OlHoss1884
9 years ago
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/opinion/robbins-california-teachers-tenure/index.html?iref=allsearch 

The court ruled that in CA that the tenure law makes it too difficult to remove an ineffective teacher, and that because the bad teachers tended to get sent to the poorer districts, poor and minority students were suffering an unequal education because the convoluted tenure situation makes it nearly impossible to replace them.

In addition, the court ruled that it unfairly hindered new teachers who might be better from getting hired because there was no room for them in the system.

I happen to agree with this decision. I also have issues with government pensions in my state (IL) which is further exacerbated by the fact that a crappy teacher is still in for life and THEN gets an obscene pension plan.

(The imbalance of funding schools through property taxes is another issue).

When I first heard this story, since my bias was to agree with the court I was trying to hear what the teachers and their supporters had to say on this issue and they had no specifics at all: "It will hurt the students" or "It's anti-education". Yet not a valid point in the lot.

First, if that were an answer on an essay, they'd get an F. No wonder they need tenure.

Second, I would really (honestly) like to hear what the basis for a tenure law is in the first place. I can't conceive of what reall reason there is to have one other than protecting teachers who, through union rules, are the higher paid ones. Most states have to grant tenure after 3 years...hardly proof of long term success (it is currently 2 years in CA).

I say shitcan the tenure system and let teachers deal with the threat of having to occasionally find a new job like anyone else.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
good news
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago
I'm interested to hear our poetry teacher's opinion on this matter.

Oh yeah, Texas is a dumbass! Experiment successful Ol Hoss.

This topic is kind of dumb without adding the FACT, that right wing politicians are in an all out war against budgets for schools across America. Anything to cut the tax bill to feed the greed. Who in the hell would actually want to be a teacher in this country right now. You have unintellectual tea people challenging anything you do, and taking their children out of school to "home school" them.
UserPostedImage
OlHoss1884
9 years ago

This topic is kind of dumb without adding the FACT, that right wing politicians are in an all out war against budgets for schools across America.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The two issues are mutually exclusive. Not that the one isn't the source for the other, but that's irrelevant.

To me, the issue is that tenure has been shown in CA, at least, to be unfairly and adversely impacting the people most in need of having opportunities created for them.

But even given my biases for education and against tenure, I would like to hear actual reasoning in its favor. If your argument is that the Right wants to crush teachers' unions, that may be a fact but it still doesn't justify tenure.

Take the pension system in IL. The reason it is so favorable is because the state can't pay teachers what it thinks they deserve, so they make up for it by giving them an outrageous fixed pension. I don't agree with that policy but at least there is a valid argument there. I just haven't heard one for tenure, and the combination of tenure and a ridiculous pension means that a crappy teacher is set for life.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Well, your experiment went exactly like I predicted - my prediction came before that attempted thread destruction, but I hadn't seen it until later. I hope you realize, the WHO is literally ALWAYS the same.

As for your thread, I have to ask, is that the best you could do? It's kinda a snoozer.

I guess I tend to be against tenure, although I never really thought about it. It allows a bunch of pampered and arrogant professors basically get away with a lot of crap in the realm of teaching, and probably not even limited to that. If I read your words correctly, you favor plenty of spending for education in general? I haven't really ever formed a strong opinion on that either, but my gut feeling is it's mostly bad - as nowadays, teaching is mostly bad - both in terms of disgusting takes on issues AND in terms of shoddy results in the basic factual subjects - math, etc.

Probably, though, this thread would/will die of natural causes - no need for the evil one to kill it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I have to admit there are more contentious issues, Maybe in this case even people more left than I am have a hard time rationalizing tenure.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago

I'm interested to hear our poetry teacher's opinion on this matter.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Er, does this refer to me?

As to what I think:

I looked at the ruling. The ruling is one of interpretation of the California state constitution, not the US Constitution. Since I have no knowledge of, nor interest in, what the constitution of the land of fruits and nuts is, I can't comment on whether the ruling is consistent with or correct in its interpretation of said state constitution.

