Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dulak  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:21:33 AM(UTC)
Dulak

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 1/19/2009(UTC)
Location: London, UK (from kenosha)

Applause Given: 153
Applause Received: 100

So I was at a CPD seminar last week. Basically a mix/mosh of speakers.

Attended a seminar 'http://www.copashow.co.uk/workshops/spartanova/' on ACL tears and returning back to sports. Basically the seminar was a taster and they try to get you to 'buy' their product. They are from belgium (I think) - seemed to have made diagnosing injuries and if injured what is desired to return back to your current sport - into a science.

Anyways ... to make a long story short. I talked with one of the presenters; he told me he was in contact from someone from the denver broncos that day.

I couldnt find a site that lists injuries except for this: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/...fl-injury-increase-2013/

point is - maybe if the packers org wanted less injuries they need to get serious on prevention first and 2nd treating the injury correctly/effectively. cough like some teams are doing cough

or what is that saying ... they can keep doing what they have always done ...








Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:27:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,896
Applause Received: 2,094

I have a problem with folks always trying to medicate or apply bandaids to things. My perception is, find the source, find the root cause and fix that and everything else will flow well down stream.

Example. You're getting headaches three or four times a week. Most will load up on painpills. I think that is wrong. Go in, get checked out and find the root cause of your headaches. Fix the root of the problem.

I've said this before too. I watched two or three training camp practices last season and I was appalled by the effort during the stretches. Any trainer worth his/her weight in salt will tell you that the warm-up and stretch are the most important parts to any workout.

The Packers players didn't seem to care about stretching whatsoever. The quad stretches were poor. The bending for hamstring stretches was a joke. It was more or less just lean and go into the next 'stretch'. When you stretch, you really need to feel it for it to be effective.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 6/17/2014(UTC), hardrocker950 on 6/17/2014(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:56:48 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I have a problem with folks always trying to medicate or apply bandaids to things. My perception is, find the source, find the root cause and fix that and everything else will flow well down stream.

Example. You're getting headaches three or four times a week. Most will load up on painpills. I think that is wrong. Go in, get checked out and find the root cause of your headaches. Fix the root of the problem.

I've said this before too. I watched two or three training camp practices last season and I was appalled by the effort during the stretches. Any trainer worth his/her weight in salt will tell you that the warm-up and stretch are the most important parts to any workout.

The Packers players didn't seem to care about stretching whatsoever. The quad stretches were poor. The bending for hamstring stretches was a joke. It was more or less just lean and go into the next 'stretch'. When you stretch, you really need to feel it for it to be effective.


In the OTAs that I saw, they worked through their stretching rather quickly as well. I agree with your premise and believe they could dedicate themselves to being a lot better in emphasizing proper stretching prior to taking the field.

I wonder how much of the CBA comes into play with this, as they seem very intent on getting into the practice drills as quickly as possible, with limited opportunities for on field work under the current agreement. Essentially what I saw was stretching for about 5 minutes, then some running on the field, leg kicks across the field, lateral steps across the field, etc. Sure, it is all designed to stretch everyone out prior to taking part in drill work, but it all seemed somewhat rushed, with little attention paid to players individually.

Being proactive and dedicating more time, or allocating a higher percentage of their time together with better stretching programs might be highly beneficial, and I think this is kind of where you are going here Zero2Cool. I agree. They really should be doing all they can to -prevent- injury on a grand scale after their last 4 seasons.

Maybe they are working on stuff indoors prior to taking the field that we are unaware of. I'm really hoping so.
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:06:44 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

All this and they're STILL not stretching!? WHAT. THE. f*ck.

Maybe Mike just isn't The Guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 2 applause.
gbguy20 on 6/17/2014(UTC), wpr on 6/17/2014(UTC)
Offline Laser Gunns  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:39:42 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 9/30/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 39
Applause Received: 236

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post


The Packers players didn't seem to care about stretching whatsoever. The quad stretches were poor. The bending for hamstring stretches was a joke. It was more or less just lean and go into the next 'stretch'. When you stretch, you really need to feel it for it to be effective.


sounds like me in High School...

yes, they are boring as heck... until you yank one bad Flapper


MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline DarkaneRules  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:00:51 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/15/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 350

This is lame and I hope it isn't true. These are conditioned athletes. Haven't they been told the importance of stretching their whole lives. Something is missing here.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 6/17/2014(UTC)
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 4:24:25 PM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States
Joined: 3/4/2013(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 420
Applause Received: 250

It has always amazed me how the best conditioned athletes in the world - all teams in all sports - keep getting so many nagging little injuries, in addition to a lot of major ones. I have played organized sports since before my teens - almost sixty years - NEVER stretching except going through the motions when forced hahahaha, and I never had any injury to speak of, severe or otherwise, despite being overweight most of those years and now old for a decade or so. I have always said from first hand knowledge, stretching is overrated.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline gbguy20  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:01:56 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker Go to Quoted Post
It has always amazed me how the best conditioned athletes in the world - all teams in all sports - keep getting so many nagging little injuries, in addition to a lot of major ones. I have played organized sports since before my teens - almost sixty years - NEVER stretching except going through the motions when forced hahahaha, and I never had any injury to speak of, severe or otherwise, despite being overweight most of those years and now old for a decade or so. I have always said from first hand knowledge, stretching is overrated.


ok
call me Dan
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 6/17/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:04:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,918
Applause Received: 1,413

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I have a problem with folks always trying to medicate or apply bandaids to things. My perception is, find the source, find the root cause and fix that and everything else will flow well down stream.

Example. You're getting headaches three or four times a week. Most will load up on painpills. I think that is wrong. Go in, get checked out and find the root cause of your headaches. Fix the root of the problem.

