play2win
9 years ago

Dom Capers has been vilified, glorified, and called more names than we could possibly imagine over the course of his five seasons with the Green Bay Packers. He's helped lead the team to a championship, he's helped develop stars like Clay Matthews, B.J. Raji, and Sam Shields. He's found ways to utilize players' strengths while putting

LombardiAve  wrote:

I would say that Capers is just one of many X-factors for us on defense this coming year.

Attrition due to injury has killed us over the past 3 seasons, but so has a very slow accumulation of key players at positions of need to make Capers' D really work effectively.
play2win
9 years ago
We have 3 concurrent 1st round picks that could help take us over the top in Nick Perry, Datone Jones and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. If all 3 show up big for our defense, Dom Capers could realize a career year like he did in 2009 and 2010 with GB as our DC.

Figure, Matthews has to finally turn in an injury free season. Hayward returning to form, and an improved Hyde should be an enormous benefit. Mike Neal may become a factor after a 2nd full season working as an elephant.

Lattimore, Mulumba, Bradford and possibly Hubbard and Barrington could all make big differences in how this defense performs. I'm actually pretty stoked to see what all of these LBs have to offer this 2014 team.

Throw in House, Richardson, Boyd, Thornton and the veterans Peppers, Daniels, Raji and Hawk, I'd say we have the potential to be very good this season. Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and Morgan Burnett could all realize vastly improved seasons with a formidable pass rush.

Can Capers bring it all together?
nerdmann
9 years ago
Capers needs to show he wants to keep his job.

He's had guys, he just refuses to play them. Now that Mike's involved with the D, we'll see Hyde at S, Datone get on the field and maybe even Perry on the right side. Imagine that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

I would say that Capers is just one of many X-factors for us on defense this coming year.

Attrition due to injury has killed us over the past 3 seasons, but so has a very slow accumulation of key players at positions of need to make Capers' D really work effectively.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I don't think the 2011 and 2011 season were bad.

In 2011, the D held opponenets to 3 points net per quarter for the first 3 quarters. Which is one of the best in the league. After the built an average 18 point 4th quarter lead, they played prevent and traded yards and a few points for clock. They gave up almost half their total passing yards and almost half their total points in the 4th quarter. Teams were passing the ball over 62% of their plays because they were so far behind. Giving up 9 points in exchange for running them out of clock when you have a 18 point lead is good game management.

In 2012, they were 11th in points and yards.

2013 sucked because they had 29 players miss 298 combined games. Super Bowl favorite teams like the Texans and Falcons had fewer injuries and fell to bottom of the league. We had nearly 3 times as many as the Bears and almost double the Vikings and still took the division. Down to 4th string QB and not enough healthy LBs to put 4 on the field at the same time.

The coaches shouldn't be under the gun for that. They should be up for an award.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
9 years ago

2013 sucked because they had 29 players miss 298 combined games. Super Bowl favorite teams like the Texans and Falcons had fewer injuries and fell to bottom of the league. We had nearly 3 times as many as the Bears and almost double the Vikings and still took the division. Down to 4th string QB and not enough healthy LBs to put 4 on the field at the same time.

The coaches shouldn't be under the gun for that. They should be up for an award.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

2013 sucked, because Capers refused to play the younger guys. Datone sat on the bench, Perry played the left side and Hyde never took a snap at S.

They shouldn't get an award for that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
9 years ago

Would of been 8th if you don't cont the "fail mary" play in the Seahawks game with the replacement refs. And I completely agree with you, the 2012 defense wasn't bad...

2013 sucked, because Capers refused to play the younger guys. Datone sat on the bench, Perry played the left side and Hyde never took a snap at S.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

What are you talking about?

Yes Datone sat on the beach, just like most rookie inside DL do because they need a year to adjust to the NFL, and because Datone didn't fit the two gap base defense system the Packers were running... while in the mean time later draft pick rookie DT got more playing time as I assume he earned in by playing better than Datone at that spot in practice...

