! Cool!

I'm not down on Boykin at all. He could easily hold firm as our #3, or move up. I firmly believe this. I just cannot believe the talent right behind him...

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I think it is a combination of Jeffery being a little overrated and Boykin being very underrated. I also thinnk Marshall is a bit overrated.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I had no idea Dex! Cool!

Per target production? Okay.

Compare their stat lines. Not close.

Jeffery 2" taller and alot faster than Boykin. The two are not comparable and I'm not insinuating you said anything but Boykin was similar in a stat you won't find at NFL.com like drop %. However, to suggest that Jeffery is overrated and Boykin underrated as if that is to mean they're similar players that is dead wrong.

All 32 GM's including ours would swap Boykin for Jeffery in a flash. Yes, there is no proof of this but I believe that very strongly.

You post one stat and you've got the guy convinced that Sterling reincarnate was drafted this year and is ready to dominate is now lucky to be a 4 for us. BTW, how is Boykin "moving up" this year? He's going to displace either Cobb or Nelson because DS posted one stat among several measures? I firmly believe this is total insanity.

Some heads would explode if we had a talent like Jimmy Graham in Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
9 years ago

Per target production? Okay.

Compare their stat lines. Not close.

Jeffery 2" taller and alot faster than Boykin. The two are not comparable and I'm not insinuating you said anything but Boykin was similar in a stat you won't find at NFL.com like drop %. However, to suggest that Jeffery is overrated and Boykin underrated as if that is to mean they're similar players that is dead wrong.

All 32 GM's including ours would swap Boykin for Jeffery in a flash. Yes, there is no proof of this but I believe that very strongly.

You post one stat and you've got the guy convinced that Sterling reincarnate was drafted this year and is ready to dominate is now lucky to be a 4 for us. BTW, how is Boykin "moving up" this year? He's going to displace either Cobb or Nelson because DS posted one stat among several measures? I firmly believe this is total insanity.

Some heads would explode if we had a talent like Jimmy Graham in Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Yet another douchebag response from you.

What you for some reason cannot handle, is that we have maybe the deepest crop of receivers ever assembled in Green Bay.

We dont need Jimmy Graham and trading away for him is a really bad idea.
Mucky Tundra
9 years ago

Yet another douchebag response from you.

What you for some reason cannot handle, is that we have maybe the deepest crop of receivers ever assembled in Green Bay.

We dont need Jimmy Graham and trading away for him is a really bad idea.

Woh! Slow down there chief! [wasntme] Even as much as I like Adams, Abby and the potential of Janis, they still haven't played a single NFL down. 😳 The deepest group and reigning champion remains the 2011 group. [boxing]
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
9 years ago
I said maybe....

In 2011 our Receivers put up this:
Nelson 68 rec 1263 yds 15 TDs
Jennings 67 rec 949 yds 9 TDs
Finley 55 rec 767 yds 8 TDs
Jones 38 rec 635 yds 7 TDs
Driver 37 rec 445 yds 6 TDs

You are right, those are some incredible numbers from 5 players. I just happen to think this group we will field will be better than even that collection of talent. At the time of these stats, the rest of the NFL was still attempting to figure out how to beat us. Romeo Crennel took care of that, but not till late in the season.

Now, we will be fielding a known quantity in terms of scheme, play calling, and Aaron Rodgers at QB. This could be difficult to quantify, given that 2011 team was Air McCarthy. He firmly did not emphasize running the football. That philosophy has changed. Our RBs had over 100 more attempts last season than in 2011.

I would argue that we probably have 3 receivers on this roster as or more talented than Greg Jennings was in his prime in Cobb, Boykin and Adams, and that is not including Jordy Nelson. Am I speculating in making that statement? Of course! Add to this, I believe we have a far more talented group of TEs as receivers. Jermichael Finely dropped more passes than any other TE in the NFL that season - C'MON! SAY IT WITH ME NOW! "YOTTO." Somehow, I don't believe that will be the case this year, in terms of our TEs and dropped passes. To me, both Richard Rodgers and Colt Lyerla will prove to be better pass catchers than Finley ever was. Add, Quarless was the 12th ranked pass catching TE last season in terms of efficiency, with a paltry 2 drops in 34 catchable balls for a 5.88% drop rate...The NFL leader in this category is Zach Miller from SEA, who dropped 1 of 34... We can go 4 deep at TE by adding Brandon Bostick to the equation, whom I belive is a better talent than Crabtree, Williams and Taylor from 2011.

I could also argue that both Abbrederis and Janis might be more talented than DD was that season, and both have the potential to put up better numbers than Jones did IMO, given the same opportunities.

Any records this group in 2014 may break will involve efficiency and quite possibly scoring. There are just too many good players and not enough targets. Rodgers is going to have a field day every game this year, if he can stay healthy...
sschind
9 years ago

I think it is a combination of Jeffery being a little overrated and Boykin being very underrated. I also thinnk Marshall is a bit overrated.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Why does this comment not surprise me. I hear a lot of the same kind of talk from many Packer fans. Jeffery puts up a fantastic year and he is a little over rated and Boykin puts up a decent year and he is very under rated. I just don't see it but then again I don't have my glasses on. Only Boykin's momma would take him over Jefferey and she would have to think about it.
StarrMax1
9 years ago

I believe if you can translate coach speak, the translation is we aren't very good at TE. Being wide open means they lost their guy (Finley) and have no clue who is going to replace him.