I've said this before too. I watched two or three training camp practices last season and I was appalled by the effort during the stretches. Any trainer worth his/her weight in salt will tell you that the warm-up and stretch are the most important parts to any workout.

The Packers players didn't seem to care about stretching whatsoever. The quad stretches were poor. The bending for hamstring stretches was a joke. It was more or less just lean and go into the next 'stretch'. When you stretch, you really need to feel it for it to be effective.


I will agree with all until you get to the trainer. The $50-60-80,000 a year guy will not be able to consistently get the $1,000,000-5,000,000 22 year old kids.

It is Mike's job to either stand out there and enforce the proper stretching techniques or to have one of the coaches maybe even one from the offense and one from the defense out there.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:26:38 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

Rank: All Pro

United States
Joined: 8/19/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 181
Applause Received: 405

Stretching does suck. I would imagine that it is very hard to enforce on young athletes. That being said, I think we need a very enforced regimen, though I admit that I do not know if it was already in place. I think it's possibly the hardest thing to get a young man to do.
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.



thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:01:20 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,918
Applause Received: 1,413

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
Stretching does suck. I would imagine that it is very hard to enforce on young athletes. That being said, I think we need a very enforced regimen, though I admit that I do not know if it was already in place. I think it's possibly the hardest thing to get a young man to do.


you are probably right. In high school I recall a coach walking every line of players. Perhaps they watched a couple of lines. The HC stood and looked over the whole team. They already know who goes through the motions and who gives it the full effort. The big tubbies are probably some of the worst offenders while the backs and wrs are generally more dedicated. These days they can put someone in the tower to watch. they can film it and chew the players out one on one or in team meetings as they see fit.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller



UserPostedImage

Offline hardrocker950  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:04:59 PM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 11/10/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 65
Applause Received: 73

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I have a problem with folks always trying to medicate or apply bandaids to things. My perception is, find the source, find the root cause and fix that and everything else will flow well down stream.

Example. You're getting headaches three or four times a week. Most will load up on painpills. I think that is wrong. Go in, get checked out and find the root cause of your headaches. Fix the root of the problem.

I've said this before too. I watched two or three training camp practices last season and I was appalled by the effort during the stretches. Any trainer worth his/her weight in salt will tell you that the warm-up and stretch are the most important parts to any workout.

The Packers players didn't seem to care about stretching whatsoever. The quad stretches were poor. The bending for hamstring stretches was a joke. It was more or less just lean and go into the next 'stretch'. When you stretch, you really need to feel it for it to be effective.


This is probably the most true post I have seen in quite some time Zero. Couldn't have said it better myself.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Online PWT36  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:37:44 AM(UTC)
PWT36

Rank: 7th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 10/20/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 32

Eight players didn't practice because of apparent injuries though the Packers don't have to reveal injury information in the off season..

Players injured are : OG Josh Sitton missed some practices in the offseason because of sore back, WR Chris Harper has ham-string injury, OLB Clay Mathews is coming off thumb surgery, RB Johnathon Franklin is coming off of a neck injury last season

Other players injured are LB Nick Perry, TE Andrew Quarless , DL Jerel Worthy
and , CB Jumal Rollie

Source; Green Bay Press-Gazette- Wednesday June 18, 2014 by Pete Dougherty- Press- Gazette media
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:46:00 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,896
Applause Received: 2,094

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I will agree with all until you get to the trainer. The $50-60-80,000 a year guy will not be able to consistently get the $1,000,000-5,000,000 22 year old kids.

It is Mike's job to either stand out there and enforce the proper stretching techniques or to have one of the coaches maybe even one from the offense and one from the defense out there.


I will have to disagree. It is the trainers responsibility to motivate his/her trainee's. That is the purpose of a trainer. If we all had the motivation and commitment to workout on our own, why would anyone need trainers?

You as the trainer find a way, you don't make excuses. You find a way to get your trainees to do it properly. The trainer is the expert in this regard and they absolutely have to be assertive. The trainer has to get them on the same page as them. If that means making a deal with them, so be it. You have to display confidence in what you're preaching.

If you're going to expect the Head Coach to do the Trainers job, what is the purpose of the trainer? The head coach needs to be the head coach, not the trainer.


If the trainer isn't able to get to the million dollar kids, then find a new trainer that can do their job effectively.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 6/18/2014(UTC), Dulak on 6/18/2014(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:36:38 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,498
Applause Received: 625

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I will have to disagree. It is the trainers responsibility to motivate his/her trainee's. That is the purpose of a trainer. If we all had the motivation and commitment to workout on our own, why would anyone need trainers?

You as the trainer find a way, you don't make excuses. You find a way to get your trainees to do it properly. The trainer is the expert in this regard and they absolutely have to be assertive. The trainer has to get them on the same page as them. If that means making a deal with them, so be it. You have to display confidence in what you're preaching.

If you're going to expect the Head Coach to do the Trainers job, what is the purpose of the trainer? The head coach needs to be the head coach, not the trainer.


If the trainer isn't able to get to the million dollar kids, then find a new trainer that can do their job effectively.


If the Packers are gonna include salary bonuses for offseason workouts, surely they could include a clause for stretching or doing yoga of some sort.

Incentives for not having a pulled f*cking hammy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Dulak on 6/18/2014(UTC)
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.547 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
2h / Welcome to our Community! / Smokey

2h / Around The NFL / Smokey

3h / Super Bowl Talk / Smokey

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

3h / Random Babble / Smokey

4h / Random Babble / Cheesey

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

5h / Random Babble / texaspackerbacker

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Fantasy Sports Talk / wpr

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.