As for Hyde at Safety... if you remember last year, Hyde played in the slot... why? Hayward was injured... DO YOU REALLY want to move Hyde to a new position, that he has rarely played, AND put Jarrett Bush into the impotant position of covering the slot?

Yes they could put Shields or Williams at the slot but they look more uncomfortible there than on the outside and play a bit worse... in the mean time you would still have House or Bush playing CB on the outside... Hyde should of stayed at the nickel position. The bigger question is why did they have Jennings starting over Richardson... and Richardson was coming back from a neck injury (one of the few that have come back from them) so he might of been behind and that's why...

As for Perry on the right vs left side.... 1) I agree with you, he flashes a lot more from the right side and they should of let him play there more .... 2) HE WAS INJURED!!! and started when he was healthy enough too...

So two of the three played a good bit of time when they were healthy in important roles.... the 3rd didn't fit the base system and played mainly in the nickel and it normally takes a full year to get adjusted at that position in the NFL. Raji didn't do much his first year either.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

[palm]

If they did end up in last place, they would deserve a pass. Winning the division they deserve coaches of the year.

The injuries are not an excuse. They are a reason. The same reason the Texans won 2 games. The same reason the Falcons won 4. With MORE injuries the Packers won their division. And the Bears excuse it because they had 16 players miss 109 games combined. While the Packers had 29 players miss 298 combined games.
play2win
9 years ago

I don't think the 2011 and 2011 season were bad.

In 2011, the D held opponenets to 3 points net per quarter for the first 3 quarters. Which is one of the best in the league. After the built an average 18 point 4th quarter lead, they played prevent and traded yards and a few points for clock. They gave up almost half their total passing yards and almost half their total points in the 4th quarter. Teams were passing the ball over 62% of their plays because they were so far behind. Giving up 9 points in exchange for running them out of clock when you have a 18 point lead is good game management.

I didnt say the 2012 defense was bad, but that they suffered from injury and attrition... 2010 DPOY, Charles Woodson, was a shell of himself. Leading tackler, Desmond Bishop, lost for the year. 2nd round pick, Jerel Worthy, lost for the year. 1st round pick Nick Perry, lost for the year after 5 games. Clay Matthews, missed the first 4 1/2 games... And, hell yeah, they did very well under the circumstances. I agree.

However, our top DL was Ryan Pickett, a veteran player when he was acquired in 2006. he played the most snaps from scrimmage since 2006 in that 2012 season. We lost Collins in Sept. of 2011. Ted was very, very slow in finding adequate replacements for Jenkins and Collins, amongst others.
DakotaT
9 years ago
Our defense has been soft as Liberace at the Playboy mansion. We need some linebackers and safeties that knock the ugly off of people. Time to get nasty, we have some of the parts, but I don't think we have the coach that gets it done.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago

I didnt say the 2012 defense was bad, but that they suffered from injury and attrition... 2010 DPOY, Charles Woodson, was a shell of himself. Leading tackler, Desmond Bishop, lost for the year. 2nd round pick, Jerel Worthy, lost for the year. 1st round pick Nick Perry, lost for the year after 5 games. Clay Matthews, missed the first 4 1/2 games... And, hell yeah, they did very well under the circumstances. I agree.

However, our top DL was Ryan Pickett, a veteran player when he was acquired in 2006. he played the most snaps from scrimmage since 2006 in that 2012 season. We lost Collins in Sept. of 2011. Ted was very, very slow in finding adequate replacements for Jenkins and Collins, amongst others.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I don't agree with the "slow replacement". When you have 29 players miss games and you can only have 53 on the roster, there is only so much you can do. There is always a limit to your depth. When they are all hurt, you are out of roster spots. It isn't like you can find pro bowl safties walking around on the street.

As much as Thompson has been able to find great players on the scrap heap, the are really few players available mid season that will come in and even be average. Much less replace a Collins.

Wood was actually replaced by Hayward who was an upgrade in 2012.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.