uffda udfa
9 years ago
Packers.com's Cliff Christl did a nice retrospective piece on: WHO ARE THE GREATEST PACKERS WHO NEVER WERE?

He listed 5 guys. I only recall seeing two of them... Eddie Lee Ivery and Lynn Dickey. As Christl said, both would've been greats but Lynn Dickey wasn't too shabby even as a parking meter in the pocket.

There have been many guys over the years I've felt cheated out of seeing blossom with the Packers over the years.

Eddie Lee Ivery was a guy I wrote a song about back when I was a kid... Ellis and Ivery side by side in the Packers backfield. Pure cheese, but I was living in Wisconsin and but a wee lad.

Tim Lewis, Jermichael Finley, Terrence Murphy, Nick Collins, Sterling Sharpe, LeRoy Butler(wanted all the years we could get), Justin Harrell, Mark D'Onofrio, Robbie Bosco, Jeremy Thompson, Desmond Bishop are just some of the names that come to mind. I would've added Sherrod but hoping we finally get a chance at seeing him this season.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
9 years ago

Packers.com's Cliff Christl did a nice retrospective piece on: WHO ARE THE GREATEST PACKERS WHO NEVER WERE?

He listed 5 guys. I only recall seeing two of them... Eddie Lee Ivery and Lynn Dickey. As Christl said, both would've been greats but Lynn Dickey wasn't too shabby even as a parking meter in the pocket.

There have been many guys over the years I've felt cheated out of seeing blossom with the Packers over the years.

Eddie Lee Ivery was a guy I wrote a song about back when I was a kid... Ellis and Ivery side by side in the Packers backfield. Pure cheese, but I was living in Wisconsin and but a wee lad.

Tim Lewis, Jermichael Finley, Terrence Murphy, Nick Collins, Sterling Sharpe, LeRoy Butler(wanted all the years we could get), Justin Harrell, Mark D'Onofrio, Robbie Bosco, Jeremy Thompson, Desmond Bishop are just some of the names that come to mind. I would've added Sherrod but hoping we finally get a chance at seeing him this season.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I remember Mark D'Onofrio. Tore his hammy. Second rounder.

I'd have to say Eddie Lee Ivery, although he did have a pretty good career. Tim Lewis, Sterling Sharpe. Terrence Murphy was lost before he did anything. With him, we didn't even know what we missed.

I was REALLY excited about Robbie Bosco as a kid. But we'd have never had him if he hadn't already shredded his shoulder. I think we got him in the third. Dude dislocated his shoulder in college, kept playing all year with it. At QB. Great player, just didn't have an arm left by the time we got him.

Gerry Berry was another one with the neck thing. He was another Darren Sharper, as far as skill set.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
mi_keys
9 years ago

Terrence Murphy

Terrence Murphy was one that I remember really getting excited about only for it to come crashing to an end on that neck injury/discovery of spinal stenosis in Carolina.

I'm pretty sure the week before he had scored his first NFL touchdown only to have it called back on some bullshit penalty; I think it was illegal man down field on Tauscher.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago
Definitely Eddie Lee Ivery.

He was something special.

I admire him also for making a career despite the killer injury.

(And, though he's not a Packer, Gale Sayers. I'm convinced that, had he not blown out the knee, he would have been the greatest ever.)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
mi_keys
9 years ago

Eddie Lee Ivery was a guy I wrote a song about back when I was a kid...

This it?
Born and bred a cheesehead
dfosterf
9 years ago
Sterling Sharpe was our number one highlight for 28 friggin' years. (This is known as the "drought") He was AWESOME, imo.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
Sterling Sharpe may still make the HOF depite the shortened career...had he not gotten hurt he would have ended up with Rice-Like numbers.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Jacob
9 years ago
I dont know, I think nick collins was shaping out to be pretty beastly....kind of miss him.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Sterling Sharpe may still make the HOF depite the shortened career...had he not gotten hurt he would have ended up with Rice-Like numbers.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Sadly, for Sterling's sake, he was known as a first class prick so the odds he's voted in aren't real strong. That shouldn't play a role in voting, but it does.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

beast
9 years ago

For me it's Sterling Sharpe, LeRoy Butler and Terrence Murphy the most... Nick Collins probably should be there as well, but I don't know... I guess I'm just at peace with that one for some strange reason. I think Sharpe, Butler and Collins could of become locks for the NFL HOF, but aren't because of their injuries.

Murphy is a guy I barely ever hear about because Jennings was able to come in and play with away, which made people forget about Murphy.... but when Murphy came in, he seemed extremely raw talent... I think it would of taken him at least 3 years to get everything down and I might even guess they full break out might not come until year four... but his raw physical potential... it was a lot higher than any of these other WRs we have gotten, higher than Jennings, Nelson and Cobb. I felt like the kid had a ton of potential, if he was a hard worker and stayed out of trouble he was a lock for being a future #1 no questions asked type WR and feel like that was all taken away from the Packers.

I don't know I kind of disagree with Jermichael Finley and Jeremy Thompson being on this list... I guess Finley the first time because he was amazing before his first injury, but he also had a season where he was mentally off, and wasn't on the same page with Rodgers and other off the field drama stuff, so I guess I feel like it wasn't all injury with him.

Thompson, when healthy, had amazing movement skills for his size... and looked like an all star in shorts and then disappeared when the pads came on... I think that was simply not being mentally physical/tough... and injury did take him, but even if he stayed healthy, I'm not sure he would of become more than a ST/back-up guy.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.