Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:39:37 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 658
Applause Received: 1,347

Well Mia figured out that there is no tooth fairy today cause Julie forgot to put a dollar in her pillow and take the tooth away. Mia was pretty broken hearted and pissed at her mom. So tonight she comes up to me and asks, "Daddy, if there's no Tooth Fairy, then is Santa Claus not real either?" Well, I told to go ask her Mom. Of course Julie just lied to her again.

So then Mia comes down to me and looks me dead in the eye and says, "Dad, is Santa Claus real?" I told her no, that I was Santa Claus.

Who's the better parent?
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:43:30 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,118

You know if she sees this post of yours, your ass is sleeping on the couch for a month, you know this, right?? lol
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:47:05 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
You know if she sees this post of yours, your ass is sleeping on the couch for a month, you know this, right?? lol

f*ck that, I pay the mortgage!
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:28:24 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

I agree with what you did, however it's probably not a good sign that you are in a (known or unknown to your wife) competition with your wife over who is the better parent. Might want to start there.
call me Dan
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:38:20 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
I agree with what you did, however it's probably not a good sign that you are in a (known or unknown to your wife) competition with your wife over who is the better parent. Might want to start there.

You don't know me very well do you? Go read some of the Mia threads and find out what a parental team Julie and I are.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:07:55 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,966
Applause Received: 1,429

We never had that problem because from the very beginning we told our kids those things were not real. We also said they could never tell their friends.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline dingus  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:30:41 PM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 17
Applause Received: 27

How'd the not telling their friends part go? Any slips that you've had to deal with?
blank
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:41:01 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: dingus Go to Quoted Post
How'd the not telling their friends part go? Any slips that you've had to deal with?

It went well. No issues at all. All we said is that Santa Claus was a make believe character like Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Other parents prefer to pretend he is real and we are fine with that. It will hurt their friend's feelings if they tell them instead of letting their parents tell them. They understood. We reinforced it every year and they listened to us. They liked being treated like they were more grown up than their friends.

UserPostedImage

Offline dingus  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:43:42 PM(UTC)
dingus

Applause Given: 17
Applause Received: 27

well played
blank
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:20:10 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I was just thinking about it some more. Our kids got every bit as excited as other kids did when they saw Santa in the mall. We got pictures of them sitting on his lap. They liked the free candy cane. By the same token when we went to see the rat in FL they were excited seeing all the characters even though they knew they were not real.

When the kids is 1-3 they didn't have very many chances to tell someone else. By the time they are 6 a lot of other kids already know. So it is a 2 year window where we had to be careful. At 4 there are not a lot of other kids to deal with outside of preschool.

UserPostedImage

Offline OlHoss1884  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:23:18 AM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 53
Applause Received: 159

My stepson once asked whether Santa Claus was real and I replied "Michael, you'll be getting your driver's license next week, and no, Santa is not getting you a car."

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 4 applause.
wpr on 6/19/2014(UTC), Zero2Cool on 6/19/2014(UTC), sschind on 6/19/2014(UTC), DakotaT on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:06:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,118

Keiana was close to 8 and the girl I was dating got really ticked off at me because I wouldn't give some fat rosy cheeked white bearded stranger all the credit for the gifts I had worked my ass off to purchase and then wrapped. The funny thing is, when I told Keiana I was Santa she just laughed at me and told me I was silly. Basically, the more I told her I was Santa, the more she didn't believe me lol.

My girls are now 17, 12, 10 and 16 months old. I told them when they stop believing that Santa, Easter Bunny, etc are real, that is when they will stop receiving gifts.

So, if you ask any of my girls, they will straight out tell you ... SANTA IS REAL YOU BIG JERK!!!
UserPostedImage
wpr on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:05:51 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 417

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
By the same token when we went to see the rat in FL they were excited seeing all the characters even though they knew they were not real.

What are you trying to say Dave?

I know your name is not Dave but the very first thing that popped into my mind was HAL from 2001 saying "Just what do you think you are doing Dave?" Try reading it again with that voice in your mind and it will be funnier...I swear.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
wpr on 6/19/2014(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:19:30 AM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 417

Does anyone have any horror stories about how their kids (or friends kids) flipped out when they heard Santa wasn't real. Personally I do not know of a single instance where a kid made a big deal out of it. The vast majority of times the kids already have an inkling because they have heard their friends talking and such. One time a particularly bright 6 year old told her dad "It's about time you realize that. I've known since I was three and I figured if you didn't come around soon we'd have to call the guys in the little white coats."

OK, that's not true I just thought is was kind of funny. Sometimes I wonder though if people like Jeffry Dahmer or Ted Bundy might not have turned out differently if their parents had not lied to them about Santa and the tooth fairy.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:40:40 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Keiana was close to 8 and the girl I was dating got really ticked off at me because I wouldn't give some fat rosy cheeked white bearded stranger all the credit for the gifts I had worked my ass off to purchase and then wrapped. The funny thing is, when I told Keiana I was Santa she just laughed at me and told me I was silly. Basically, the more I told her I was Santa, the more she didn't believe me lol.

My girls are now 17, 12, 10 and 16 months old. I told them when they stop believing that Santa, Easter Bunny, etc are real, that is when they will stop receiving gifts.

So, if you ask any of my girls, they will straight out tell you ... SANTA IS REAL YOU BIG JERK!!!

WARNING! GENERALIZATION AHEAD:

I think it is women that cling to the notion of wanting to keep the kids young and naive a lot longer than guys do. I remember my wife saying she was more or less going to baby our son and let him stay immature for as long as she could. That way she would have a this toddler for an extra long period. I asked her if she really loved him. Naturally she said she did. I told her to then let him grow up at a normal pace. I pointed out a couple of guys who had been mothered to death when they were young and asked her if that is what she wanted her son to be like. She changed her mind and he was playing army and falling out of trees and breaking his arm with the rest of the 5 year old boys.

UserPostedImage