As for the institution of tenure, I have several thoughts:

1. I'm glad I have it. This is pure self-interest on my part. Given the emphasis my institution places upon student end-of-term evaluations, I have little doubt that mine would lead to my replacement.

2. With respect to private schools, I think it's a matter of contractual choice. If a school wants to give tenure, it should be able to; if a teacher wants to insist on tenure as a part of the contract, the teacher should be able to do so.

3. I think that tenure is a big reason why many institutions are going to be unable to innovate sufficiently to weather the current changes in higher ed. "Faculty governance" typically gives more power to senior faculty naturally, and tenure only exacerbates that.

4. I expect our friend in Montana and many others here will disagree, but I find tenure for public school teachers much more problematic, however, than tenure given under private contracts. Why? Because I don't like the idea of *ANY* public employee having a legal sinecure. If a private employer wants to voluntarily give up his/her ability to terminate an employee at will in exchange for other contractual promises, I have no problem with that. But when you say as a matter of law that a government employee can't be terminated, you are just asking for trouble.
There's a reason that the Founders spoke of rights the way they did in the Bill of Rights. They understood that those acting under the imprimatur of the state had far more power to do harm, more ability to impair the exercise of those fundamental rights, than does any private citizen or private organization. Among the last things they would have wanted would be systematic protection of government agents against criticism and removal from employment.

IMO.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
MontanaBob
9 years ago
Wade and all others in this. I was a tenured teacher for 42 years. To be honest I agree with the California Courts. I taught with some of the finest teachers around...those who made kids think and work to their full potential. And, sadly, I worked with some who were there just for the paycheck and could have gived a crap about the kids. They will certainly deny this, but it's true. But, we see this in every profession. There are those who belong and those who should find another job.

I could go on forever about "teachers" who should have been canned the first day, but somehow reached that magical "3 year" status and now can't be terminated except for felony charges, etc. What a crock of crap.

I did my job.....I followed the cirriculum presented (even threw in some of my own junk); found something nice in every student I had; and took the time to praise each student every day. That was hard being a PE teacher where I saw every kid in the school, but good teachers do this. I tried to connect with each kid I had and I think I succeeded.

The only thing I do worry about is the fact that without some sort of tenure/senority laws, school admisistrators can terminate good teachers within 3 years "just because". Which means that at year 3, they (the school district) can get a first year teacher at a cheaper price and save money and look good to the taxpayers. I started out in Wisconsin in just such a district and they made no bones about what their intentions were. I left after year 2.....went to Sheboygan and taught for 8 years, then was lucky enough to latch on in Missoula for 32 years.

Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
dfosterf
9 years ago
You do your job. If you don't do your job, you should get fired. These frigging unions can bastardize the simple concept of why you should get paid, but I personnaly will not. Do your fucking job and stop whining, whether you are a rocket scientist or a ditch-digger. Do it to the best of your ability and your rewards will come. Amazing how much actual work is taken out by these unions.

My uncle was a big shot at Wayne State. He never actually worked, nor did his kids. Do your job until you can't. Simple.

You are not entitled to getting out of work. Work is hard. Entitlement is easy. You are a worthless piece of shit if you opt for the entitlement without seriously good reason. Wow. We have a government that caters to this entire population of worthless motherfuckers.
IronMan
9 years ago

You do your job. If you don't do your job, you should get fired. These frigging unions can bastardize the simple concept of why you should get paid, but I personnaly will not. Do your f*cking job and stop whining, whether you are a rocket scientist or a ditch-digger. Do it to the best of your ability and your rewards will come. Amazing how much actual work is taken out by these unions.

My uncle was a big shot at Wayne State. He never actually worked, nor did his kids. Do your job until you can't. Simple.

You are not entitled to getting out of work. Work is hard. Entitlement is easy. You are a worthless piece of shit if you opt for the entitlement without seriously good reason. Wow. We have a government that caters to this entire population of worthless motherf*ckers.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

=d>

Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.