uffda udfa
9 years ago
Yeah, I meant he wouldn't make it to the PS because another team would pick him up on waivers before he cleared to get there.

I don't recall the Packers ever keeping more than 6 WR's. The injury thing probably ensures one of the top 6 or 7 hits PUP or IR. That is probably a good thing.

The Packers under Ted Thompson have kept some odd variations of roster makeup. I don't recall ever having 5 TE's on a roster prior to TT. 3 is the norm. I've been curious to see if we drop one TE to keep another WR. It'll be much easier to sneak a Perillo on the PS vs. a Janis. Also, I continue to wonder if Lyerla would be safe on the PS considering nobody would touch him post draft. Who knows...maybe, they keep 7 WR's if they really, really think those 7 are better than carrying a guy elsewhere.

Can't wait to see the final 53.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
9 years ago

Yeah, I meant he wouldn't make it to the PS because another team would pick him up on waivers before he cleared to get there.

I don't recall the Packers ever keeping more than 6 WR's. The injury thing probably ensures one of the top 6 or 7 hits PUP or IR. That is probably a good thing.

The Packers under Ted Thompson have kept some odd variations of roster makeup. I don't recall ever having 5 TE's on a roster prior to TT. 3 is the norm. I've been curious to see if we drop one TE to keep another WR. It'll be much easier to sneak a Perillo on the PS vs. a Janis. Also, I continue to wonder if Lyerla would be safe on the PS considering nobody would touch him post draft. Who knows...maybe, they keep 7 WR's if they really, really think those 7 are better than carrying a guy elsewhere.

Can't wait to see the final 53.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

It is going to be a weird 53. Huge talent at WR, TE, DL and LB.

I agree vultures are going to swoop in and nab any WR we try putting on the PS not named Gillette. Lyerla won't last there either.

If they are going to go back to keeping only 3 TEs, this might be the year to do so, with Quarless, Rodgers and Lyerla being the top 3 IMO. They could probably PUP Bostick. They normally keep only 5 WRs, but kept 6 in 2012. We have 7 that I would like us to keep, but that won't work. Hoping Ted can work a trade before roster cuts. We still have a full TC and preseason to work through too. We are definitely protected should we suffer an injury at WR in TC.

There are plenty of teams in need of top WR talent.
steveishere
9 years ago
I wouldn't be so sure Janis would get claimed on waivers. Everyone thought that about Charles Johnson too and he made it through. To claim him a team would have to put him onto their 53 for at least a couple weeks so you really have to be sure about a player to do that and he lasted until the late 7th round so obviously teams aren't all that sure about him. I think he'd be likely to get picked up a few weeks into the season though by a team that has some injuries at WR or some underperformers.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

I wouldn't be so sure Janis would get claimed on waivers. Everyone thought that about Charles Johnson too and he made it through. To claim him a team would have to put him onto their 53 for at least a couple weeks so you really have to be sure about a player to do that and he lasted until the late 7th round so obviously teams aren't all that sure about him. I think he'd be likely to get picked up a few weeks into the season though by a team that has some injuries at WR or some underperformers.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I'll put money down that the Packers put a WR who is on the edge on IR for a pulled kneecap or something.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Charles Johnson was injured, though. No one knew at the time just how injured he was but that played a role in him not getting scooped up right away. Packers had barely seen the guy due to his TC injury.

https://twitter.com/Mrr_Inkredible/status/464962341864747009 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago

Charles Johnson was injured, though. No one knew at the time just how injured he was but that played a role in him not getting scooped up right away. Packers had barely seen the guy due to his TC injury.

https://twitter.com/Mrr_Inkredible/status/464962341864747009 

There's also the fact that nobody in the NFL thought he was a very good WR. I bet that played a role.
nerdmann
9 years ago

There's also the fact that nobody in the NFL thought he was a very good WR. I bet that played a role.

Charles Johnson? The rap on him was that he was a small school project. Hadn't competed on the big stage, so he was a bit raw, developmental guy.

Then when he showed up, he didn't show anything, because unbeknownst to our crack(ed) medical staff, he had knee ligament damage. These are the same "medical geniuses" who imo unnecessarily ended Nick Collins' career.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
9 years ago

I'm puzzled by the above statement. How do you know this? He was scooped up by Cleveland. He may have been scooped up much earlier before PS had he been healthy enough to show teams what he could do, but he never got the chance. When he did play in that 4th pre-season game he was running on a bad wheel, and Cleveland still added him later in the year.

Johnson was another one of these great measurable guys from a small school. He was exactly the type we needed...a guy who could actually run and I hate this wording but take the top off a defense. It was disappointing we never got to see him. I'm very curious to see how he fares in Cleveland now that he's fully healthy.

Janis is our only true burner. I'd love us to have a Corey Bradford type again. It's been a long long time since we've had one that I can recall.

UserPostedImage

steveishere
9 years ago

I'm puzzled by the above statement. How do you know this? He was scooped up by Cleveland. He may have been scooped up much earlier before PS had he been healthy enough to show teams what he could do, but he never got the chance. When he did play in that 4th pre-season game he was running on a bad wheel, and Cleveland still added him later in the year.

Johnson was another one of these great measurable guys from a small school. He was exactly the type we needed...a guy who could actually run and I hate this wording but take the top off a defense. It was disappointing we never got to see him. I'm very curious to see how he fares in Cleveland now that he's fully healthy.

Janis is our only true burner. I'd love us to have a Corey Bradford type again. It's been a long long time since we've had one that I can recall.

Because if teams thought he was a good WR he wouldn't have dropped to the 7th round.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Because if teams thought he was a good WR he wouldn't have dropped to the 7th round.

He had a nice turnout for his pro day and had scouts buzzing with the time he turned in.

Donald Driver was also in the same category as a 7th round WR and he turned out okay. Did teams think he wasn't very good or were they just unsure because he went to Alcorn State? Same for Marques Colston from Hofstra. Shoot, Shannon Sharpe is one of the greatest TE's of all time... 7th round. Did the Broncos think he couldn't play? Same for a guy like Julius Thomas now? Did we think Brandon Bostick couldn't play because we didn't draft him?

You are implying that every 7th rounder and UDFA there has ever been teams didn't think they were good players? There is a reason a guy is in the league. Some team somewhere thought they were good. Janis had several teams call him (I believe you may have posted the video clip) and wanted him as a UDFA.

We must not think any of our UDFA or 7th round guys are any good. Year after year UDFA's and 7th rounders make impact for the Green Bay Packers. Sam Shields and Tramon Williams. We must not have thought they were any good...we just got lucky that they turned into our starting CB tandem.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.