I believe if you can translate coach speak, this means what it always means in early July.

"We probably have lost our #1 TE from last year, nobody is going to feel sorry for us, we must move foward as if Jermicheal is not coming back.
The positive news is that we have 2 veteran TE's who we are comfortable with, 2 guys who we felt good enough about to sign as UDFA's the past 2 years, and 3 guys aquired this year.
As a group we are "unsettled", which doesn't mean bad, it means the competition is going to be at a high level for a spot on the 53 man roster, and we are confident that at the end of TC. the 3, 4 or even 5 guys who make the final 53 will have shown they are ready to replace Jermichaeal."
"and of course since it is Mid-July, if you believe anything that is quoted from a coach, then you are our favorite kind of reporter, writer, fan, etc."

Jimmy Graham is pissed because he was thrown into the TE category when it comes to him getting paid.
Why would Ted Thompson give up 2 1st rnd picks, just to bring in a guy who is not going to play for 5-6 mil when he thinks he is worth 8-10 mil?
New orleans problem, The Packers don't need the distraction.

play2win
9 years ago

from JSOnline.com: "I think we are pretty wide open at this point," Packers tight ends coach Jerry Fontenot said during minicamp in June. "I think guys have shown some progress, and those guys warrant a much bigger look. And I think once we get to training camp, we'll have an idea of a rotation, at least, and giving guys reps just to make sure they're ready to start the season."

Right now, though, Fontenot admits his positional group is the most unsettled on the team.

I believe if you can translate coach speak, the translation is we aren't very good at TE. Being wide open means they lost their guy (Finley) and have no clue who is going to replace him. "Shown some progress" means they're a long way from being ready to dominate at the TE position. Making sure they're ready...not really good but we have to trot someone out there. The non quote that is highlighted is the most ominous of all. Unsettled equals nobody's any good and his position group is weakest on the team.

What an enormous leap and assumption.

You automatically read Fontenot's comments as meaning we aren't very good at the position, all because you have a hard on for the Packers to trade their future away for Jimmy Graham...

Of course, you haven't considered that the talent at TE is so -GOOD- that the competition within the group is "wide open." With 3 new rookies jumping into the equation, along with returning players Quarless, Bostick and Ryan, how do you make the leap that "showing progress" equates with "a long way from being ready?"

A position group being "unsettled" is not necessarily a statement saying they are not "any good and his position group is the weakest on the team." Being "unsettled" at the position could mean there is competition for ALL positions on this TE depth chart, and GB is returning 3 veteran players. This could easily be understood to mean the 3 rookies have so much talent that they are pushing our returning veterans for positions #1, 2, 3 and possibly 4 if they keep that many TEs.

Unless of course, it is you. Then that is not easily understood.

I saw Rodgers, Lyerla and Perillo in OTAs, and they looked pretty damn good. All three of them. Ryan Taylor also looked very good, much improved over anything I had seen from him previously.

The only words you said that I will agree with are these:

I would admit they'll never do this

😆
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Why does this comment not surprise me. I hear a lot of the same kind of talk from many Packer fans. Jeffery puts up a fantastic year and he is a little over rated and Boykin puts up a decent year and he is very under rated. I just don't see it but then again I don't have my glasses on. Only Boykin's momma would take him over Jefferey and she would have to think about it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It is refreshing to read a post like this. I'm afraid before long we will have Boykin compared to Sterling Sharpe and some mysterious stat will be used to validate he's better than Sterling.

We now have a #3 who is better than our #2 or #1 and we have a rookie who is better than our 1, 2 or 3. On top of that we have a rookie 3rd rounder and UDFA who are already better players than Jermichael Finley. Our talent is so off the charts at TE that the reason we're "unsettled" isn't because we've got nobody, it's everybody is so talented it's going to be hard to just pick one to be the starter? The old saying if you have two quarterbacks you don't have one applies quite nicely to our TE situation. We couldn't say, right now, who is the starter because we don't know if Richard Rodgers is good enough to beat out a JAG like Quarless. Maybe, it's Brandon Bostick? I like the little I've seen of him.

There is a reason Adam Schefter directly stated that Seattle or Green Bay should cough two 1's for Graham. It is twofold... Graham is that good and the Packers need is that great. That tweet wasn't some deadline piece where the accusation is some guy is out there and the media just pairs up who they think could use that player. BTW, there is also a reason the media pairs certain players with certain teams. These articles didn't list more than 4 teams who should/could pursue Graham. The writer has recognized that those teams he's linked to Graham would benefit the most above all the others. To read about how stacked we are and how unnecessary Graham would be for us is bizarre. Yes, we can get by with what we have...always do... every team does. To me, it's like saying Marshall Newhouse or MD Jennings were good enough because they were Packers and you just trust Ted Thompson that he knows what he's doing. You did not have to be an NFL GM or scout to realize the Packers needed upgrades at safety and Marshall's role at the two tackle positions. The same can be said for TE coming into this season. Ted Thompson selected Richard Rodgers and added Lyerla and Perillo. Maybe, maybe, maybe one of those guys pans out. Maybe. It isn't a done deal guarantee like some have all but written in stone around here.

I really do wonder what would happen if we had a real superstar at WR or TE.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."