OlHoss1884
9 years ago
To move this discussion to this thread...

It's hard to compare eras so this is in no particular order but these guys would be my all time best:

Unitas
Graham
Baugh
Marino
Montana
Elway
P. Manning
Brady
Favre
Starr

I only kept Rodgers off that list because he hasn't played long enough for me to objectively evaluate his career and I took Bart over Brees because he called his own plays.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
looks reasonable. I would have Starr on the list because of 5 championships instead of calling his own plays. Some would add Tarkenton to the list. I am not sure who I would want to take off and he didn't win any championships so who cares.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

It's hard to compare eras so this is in no particular order but these guys would be my all time best:

Unitas
Graham
Baugh
Marino
Montana
Elway
P. Manning
Brady
Favre
Starr

I only kept Rodgers off that list because he hasn't played long enough for me to objectively evaluate his career and I took Bart over Brees because he called his own plays.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

I like the no particular order thing and its far more realistic. Obviously people are still going to argue over a player or two who should have made it but I'm guessing that 8 of these would be on 95% of the people's lists and the 2 that might not make it would be damn close. I'm talking people who know football regardless of age and not those who think the NFL started in 1985.

Of course you are still going to get haters who claim Brady doesn't belong and kool-aide drinkers who think Kaepernick does but when you see something like that I think you can pretty much discount anything they have to say.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago

Unitas
Graham
Baugh
Marino
Montana
Elway
P. Manning
Brady
Favre
Starr

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

My 10 (again, in no particular order): Unitas, Graham, Baugh, Montana, Brady, Starr, Luckman, Herber, Staubach, Waterfield.

Much as I hate saying this about Pretty Boy, Brady is the only current player to me that belongs in the the top 10, for the same reason as I put Montana there, titles. Manning is omitted for the same reason Favre and Marino are: in otherwise close calls, championships always >stats. I will go to my grave thinking Elway was overrated.

I do expect Rodgers to retire in the top 10 though.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
9 years ago

My 10 (again, in no particular order): Unitas, Graham, Baugh, Montana, Brady, Starr, Luckman, Herber, Staubach, Waterfield.

Much as I hate saying this about Pretty Boy, Brady is the only current player to me that belongs in the the top 10, for the same reason as I put Montana there, titles. Manning is omitted for the same reason Favre and Marino are: in otherwise close calls, championships always >stats. I will go to my grave thinking Elway was overrated.

I do expect Rodgers to retire in the top 10 though.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

You put way too much value into rings.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

You put way too much value into rings.

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

As long as the measure of success is championships there is no such thing.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

As long as the measure of success is championships there is no such thing.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

As long as YOUR measure of success is championships there is no such thing TO YOU. It may be legitimate to measure teams by the number of championships but not individulas. Championships are a TEAM accomplishment and you are applying them to individuals. Yes the QB is considered the leader of the team but if his followers suck he can't do shit.

If you took any one of those QBs you listed and put them on most of the 70's or 80's Packers teams and they don't get their rings which means they are not great QBs I guess.

I know you are not saying guys like Dilfer are better than Marino because they have a ring and that you are using it as more of a tie breaker between two otherwise fairly evenly matched individuls but you have to make sure that those individuals are fairly evenly matched before you apply the ring criteria and not let the number of rings influence your judgement in the first place.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

As long as YOUR measure of success is championships there is no such thing TO YOU. It may be legitimate to measure teams by the number of championships but not individulas. Championships are a TEAM accomplishment and you are applying them to individuals. Yes the QB is considered the leader of the team but if his followers suck he can't do shit.

If you took any one of those QBs you listed and put them on most of the 70's or 80's Packers teams and they don't get their rings which means they are not great QBs I guess.

I know you are not saying guys like Dilfer are better than Marino because they have a ring and that you are using it as more of a tie breaker between two otherwise fairly evenly matched individuls but you have to make sure that those individuals are fairly evenly matched before you apply the ring criteria and not let the number of rings influence your judgement in the first place.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

ease up a bit. You don't have to take everything so literally. What I said to cheeseheads123 was rather tongue in cheek.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Okay. Let's look at this another way. Manning has and Favre has stats that no other quarterback comes close to. In other words, they are not "evenly matched" in terms of their individual performance with Starr, Graham, and others.

On the other hand, is it true to say either one of them went through their careers with "followers who can't do shit"? Okay, they may not have had as many Hall of Famers as the Lombardi Packers did. I'll concede that. But on the other hand, how many Super Bowls have been won in the Favre/Manning era with that number of Hall of Famers on the team. How many Hall of Famers did Dilfer or Doug Williams or whoever play with?

The year Favre won his SB, I believe the Packers had the #1 defense in the league or close thereto. How many years did he have a top-10 defense? (I don't know the answer here, but I don't think it is "one.")

How many playoff games has Manning been on the *losing* side? How many playoff games was Marino on the *losing* side?

And as for Marino, who was *his* coach? I seem to remember the guy who he played most of his career for ended up in Canton, too.

It may seem so, but "championships" are not my main criterion for quarterback greatness. The only quarterback on my "top 10 list" for which they were the determinant actually is Montana. I actually wanted to leave Montana off my list, since I've never thought as highly of him. But the sheer number of times he won meant I had to include him.

But it isn't championships that decides for me. It is "if I were picking a team to field, who would I put at the position." And for quarterback, that means "leadership". And to me, Starr defines that term.

Might Manning, Favre, et al have won ith the Lombardi Packers? Might Marino? I don't know. Maybe.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the criteria and priority among them.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Dexter_Sinister
9 years ago
I took the passer rating of every QB that qualified for a career in the NFL going back to 1940. Then I deducted the average passer rating of the entire NFL during that players career from his rating. It gave me a ranking of how far above average each QB is as far as passing efficiency.

The reason I did that is there is no way you can realisticly compare players from different eras. Even going back to Favre's era, the average passer rating for his entire career is below 80. Today it is about 86. So comparing Favre to today's QB, you should raise his rating by 6.

In the 1940s when Don Hutson basically invented the WR position and they ussered in the moder passing game, the average rating was in the upper 40s. It has been increasing fairly steadily until today. There are so many rule, equipment, fitness, medical care, scheme and other changes that there isn't a reasonable way to compare. Just going from no black players to integration was a huge change.

Here is my top 25 and how far they were above average.

Rank Quarterback QBPRD
1 Sid Luckman+ 25.80
2 Sammy Baugh+ 22.02
3 Otto Graham+ 22.00
4 Aaron Rodgers 21.78
5 Steve Young+ 20.55
6 Roger Staubach+ 17.75
7 Joe Montana+ 17.40
8 Tommy Thompson 17.30
9 Norm Van Brocklin+ 16.00
10 Len Dawson+ 15.55
11 Sonny Jurgensen+ 15.47
12 Tom Brady 14.82
13 Peyton Manning 14.47
14 George Ratterman 13.81
15 Bart Starr+ 13.46
16 Kurt Warner 13.43
17 Fran Tarkenton+ 13.28
18 Ken Anderson 12.73
19 Tony Romo 12.51
20 Drew Brees 12.22
21 Philip Rivers 11.41
22 Johnny Unitas+ 11.32
23 Y.A. Tittle+ 11.19
24 Bob Griese+ 10.57
25 Bob Berry 10.41

I also do not give any credit for championships. If that were the case, Dilfer would be better than Marino.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.